Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 3:56:14 PM EDT
I have just decided to begin work on what will be my most in-depth and personal AR project as of yet. I already have several AR's, but I feel each is lacking in some regard. It may be the twist rate, the barrel length, the sighting options, etc. While I love them all, I consider none of them the perfect match for me or the "all-around" AR. Therefore I plan to start what may be a long and drawn out project. It may take me a year to finish it and cost a considerable amount of money. But when completed I want it to be something that I can consider as close to perfect as possible. In  other words I wanna make sure I do it right this time and not act on impulse.

Here are my goals:

1. Lightweight - I like HBAR's but with this one I intend to keep the weight down as much as possible. Therefore I am looking at either an M4 or 16" lightweight set-up. I am agreeable to either the pinned tele-stocks or the standard A2 style.

2. Twist rate - I plan to use the 75-77 gr OTM loads in it, therefore it must be capable of stabilizing them. The 1:7 twist is a must have.

3. Flat-Top - I want to have the best and widest range of options when it comes to optics. So no A2 style models with carry handles will work. The ARMS #40 flip-up rear site is also likely to find it's way onto my gun.

4. It must be something that I can trust and count on to perform. I want something that isn't prone to breaking or jamming. I realize any gun can have problems, but it seems some are more prone to it than others. Again, cost isn't a deciding factor here, only quality.

5. I plan to use it with a Sure Fire 660 weapon light. It is nothing fancy, but it is simple, reliable and proven. That's actually the way I want the entire rifle to be.

6. The intended range of use will be 0-300 yards, with possible ranges extending out to 500 yards. The area I live in is not conducive to long range shots anyway, with all of the rolling hills and thick forests. I feel 300 yards around here would be my longest shot anyway for the most part.

Those are really my only requirements as far as the carbine goes. I don't necessarily want something fancy, I just want the most versatile package I can put together while keeping it as simple and lightweight as possible. With that said, I have already located a couple of potential candidates:

- The Colt Model 6731 complete rifle has all of the traits in the rifle I am seeking besides the light weight barrel. Do they make a similar model that isn't an HBAR?

-Bushmaster has their M4 and 16" carbines. While these meet many of my requirements, they have the 1:9 twist barrels as standard. I know I can buy 1:7 twist barrels from Bushmaster, but if I buy a complete rifle I would rather get the barrel I want already on it.

- CMMG has what is probably the closest match to what I am seeking that I have found so far. It is a DPMS pre-ban M4A3 complete upper with a chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel. If I get it I would attempt to mate it up with a DPMS forged lower and a pinned tele-stock. I would remove the A2 flash hider and permanently attach a Cav Comp or get Kurt to attach one of his A2 fake flash hiders. I would also grind away the bayo lug to keep it post-ban compliant. But I have never owned a DPMS before and I am not sure I trust then the way I would a Colt or a Bushmaster. I have heard some folks over on Tactical Forums (these guys are real pros who know their guns) say that the DPMS products were a little more prone to breaking certain parts. This makes me a tad worried. So what kind of luck have you guys had with DPMS? Can I trust them to work and hold together?

And finally, what other options do I have? I assume Rock River Arms also makes something that closely mirrors what I am looking for. But I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with those either. What do they offer and how good are they?

I will be appreciative of all feedback you have to offer. Feel free to include any links to products or add pictures of any finished guns that are close to what I am describing. Again, I want a rifle that will do as many things as possible and be something with my own personal touches. I don't care if I buy it complete or build it just as long as I have a finished product with those features and specs I have listed. I have made at least 1 compromise or more on each AR I have bought. While I like them all, I wish to have something a bit more versatile. So give me your opinions and help me pick the right gun or components.

Thanks,

-Charging Handle

PS, I have a thread going over in the optics forum right now seeking input on Trijicon ACOG scopes. Feel free to jump into that one as well if you are interested!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Lightweight , Flattop , 1-7 twist .

Since you already mentioned KurtsKustom ,
He can do ANYTHING you want to a bbl. except
change the twist [:D]. So a 1/7 barrel is
the first prerequisite.

How about a Krieger to start with? [:D]
[url]http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/product_info.php[/url]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pd3ef1ce34e92becd686fc71d969ff0e1/fc479066.jpg[/img]

here ya go, lightweight 5.5lb. has surefire light. components:

Bushmaster superlight weight barrel (substitute for your own)
DPMS lo-pro upper
OLY lower
ACE stock
Cheap Flip up rear
also has EOTECH 552 (not pictured)
Trijicon frontsite post
Trigger job
[:D]

*EDIT* this is more of a CQB rifle, i havent shot it at 100yrds yet, but i know it would do it. it has always been reliable and the rifle has never caused a jam, the mags were a diff. story, it seems ya wanna buy one outa the box, that could be more difficult, that is why i BUILT mine, the only changes i will make to the one pictured above is the barrel, instead of pencil thin all the way back, i would have it fat under handguards and thin out from front site post with no brake. it would make the weight more central instead of front heavy (sorta kinda). hope this helps.

also, I love the DPMS lo-pro upper, it is SOOOOO sleek and smooth. its weird lookin at my dissy with all the crap on the sides (FA, Dustsheild and brass deflector) LOL.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a beauty of a finish on that carbine die-tryin. I bet that it almost disappears if you lay down among leaves and stuff.

For a serious use gun, are you concerned at all about not having a dust cover? It would seem that it would be very easy for lots of junk to enter your rifle through that opening.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep em coming!

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Now like I told you. If you would have picked up all that Freeeeeeee Stuffffff from your boss, you'd be half way there already. Wouldn't you???????
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Now like I told you. If you would have picked up all that Freeeeeeee Stuffffff from your boss, you'd be half way there already. Wouldn't you???????
View Quote

Huh?

What boss? What free stuff? Either you have me confused with someone else, you are quoting a line from a movie, or else you are smoking some really powerful stuff, because I don't have a clue as to what in the hell you are talking about! LOL.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Charging_Handle

KY,  USA
User Info Reply Quote Send IM Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a buddy who told me he has a bunch of this stuff that he's had for a couple of years in a storage building and says it's just in his way. He told me I could have it if I would come and get it. Other than it's intended use, what are some other things I could do with this stuff? I tend to be a bit of a pack rat and like to find clever ways to use things. Can you folks think of any useful purposes for this stuff or should I just leave it in this guy's garage? I hate to turn down anything if it's free, even if I don't know what I could use it for! LOL.

-Charging Handle

A buddy. I stand corrected. Sorry.

I remember. Do you?????????
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster by special order does 1/7 twists on their M4 and 20" A2 barrels.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Charging_Handle

KY,  USA
User Info Reply Quote Send IM Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a buddy who told me he has a bunch of this stuff that he's had for a couple of years in a storage building and says it's just in his way. He told me I could have it if I would come and get it. Other than it's intended use, what are some other things I could do with this stuff? I tend to be a bit of a pack rat and like to find clever ways to use things. Can you folks think of any useful purposes for this stuff or should I just leave it in this guy's garage? I hate to turn down anything if it's free, even if I don't know what I could use it for! LOL.

-Charging Handle

A buddy. I stand corrected. Sorry.

I remember. Do you?????????
View Quote

Dude, that post was in reference to some high pressure air hose my buddy was trying to give me, not rifle parts! I was asking to see what the stuff could be used for other than it's intended purposes. Why did you purposely leave out that information since it was so clearly stated in the topic of that post? I don't see what your point is or what this could possibly have to do with this thread. In fact it just strikes me as a little weird.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
actually it is mainly just a range gun, and from what i have seen and my own experience in the marine corps , we never put the dust cover up anyway. lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
actually it is mainly just a range gun, and from what i have seen and my own experience in the marine corps , we never put the dust cover up anyway. lol.
View Quote

Its kinda handy for keeping out....oh I dont know....dust.

Mine is closed unless rounds are going down range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Troy, why won't an lo-pro DPMS upper go with a RAS or a SIR?  I know if the rail height is off, the SIR is out, but why not the RAS?  Is the rail height non-standard on these uppers?

*edit*  RAS II, ok obviously a non-spec rail height.  RAS II and SIR are out because of their interaction with the rail and the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for all of your help. Troy, as usual, your advice is top notch. I will print this thread out when it's finished so I won't forget any of the details. Thanks again!

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top