Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT
Can someone inform me about what exactly the feedramp on an AR is? Pics are VERY welcome. Assume I know nothing about an AR just so I'll be sure to understand.

(dang, hard to ask such a stupid question and not feel like a total newb)
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:42:28 PM EDT
On the barrel extension at about the 5:30 and 6:30 position you will see where there are 2 slots where the locking lugs widen out. These channel the bullet noses up into the chamber, hence the term feed ramps. (If you ever ate your own buggers you get this).
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2003 8:06:32 PM EDT by YoungOne21]
Haha, great analogy [:)]. I should've known that though. I was wondering what those larger lug openings were for the first time I tore down my new carbine/first AR15. Much thanks man. So are there different types of feedramps? I noticed someone talking about M4 style ramps. Whats with that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:01:54 PM EDT
M4 feed ramps are a bit deeper, so that they can feed certain longer rounds more reliably. - Nw -
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:08:47 PM EDT
I've got a comparison picture for you YoungOne if someone can post it for me. IM me about it. E-95
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:17:16 PM EDT
Never mind. I found where Troy had been kind enough to post the photo: [img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2881[/img] Clear it up for you YoungOne? E-95
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:25:54 AM EDT
Yep, I get it now. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:19:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By E-95: Never mind. I found where Troy had been kind enough to post the photo: [url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2881[/url] Clear it up for you YoungOne? E-95
View Quote
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I find it interesting how the deeper milled notches on the Colt actually undercut the cavity wall of the receiver as well as the barrel extension. This machining operation is apparently not done at this assembly level, as the notches are not lined up perfectly. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible this particular upper has been disassembled and then reassembled and the barrel extension was not timed perfectly to the receiver body. –RR
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:36:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By the1_roadrunner: Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I find it interesting how the deeper milled notches on the Colt actually undercut the cavity wall of the receiver as well as the barrel extension. This machining operation is apparently not done at this assembly level, as the notches are not lined up perfectly. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible this particular upper has been disassembled and then reassembled and the barrel extension was not timed perfectly to the receiver body. –RR
View Quote
Yea, I noticed that too Roadrunner. I don't know if this is typical or just an isolated incident. Ultimately it boils down to how well it feeds and we can only ask Troy in this instance since it's his weapon. E-95
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:15:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By E-95:
Originally Posted By the1_roadrunner: Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I find it interesting how the deeper milled notches on the Colt actually undercut the cavity wall of the receiver as well as the barrel extension. This machining operation is apparently not done at this assembly level, as the notches are not lined up perfectly. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible this particular upper has been disassembled and then reassembled and the barrel extension was not timed perfectly to the receiver body. –RR
View Quote
Yea, I noticed that too Roadrunner. I don't know if this is typical or just an isolated incident. Ultimately it boils down to how well it feeds and we can only ask Troy in this instance since it's his weapon. E-95
View Quote
I'd be willing to bet it feeds just fine. After all the AR is not a system dependent on extremely precise mechanical interface or fits. But I have to admit, just looking at that pic makes my hand quiver wanting to pick up a die grinder or file and blend those corners in.....LOL [:D] --RR
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:45:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By the1_roadrunner: I'd be willing to bet it feeds just fine. After all the AR is not a system dependent on extremely precise mechanical interface or fits. But I have to admit, just looking at that pic makes my hand quiver wanting to pick up a die grinder or file and blend those corners in.....LOL [:D] --RR
View Quote
I'm the same way. It's not [i]just[/i] right so I'd have to grind it down. Looks aren't too important to me (my M4gery has a few nicks and dings that don't bother me) but machined parts should fit correctly. I'm just too much of a perfectionist! [%|] E-95
Top Top