Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2003 2:03:50 PM EDT
can i get my postban ar15 threaded for a flash suppressor or is this considered illegal btw if it helps it is a bushmaster
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/cracky/Good_pic.JPG
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:09:19 PM EDT
Negative. You can have it threaded and have a muzzle brake perm. installed but no flash suppressor or accessible threads. BTW, what kind of magazine is that in your Bushy? Looks weird.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2003 2:48:31 PM EDT by zer04evr]
its a 20rnd that was originally an off grey but i had it painted black to match the gun oh yeah also when this pointless weapons ban is over with then can i do this edit... the mags laying around ar from the ak47 they are 30 round
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:13:38 PM EDT
Not exactly so. It can be legally done. According for it to be concidered an assault weapon, you must have 2 or more banned features. The pistol grip counts as one. So, if you can figure a way to get rid of the pistol grip, such as by using a thumbhole stock, then it would be prefectly legal to have the threads AND flash hider. Main thing to remember is that you can only have one banned feature on a post ban.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:39:57 PM EDT
oh yeah also when this pointless weapons ban is over with then can i do this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:47:01 PM EDT
yes all day long and to all your post bans Unless you own a DIASor LL then you can have what ever you want
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:50:31 PM EDT
unless i own a what? sorry im a newbie to the AR world before this i was a mainly pistols revolvers and shotgun person
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:01:07 PM EDT
The correct term would Be RDIAS and RLL. Registered Drop in Auto Sear and Registered lightning links. Those items are considered machine guns. I fyou can find registered ones that can be transferred (not the ones in Shotgun News, etc.) then you can install them in a postban AR, making them registered machine guns. Since they would no longer be semiautomatic, they would no longer fall under the AW ban and you can thread it. Once the ban ends, though, you can get a post ban AR threaded for whatever attachment you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:11:51 PM EDT
thanks for the info now the day that ban goes away im gettin my ar threaded
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:22:44 PM EDT
In other words, start saving your [green]Green[/green] and join the Class III Club.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:26:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NAM: Not exactly so. It can be legally done. According for it to be concidered an assault weapon, you must have 2 or more banned features. The pistol grip counts as one. So, if you can figure a way to get rid of the pistol grip, such as by using a thumbhole stock, then it would be prefectly legal to have the threads AND flash hider. Main thing to remember is that you can only have one banned feature on a post ban.
View Quote
i thought thumbhole stocks were considered pistol grips by the BATFE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:56:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By photoman:
Originally Posted By NAM: Not exactly so. It can be legally done. According for it to be concidered an assault weapon, you must have 2 or more banned features. The pistol grip counts as one. So, if you can figure a way to get rid of the pistol grip, such as by using a thumbhole stock, then it would be prefectly legal to have the threads AND flash hider. Main thing to remember is that you can only have one banned feature on a post ban.
View Quote
i thought thumbhole stocks were considered pistol grips by the BATFE.
View Quote
The thumbhole stock loophole only works for the import ban. For the purposes of the AWB it is still a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:05:56 PM EDT
well... let me rephrase that then. Get a stock that uses no protruding pistol grip. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:47:22 PM EDT
View Quote
Not exactly, The A1 & A2 FHs are also grenade launchers. Now you see where Im going? GG
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:48:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NAM: Main thing to remember is that you can only have one banned feature on a post ban.
View Quote
Not exactly true. You can only have two, the AR has the pistol grip as one and a removable magazine is number two.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:00:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StewartTR:
Originally Posted By NAM: Main thing to remember is that you can only have one banned feature on a post ban.
View Quote
Not exactly true. You can only have two, the AR has the pistol grip as one and a removable magazine is number two.
View Quote
Now that i know is wrong. from 18 USC 921: [red]a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher; (C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and (D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine. [/red] It must have at least 2 to be concidered an Assault weapon. As for the flash hider, if you get it machined down, or oversized as to prevent it from functioning as a "grenade launcher" (what a bunch of crap), and permanently attached, that could be legal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2003 2:55:10 PM EDT by Stryfe]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Originally Posted By StewartTR:
View Quote
View Quote
Now that i know is wrong. from 18 USC 921: [red]a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher;
View Quote
You both said the same thing. Nam, it is a SAW if it has at least two, and you can't have a SAW, therefore, if it has [red]a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and [/red][blue](ii)a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; [/blue].
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:55:43 PM EDT
To even qualify as a SAW, it has to have 2 features. 1. Be semi automatic. 2. Have a conspicuous magazine protruding below the weapon. You are allowed one evil feature. GG
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2003 1:22:16 PM EDT by _DR]
www.zmweapons.com has a nice looking thumb hanger that fits in the place of a pistol grip, and would allow you to legally have a threaded barrel/flash suppressor *OR* a bayonet mount *OR* a folding stock (ONE, ONLY ONE). Most people just can't live without the pistol grip though. I may try it on the second AR I am building to see if it is shootable with the thumb hanger. doesn't look bad though, kinda futuristic. They call it a "horizontal grip": http://www.zmweapons.com/images/Horzgrip.jpg
Top Top