Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2003 9:09:49 PM EDT
I recently bought a used 14.5 barrel with a "fabian brothers" flash hider attached to it. Would you know any source regarding information about such a hider? I never heard of it. And what flash hider can you recommend for a 11.5 and 14.5 inches M16?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's the combo flash suppressor/muzzle brake, with the three lines of tiny holes behind the flash suppressor slots, it's one of the best muzzle devices for the AR ever made. I'm only sorry I got them for an AK and Galil, and never picked up one for the AR, before they went out of production.

Last I saw of them, they were being distributed by an outfit in Arkansas (can't remember the name) which itself has since gone out of business. Been using mine on my preban Galil and various of my AKs for 15+ years.

Still wish I'd picked on up for the AR [;D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you think we could make more by buying the 4" long flash suppressors from Bushmaster and drilling a hole pattern in the extra space?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the Vortex G-6 design on both the 9.5" COMPAK-16 and the 14.0" R2.  While any flash hider alone is of limited utility on a very short barrel, it really puts the flame down to zilch on the R2.  What I really like about these FH units is that they were designed as QD suppressor interfaces.  Will have a AT LTD QD-223 end of month to play with.  Just got in yesterday the newest Vortex -- in fact it's so new only about 10 or so exist.  It's for the TTR-700 Tactical Take Down Rifle and the USSOCOM .300 WMs and designed for the MD-30S thread pattern.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
"Fabian"? or, maybe, the "Fabio"?? Two versions available from DPMS.
[url=dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BL-23]BL-23[/url]
[url=dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BL-29]BL-29[/url]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an original Fabian Bros. brake on a Steyr AUG, and my friend had one on his AUG and currently has one on his AR carbine.
Best damn brake I ever used.
I'd love to find an original one for my new shorty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Kumusta Ka,
[img]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/5372145611/ACF3B2E.jpg[/img]
Kaibigan
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup Kisara!!thats the one!!Whats the small holes on the top? Does it really have good flash and sound suppresion? Can one have a muzzle brake that compensates for recoil?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup Kisara!!thats the one!!Whats the small holes on the top? Does it really have good flash and sound suppresion? Can one have a muzzle brake that compensates for recoil?
View Quote

No sound suppression, but very good muzzle rise reduction, and flash suppression at least  equal to the as issued job.  For best results, you mount the thing with the small holes tilted off center to the right if you're right handed, or to the left if you're a southpaw like me. I've fired  bursts from the Galil in which all holes in the target were straight up and down, no side movement at all, and all within a couple of inches at 25 yards for 5 round bursts[:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
This is one that I had in my spare parts box forever. I had a friend shorten it so it makes a 14.5" barrel 16.1" when permenantly attached. He also put the grooves resembling an A2 flash suppressor. The two rows of holes closest to the barrel are covered up inside by the barrel but the other two are clear. It does fairly well.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17207[/img]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, your friend did an awesome piece of work there!  If he is "for hire", I sure would like to have his name/number for future reference with any little projects I run into.  

Excellent job![beer]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top