Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/16/2003 3:15:58 AM EDT
Have any of you tried Brownells TEFLON molycote finish? It is a ready to spray paint can that needs oven baking. Is this a lot better than ALUMAHYDE, which is too thick that it almost "hides" the stampings on the lower.Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:10:12 AM EDT
I'm wondering about the same product......can you use the oven at home, do I need to wait for the wife to go out of town....the smell? vapors? what to bake on.....thanks...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:48:31 AM EDT
I have used it on a couple of home AK47 builds. It seems thick also, but very durable. I used the kitchen oven for the first one, but reconsidered because the fumes were so bad... don't want my kids to grow teeth out their foreheads from contaminated food. So, I bought a used little toaster oven for $10 to do it outside. Generally, I would only use paint for a cheesy project like AKs or some POS shooter. For my real builds I do home blueing, anodizing, or parkerizing. Its more work but the finish ends up professional.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:55:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2003 9:57:32 AM EDT by Zardoz]
I just refinished my pistol with the OD yesterday, as a matter of fact. Here's a link to the thread I just posted. [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=5596[/url] To answer an above question: It beats the absolute shit out of Alumahyde II.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:19:45 AM EDT
I use it all the time. Follow the directions and it works awesome. Order extra spray nozels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:29:57 AM EDT
The teflon/moly finish can be a bit difficult on some finishes. For best results it is wise to have something with a rougher finish, bead blasted steel or cast steel usually is okay. But I had a problem getting it to stick to anodized aluminum like that of uppers/lowers or magazine bodies. Alumahyde II really was better if doing aluminum parts or parts that were a bit more smooth in surface finish. The teflon/moly is a tad bit thinner finish than Alumahyde II but surface prep is a bit more critial.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:24:36 PM EDT
I have used it with great success on anodized aluminum. You absolutely need a sand blaster.
Top Top