Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2003 4:30:30 PM EDT
I'm a democrat with only two conservative sides: I'm pro gun and pro death penalty. However i was hoping that having a republican in office would give us hope regarding the soon to sunset AWB.
However i recall reading on a news site that both bush and ashcroft are IN FAVOR of the Ban and further restrictions. WHAT THE F*#K?!?!?!?!?!? I wish i could find the link (and believe me, i've tried) so you can read it yourself. But please do post a link if you can find it.
Don't want want to sound unamerican. I love this country, and I love my ARs, but can someone explain to me what is going on here?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been covered. The consensus is that it's a political smokescreen as it's unlikely to come up in congress.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Bush was on record during the elections that he supported the ban, but he never said he supported further restrictions. I will try and find a link for you on the subject. I can't remember where it was off the top of my head though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree w/ you my Liberal AR owning Friend.

And since you are a compasionate type and like to re-distribute wealth, how bout sending me a check so I can buy an AR, or at the least send me one of yours. See it's not fair that you have more than one and others have none.......

[img]http://carrasco.home.texas.net/mastpara.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, this is hopefully just politics.  Knowing DeLay will do everything he can to stop the ban renewal from getting to the floor, the Pres. can appease the anti crowd by going on record supporting their position.  

Tough choice for him if by some chance, he's actually confronted with having to sign/veto the renewal.  Mucho credibility at stake, no matter which way he goes.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The lack of willingness to take a firm stand on the issue of the Second Amendment is a serious character flaw for someone who claims to be a "compasionate CONSERVATIVE".  I understand the political angles of this issue, but I wish, just once, that we could get a political spokesman who would preach the message that "gun control" is not the same as "crime control".  The debate should hinge on the Second Amendment as a Civil Right.  No apologies.  Tell the Left to get over it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
[beathorse]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a democrat
View Quote
i'm sorry
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree w/ you my Liberal AR owning Friend.

And since you are a compasionate type and like to re-distribute wealth, how bout sending me a check so I can buy an AR, or at the least send me one of yours. See it's not fair that you have more than one and others have none.......

[url]http://carrasco.home.texas.net/mastpara.gif[/url]

View Quote

LOL! I forgot to mention, I'm also against Wealthfare (except to the disabled etc) But that is a different topic.

I can see your point about political Smokescreens and appeasing those soccermoms. I'll take back all the mean things i've said about them. My hope is somewhat restored.

Edited to add: ks_shooter, You have a very good point, and i completely agree with you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL! I forgot to mention, I'm also against Wealthfare (except to the disabled etc) But that is a different topic.
View Quote

Ok so you are pro gun and pro death penalty and you aren't in favor of a massive welfare state. Why are you a democrat?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok so you are pro gun and pro death penalty and you aren't in favor of a massive welfare state. Why are you a democrat?
View Quote

We're getting way off topic. So i'll answer this in an IM. Check your box bud.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

We're getting way off topic. So i'll answer this in an IM. Check your box bud.
View Quote

[s]The first three words of your initial post were "I'm a democrat.." - how is explaining your political stance "off-topic?"

Now, if you are ashamed of your "democratness," I'm sure we'll all understand and give you a pass...  [:D][/s]

Never mind... I didn't notice this was in [b]AR DISCUSSIONS[/b].  The whole thread is out of place.

[red]IBTL[red]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you are a Rep, who has a few Dem opinions!

See, now we can like you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Who gives a flying fu#k about the opinion of soccer moms! I don't try to outlaw their shit eating gas guzzeling SUV's. Which, by the way they can't even drive because they have thier cell phone crammed in their cake hole. Seems to me that me, and men like me, have fought the wars that have given them this freedom. Most noteably the gulf war, so they could afford the gas for these pigs. Now they want to tell me I can't have an AR to protect myself, and ensure the government doesn't become too tyranical.

what the fuck...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Democrats and Republicans alike believe that the vast majority of politicians are money grubbing power hungry assholes who take opinion polls so they can run out in front of the herd and wave a flag, until the polls say run in a different direction to wave a flag. This is easier than taking a stand for your principles and LEADING the people of the great republic!

How else can we reconcile REPUBLICANS being behind the Patriot Act? F'ing A-- talk about BIG GOVERNMENT in your FACE!

Pete
left of Democrat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How else can we reconcile REPUBLICANS being behind the Patriot Act? F'ing A-- talk about BIG GOVERNMENT in your FACE!

Pete
left of Democrat.
View Quote

If it makes all of you happier, i used to be more of a republican until this patriot act was enacted. Ever since then I sure miss living in the united states of america. (because to me, the america i loved died)
Does the word "gestapo" ring a bell with anyone?

IBTL btw hehehehe
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]
i keep seeing people whine about the partriot act and it may be fucked up but does anyone know anyone who has been negatively affected by it?  i would be really interested in reading that.  

in my opinion the country is headed in a better direction as far as freedom goes, a little at a time.  of course if a dem gets in we're all in trouble big time again.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Lockedon, I'm a sort of liberal pro-gun guy myself (although I don't label myself as I don't care for partisan politics in general).  Good to see I'm not the only one.  

While we're on the topic, I think that what we have right now in this country is sort of a 1950s a "Red Scare" kind of environment.  The government is using the perceived terrorist threat to it's own advantage in both positive and negative ways.  I think most of us here can agree to that.  

my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I totally agree AJjer_Bullets, we've entered a time very much like the red scare, or perhaps the area of the salem witch trials.

And inferno715, no i haven't been affected by the Patriot Act, nor can i claim that anyone else i know has. But it is more the principal of things that bothers me. One can now be arrested, imprisoned for an indefinate amount of time, without speaking to a lawyer (or anyone else for that matter) and without ever being charged with a crime. This is only one of the many facades of the patriot act. I know that it is in the name of security, but i believe the famous quote goes "give me liberty, or give me [b]DEATH[/b]" not "give me liberty or give me security".
IMHO
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top