Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2003 11:19:26 PM EDT
I currently have a Ergo(ambi) grip on my AR15 and I was wondering if there was any dimensional difference between the two grips?

The Ergo grip feels ok but it could be a bit wider. I see in pics that the G27 has more pronounced finger grooves but I'm more concerned with how it fills the hand.

I would appreciate hearing from any AR owners that have the G27, and especially you guys that switched from the Ergo.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the G27. I feel that it fills my hand nicely. Much better then the standard grip. I've never used the Ergo though. It looks nice though :) [img]http://home.comcast.net/~gtcrispy/ar15_2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If you already have an Ergo, try this.  Buy some small self-tapping screws and drill/screw them into the areas of the grip you'd like filled out.  Buy some 'plumbers' epoxy' from a hardware store - it comes in a cigar-tube, is usually gray in color and has a black core.  The epoxy is activated by squeezing it and working it like dough.  Shape the epoxy around the grip and grab it a few times to shape it to your hand.  The self-tapper heads will make sure it doesn't slip around.  leave it for an hour until it's hard and warm (get your mind out of the gutter) and sand it to shape with course sandpaper like 180 grit.  Spary with black BBQ paint !Presto! - custom pistol grip!  Pay special attention to the hand web area and moving it back from the trigger.  I don't know why the original grip designer thought AR triggers should be pulled with the 2nd finger joint, your groups will improve if you use the finger pad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
If you allready have a ergo grip I wouldn't change to the G27. I own the G27 and it is a very nice grip. The finger grooves are very comfortable and it feels good to the hand. The problem is (and I think this is for you) it is not very wide. I had a similiar post and talked to allot of people on the board about how the grip would put my finger in a better position on the trigger. Almost everybody including the adds for the G27 says that it will put your finger in the proper position on the trigger. It's not the case. I have found that it is very comfortable but did nothing to put my finger tip on the trigger. It is wider but at the bottom of the grip which does little to put your finger where you want it. The grip would need to be at least 1 inch wider at the top maybe 1 1/2" to put my finger tip on the trigger correctly. I am 6'2" and 250lbs so my hands are bigger than average but there smaller than average for my size. I think even for a relitivly small hand it would need to be wider at the top.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I put a G27 on my Bushy carbine. It is about the same width (side to side) as an Ergo but is a little deeper (front to back) than the Ergo. I like it much better than the mil-spec grip and the Ergo. It does fill my hand better and puts my trigger finger in a much more natural position. The plug on the bottom of the grip is a joke, as far as using that area for storage anyway. If you really want a hand filling grip check out the SPR (Siera Precision). I put one  on my Bushy 20" target rifle. It's by far the best feeling grip I've ever used on an AR. It has a large thumb rest area on it which would make it awkward to use left handed. So I think the G27 would be a superior grip for your battle rifle.

Shabo
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the Ergo, I really didn't like it much...too narrow, as you say, and I didn't like the feel of the plastic.  The G27 is better, IMHO; it's  a little wider, and the plastic feels better.  To me, hands down, the best AR grip is the Hogue.  Great feeling material, and the grip fits my hands perfectly.  I screw around with other grips, just for grins, but eventually I always go back to the hogue.  

I just put the Sierra Precision Grip on my DPMS .308...I'm sure at some point, the Hogue willl go back on that one as well.  Once you get used to the feel of that rubber, or whatever it is, the very plasticky feel of everything else just doesn't cut it, IMHO.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Got G27 comming in the mail will let you know how I like it after I install it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys! Now it looks like I gotta give the Sierra Precision grip some consideration! After I get one of these grips (heck,maybe both),I'm gonna have at least two spares(original Colt & Ergo). Geez.......NOW I have to get "more" AR's (or lowers)to put these grips on!

When will it end? Ever notice ya jus' can't buy one accessory(like a grip)and be done? LOL

And Monkey-man...my mind "was not" in the gutter(but it is NOW!)hehehe
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
i have the G27 on mine and i really like it.  i can only compare it to the original grip though.
i think the g27 fills my hand well but i have to agree i dont feel that it has changed my finger positioning.

i would say stick w/ the ergo unless you just really like the looks of the g27 better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I put a G27 on my BM carbine and really like it.  The main improvement IMHO was the more pronounced finger groves and greater thickness.  The trigger finger placement differences in the ergo and G27 are negligible.  I would say it all comes down to which you believe looks better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Had the Ergo grip.  Like how I could put my hand all theway up in the beaver tail and it backed the hand off the trigger so its not so cramped.  The only thing I didnt like was it was TOO THIN.

Got the G27 grip instead of the SPR grip because the SPR grip is not ambi.  G27 grip has a harder feeling plastic than the Ergo by a tiny amount.  It is wider and more hand filling.  If you love the Ergo but just wish it was a little wider the G27 fits the bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I'll try the G27 before the Sierra grip,and thats only if necessary.

Devl,

You must have been readin' my mind because I do wish the Ergo was wider.

YoungOne21,

I think the G27 looks better but I will wait until I get one. Overall it looks like you can get a more secure grip on it.It seems like it looking at pics. Wish I had bought it first then maybe I wouldn't have to get another! Oh well,live and learn.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several of both.  The ergo looks better, has a more 'finished' look, but the G27 feels better in my hand.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
For range shooting, G27 is not a bad design, but for a fighting gun, the Ergo ambi is the clear winner. becuase the aggressive finger groove build into the G27 will cause transition from hand to hand a problem, if you grab the G27 a little off, the finger groove can cause some pain, and uncomfortable hand position.  as for the Ergo, the grip is setup so no matter how you grip it the handposition aren't too far off.

My personal favorite is the Tangodown Battlegrip, best combat grip ever made.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got G27 comming in the mail will let you know how I like it after I install it.
View Quote

Ditto - I ordered my G27 on Monday night...Here's the guy i got mine from. Killer deal i may add. [url]http://www.blackrifles.com/[/url]
It should be in either tomorrow or saturday, i'll let you know how it is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Lockedon,

The price I saw on the website was 23.95 .Is this correct?

If you have a FFL or C&R you can get 'em from Brownells for 16 and change not including shipping.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I must correct myself CrazyIrishman, I acctually got it from Ebay, along with a bunch of other stuff. Thats how i got the deal. However the guy i got it from, also has that website. Sorry about the confusion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Have g-27 and love it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Lockedon,

Thats ok. I was just curious. I ordered mine from Brownells today along with a small pivot pin,spring,and detent for mine. The grip was exactly 16.00 .
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Garryowen,

Thank you! That might not be a bad idea!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Who was it that was making the spacer to move the grip back about 3/8"?  A fatter Ergo in combination with the spacer thing would probably work.  Anyone knows where to get one of those spacer things?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Monkey-Man
 I recently bought a g-27 grip and found that it still didn't help finger position, so i took your advice.... I used Perma Poxy made by Permatex that I found at the local K-mart. I formed it to extend the rear of the grip back a little over a 1/4 inch and wrapped the rest around the sides to blend with the grip. After an hour or so I sanded everything to form a nice smooth transition, painted it with ultra flat black and slipped a piece of bicycle tube over it. WOW ,what a difference! Now this is how they should make an aftermarket grip, it's great.  Thanks for the info.
Cory[%|]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the same position as just-shot-it. I really like the feel of the G27 along with the look but my finger still hits the trigger at the knuckle. I have seen several grips that were very wide but they were all slim at the top, which is where they need to be wider to bring the finger position back some. If your looking just to improve your finger position don't get the G27.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I put my G27 on last night and for the most part it feels better in the way it fills the hand but I'm not crazy 'bout the texture. If Falcon Industries decide to make a fatter grip with a rubber skin I think they(Falcon) would have a winner.

If they added a fourth grip to their line-up to complement the first three in production,it might be possible to cover most hand sizes. (just my .02)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top