Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2003 7:13:48 AM EDT
Is this normal or did someone replace the bolt carrrier?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Should have looked like this one: [img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/sp1_smoothsidecarrier_159.jpg[/img]

Suspect a new BC/B.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It probably is the orriginal carrier.  I have one this way too. No FA yer the notched are on the bolt carrier.

A knowledible armoroer told me that in the SP1 era Colt was building Military and civilian rifles and used same parts for all of them if legal, thus you get whatever was on hand that day.

Mine is a 1974 Colapsible stock 16" barrel carbine and although it has been fired a lot it still functiond perfectly with what appears to be all original parts.  I have had it about 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys...it shoots great so it's not a problem, just noticed it last night and thought I'd ask.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
More SP1s will have the cuts than won't. The one shown by mr_wilson is 1960s vintage and so is less common. That said, I did once encounter a circa 1975 NIB SP1 that had none.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I thought it might have been the normal Colt practice of using whatever is at hand..my SP1 and I were born the same year, didn't find that out till I got it home, and thought it was pretty cool!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Kicker,
You must be a young'un. When I was born they were still cranking out M1 Garrands, but the short lived M14 would be coming out soon!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The carrier in my dad's SP1 has the cuts as well, but no forward assist.  I think it's pretty common.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an SP1 and a Car15 - around 1977-79 ,
both carriers had the cuts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kicker,
You must be a young'un. When I was born they were still cranking out M1 Garrands, but the short lived M14 would be coming out soon!
View Quote

Naw; you're the young'un. When I was born, they were still trying to decide whether to adopt the M1[:D]

Actually, I think it had been adopted, but production hadn't cranked up yet. Couldn't find out for sure, 'cause they wouldn't let me out of the baby nursury at Wesson Maternity Hospital, 1/2 mile from Springfield Armory, to check it out.[:D]

Re the bolt carrier, the vast majority of SP1s have the forward assist cuts, because the vast majority of them were made after the adoption of the M16A1, and all Colt ever used in their civie pieces have been whatever M16 type carriers were current, with the appropriate places ground down, right down to the current pieces.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Bah, when I was born the trapdoor springfield was all the rage here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
All three of the SP-1's I've owned had the cuts and semi cut carriers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol...well I have no problem being called young, I'm old enough to appreciate it!  And I enjoy my Garand just as much as my AR's..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top