Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 9:45:24 PM EDT
I know there are good quality AR makers out there, but among all the brands, is Armalite considered premium? More so than Colt, or about on the same level?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if I could single out the "best" AR manufacturer. Only the worst.(Hesse/CAI)

I don't think you could go wrong with Bushmaster,Armalite,Colt or Rock River.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
"One of the best", you bet.  I agree with the above comment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe ACCURACY, fit and finish go to ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
My Armalite is my most accurate AR, followed by my Colt. My Bushmaster is the least. To be fair though, the Armalite is more of a target type rifle. Fit and finish are about equal with the Armalite and Colt, again, the Bushy is last. They all work in the function department.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Not in my book. There are only Colts and Bushmasters in my safe. I have seen too many functioning issues with Armalite to trust my life to them. But I am sure there are lots of Armalites out there that are just fine. But simple preference leads me elsewhere first.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The higher cost and longer wait for the Armalite is not worth it, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Our most accurate AR15’s are pre-ban Colt .223 and pre-ban Colt 9mm.

Our Armalite AR10”s are scary accurate even with surplus 147gr Hirtenberger.

As far as AR15’s go we only have Bushmaster and Colts.

Our Colts are more reliable than our Bushmasters though I suppose the Bushmasters will come up to speed after they get a couple thousand more rounds down range.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#8]
No.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
ArmaLite would be considered a premium brand, but in no way the "best".  If you want inexpensive accuracy, an Olympic Arms with an Ultramatch barrel will work.  Since these discussions have drifted towards accuracy, I've noticed that most of the people that I see shooting AR's still have the stock triggers in them.  IMHO, that should be the first thing to consider when building an accurized rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt and Bushmaster are the best. Chrome lined barrels, and forged front sight towers make them more like the Military rifles. Colt has more quality control, magnetic aprticle instpection, for example. I've been told Bushmaster does this as well, but Colt barrels AND bolts are marked.

Armalite, formerly know as Eagle Arms, DPMS and RRA make nice commercial grade rifles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Knights SR-15 M4
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Armalite's fit and finish one of the best. I have several thousand rounds thru mine without complaint.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

Yes.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Knights SR-15 M4
View Quote

I have both the ArmaLite M15A4 Carbine and the SR-15 M4.  Both are excellent.  However, My ArmaLite has the chrome lined barrel and it gets the nod.

[b]Remember, the 'AR' in AR-15 still stands for ARmalite !![/b]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

Yes.

[:D]
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]
nope
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Saying it is [b][u]THE[/b][/u] best is a be all and end all statement. Armalite is not THE best. Is it among the best, sure, I think so. If you want THE best, get in touch with Wes at [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url] and they will build you a custom gun from butt stock to muzzle device that will be THE best.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I meant the best STOCK AR. Thanks for all the comments so far.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saying it is [b][u]THE[/b][/u] best is a be all and end all statement. Armalite is not THE best. Is it among the best, sure, I think so. If you want THE best, get in touch with Wes at [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url] and they will build you a custom gun from butt stock to muzzle device that will be THE best.
View Quote

Agree.

Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt, the big three, the ABCs of AR15 manufacture.  go with either you will have an excellent rifle.

Heck even Rock river can give you a reliable rifle for aw long as you own it.

Please remember, a rifle is like acar, you will need schedule maintenance to keep the gun running.  it is good to keep spare parts for your rifle. it is not like a car where you can run to your local auto parts store and pick up an extractor spring or a hammer spring.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Best fit function and owner warranty... armalite hands down.

As for best in relibility and accuracy its a toss up for me. Amalite, colt, dpms, bushy  in no particular order.

I can say this. I had to use my armalite warranty. My fault a part broke not the rifle. I emailed them for a parts cost on sunday afternoon. Sunday night i got a reply saying my parts were on the way no charge. Got them tues. afternoon. I don't think colt can top that.

mike
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

On this we do agree !!  (But you can be certain that someone else will say that company X builds the best.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Iv'e used them all and can say that the two best are RRA and BM, in no particular order.
ARMALITE THE BEST [puke]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#24]
i wouldnt buy a armilite
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]
After recent troubles with Armalite, I would have to rank them below Colt and Bushy. They did fix the problems for me. I give them credit for that. However its always better to ship the rifle right the first time. So Colt and Bushy get the nod.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got 2 Armalite AR15's and a AR10.Does that tell you?Actually there is no overall"Best".All the big 3 have different things going for them.What sold me on Armalite was fit/finish,lifetime warrenty and OUTSTANDING customer service.You won't go wrong with any of the big 3.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
My vote is for Bushmaster. No problems and their customer service is great. They even exchanged barrels for me on my post-ban from a Mini-Y to an AK because I wasn't satisfied with it. And Bushmaster does mark their barrels. Mine has B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR on it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My vote is for Bushmaster. No problems and their customer service is great. They even exchanged barrels for me on my post-ban from a Mini-Y to an AK because I wasn't satisfied with it. And Bushmaster does mark their barrels. Mine has B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR on it.
View Quote

I second that....I can't possibly count the amount of times i've praised their customer service on this forum...I'm more than satisfied with all of my bushmasters and their C/S
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top