Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2003 2:23:44 PM EDT
I have a buddy that is left handed and he wants an AR. What uppers are specifically built for lefties? Prices, quality of each?

Also, he says he may buy a 7.62x39 upper for it as well. Any laquer issues that will hurt the lower if the ruskie milsurp is used?

Thanks,

bd

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Only [url=dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=URSP-01A2]DPMS[/url] makes a "southpaw" upper receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Over the last 30 + years THOUSANDS of
left handed service men and women have
trained with and used various M16 model rifles.
[b](Myself included)[/b]

Unless your buddy has some physical problem ,
he can too.
[b]If it aint broke-dont fix it[/b][8D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My lil' bro is a leftie, and he has no problem with the AR platform.  In fact, he loves it.

One of the PSG's in my company is a leftie, too.  Again, no complaints.

In other words, I don't think there's any real drawback to being a leftie using a "righty" AR receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Over the last 30 + years THOUSANDS of
left handed service men and women have
trained with and used various M16 model rifles.
[b](Myself included)[/b]

Unless your buddy has some physical problem ,
he can too.
[b]If it aint broke-dont fix it[/b][8D]
View Quote

Absolutely correct

Tens of thousands of southpaws have used standard ARs and M16s over the years without problems.  Tell your friend to stop looking for ways to spend uneccessary bucks on an AR, and get a standard A2 or A3/M4 type---and spend the dough he saved on ammo for practice[:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It sucks the all fireamrs are desighned for righties.  I'm right handed but left eye dominante so I shoot lefty.  As long as your buddy's rifle has a good strong ejector spring and extractor spring no brass will ever hit him in the face.  If his rifle has good eject/extrac spring the brass will fly out at the 2 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm the same as david10066, and I have no problem with my AR rifles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm as lefty as they come, and six years of service weapons and my personal AR's, I've never once had a problem. Now the M249, thats another story [:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing I was glad to see with the A2 model (other than easier to adjust sights) was the brass deflector built in.  All those years in the service with the A1 and rigged up deflectors drove me nuts.  No problems with the A2 and newer styles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm right handed but shoot lefty with no problems except for one small detail:

My AR-15 has a STAR safety selector...it sometimes rubs my finger when shooting because of using my left hand. Not a big deal, but it doesn't do it righty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, he says he may buy a 7.62x39 upper for it as well. Any laquer issues that will hurt the lower if the ruskie milsurp is used?
View Quote

Three things bluduk15:

1. Buy your 7.62x39 upper from Model 1 sales.  [url]http://www.model1sales.com[/url]
2. Buy your ammo from Vector Arms.  [url]http://www.vectorarms.com[/url]
3.  Thank us here at AR15.com for knowing how to help you. (Be a member!)

IMHO...  I am telling you that I have gone through so many different russian boxes of 7.62x39 that I thought I had completely wrecked my upper.  The only ammo that works is 30 cent per round American ammo or the Zimbabwe Cheetah.  I have had some good luck with copper brushed Norinco ammo for SKS rifles (on stripper clips) that are around 10 cents a round.
If anything, DON"T SHOOT WOLF IN AN AR!!!  That red "nail polish" on the cartridge will jam up big time.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of people here have shot Wolf in ARs with no trouble...I put 600 rounds through my brand new Armalite upper, with nary a problem.  

I don't shoot it now just because it's not very accurate...I can reload better ammo for the same money.  

Clean your rifle after you shoot Russian ammo...if you see more lacquer residue than you're comfortable with, don't shoot it anymore.  I never saw any, and the general consensus seems to be that unless you're shooting sustained full auto, the lacquer isn't an issue.  

Other people will tell horror stories about commie ammo, but YMMV.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Right-handed, left eye dominant here. No problems working with the regular right side eject. The only concern I would have is if I ever would have to shoot to the right, across my body I'd get hot brass inbedded in my chest but then again if I'm ever in that situation I'll have a lot more things to be worried about...
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm as lefty as they come, and six years of service weapons and my personal AR's, I've never once had a problem. Now the M249, thats another story [:)]
View Quote
My lil' bro is lefty, and he's a SAW gunner right now ... I should ask him about it next time I get a chance ...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m left handed and have found that all I need is the shell deflector of the A2. Tell your friend to just stick with that and not buy the southpaw upper. If he ever has to sell it I don’t think it’ll be too easy. Only lefties would ever buy it and of those most of would just stick with the A2. Another solution to a problem that no longer exists.

As for the safety/selector; I hate the ambi s/s out there and am trying to have a simple jig built so I can use a drill press to make the dimples where the detent goes, but for the side of the s/s where the external switch is. This way I could just use a normal safety switch, just pull it out of the weapon and put it back in the other side. I don’t know if it gets any simpler than that.

Best regards, T
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
ARs are the most ambidextrous rifle in existence IMHO, as long as it has a brass deflector there is nothing else you need to do other than perhaps an ambi safety.
View Quote

You don't have to change the safety on an M1A/M14! Brass ejects at the 2 to 3 o'clock position if the rifle is clean. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out this lefty:

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/6766sealmonrovia.jpg[/img]

Taken from this other thread:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168017[/url]

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As for the safety/selector; I hate the ambi s/s out there and am trying to have a simple jig built so I can use a drill press to make the dimples where the detent goes, but for the side of the s/s where the external switch is. This way I could just use a normal safety switch, just pull it out of the weapon and put it back in the other side. I don’t know if it gets any simpler than that.
View Quote

Somebody, I don't know who, used to make just such a reversible safety. If anyone still does, though, I haven't seen it offered lately.

And remember, you DON'T have to remove the grip to take the safety out; just cock the hammer, give the safety a 1/2 turn between SAFE and FIRE and push it out with something non-marring. The amount of force needed may vary; sometimes I have gotten one out just by pulling on the thumb-lever itself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#19]
How many of you lefties out there check out every movie for the left-handed shooters? I know that I do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Great info. Thanks guys.

bd

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I am left eye dominant/shoot lefty and have zero issues firing with normal AR uppers.  I have however, thought about building an AR with a lefty upper.  In the end, it is not worth the cost considering there are few advantages to it.  Tell your friend to forget about the left upper.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a DPMS lefty 20" bull barrel AR, and think it works great....I shoot bolts,levers,semi-auto's,etc. left handed and don't think too much of it,but, when DPMS made a left handed version, bought it, and am glad I did.......why not buy one if you are left handed, and it's available???......as for selling it, it shouldn't bother a right handed shooter either if it doesn't bother a lefty shooting a right hand action........my son and grandson shot it and it didn't bother them one bit being right handed......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top