Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2003 6:36:00 AM EDT
I know this has probably been asked to death .I am almost ready to buy me a ar15 and I was talking with my brotherinlaw the other day who's owned both ar15 and ar10.He was telling me not to waist my money on the ar15 and that the ar10 is a far better gun.He said it's more accurate,alot more power,and that the ar15 in 223 is just to weak.

So what is your opion and why?please tells us if you,ve owned both and have first hand knowlage.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
More power, less capacity, heavier to carry, magazines more expensive. Accuracy could goto either gun depending upon the individual rifle.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
More power, less capacity, heavier to carry, magazines more expensive. Accuracy could goto either gun depending upon the individual rifle.

View Quote

Could not have said it better.

Now, go help the economy and get the first one you can afford and start saving for the other.

Dave S
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
 You WILL have both. AR rifles are very addictive and you can't just own one. Even if it takes you a few months or another year to save for another, you will have another AR rifle. You will have at least a 20" AR15, a 16-18" M4, and will have an AR10 at some point, but not necessarily in that order.
[:D]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have six bills and am selling a old sxs 12ga shot gun.I'll have about 850 and was perrty set on a RRA 24 inch varrmit rifle.But now I'm thinking I may be able to buy a used ar10 for the same ammount. I'm just not sure.Anyone know where I can buy a new 24inch Ar10 for 850?

I have'nt decided and realy need some info.

Armaliter I wish what you said was true. my wife would have my head in a box (not the one with two eyes) if she knew I spent x amount on this gun as I told her we should avoid a vacation this year to save money. evil frown [}:(]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey DaveS.

I like to shoot the AR-15 better.  Less recoil.  Cheaper ammo too.

At the risk of sounding sexest though, the AR10 has a more manly aura. Decent recoil, bigger, heavier... just plain more manly. Not for pussies.

Also on Michigan white tails .223 just don't get it.

If it was reported that mindless zombies were pillaging in my area I would grab the '10, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Well if you can get about another 200 you can get the DPMS LR-.308 it has had very favorable reviews by many different magazines. I believe that the latest issue (AUG) was from Special Weapons for Law Enforcement. I own both and depending on the application will depend on what you would spend your hard earned Cash on.

I hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Eagle Arms offers a flattop E10 .308 20" chrome moly for $999. I'm sure if you searched around that there could be a retailer selling it for a little less.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I say go with an AR 15 and an M1a.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Armaliter I wish what you said was true. my wife would have my head in a box (not the one with two eyes) if she knew I spent x amount on this gun as I told her we should avoid a vacation this year to save money. evil frown [}:(]
View Quote

Oh Shit!! Another Black Crack head in the making.

BTW...What Armaliter sais IS true. Just wait see.

(You're in good company)[D:]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you gonna have about $1000 then go for the Eagle! The down fall with DPMS's rifle is the exspensive magazines...$100 each!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Halfcocked!

Come on......you had Scott trick yours out in 7mm-08.......two winners.  Have you gone to .260 REM, yet?

Dave S
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 AR15s and an AR10 if that says anything....

If it doesn't and I have to actually explain, well the AR15s are a more polished design having more if not most of the bugs worked out of it.    Reliability wise I can count on my AR15s pretty darned well, even my accurized AR15 has proven to be reliable even when remarkably dirty and provided I don't use Federal ammo in it.

I understand that the AR15 is a "mouse gun" and it's an ever present concern in my head if I've gotta use the guns.    My accurized AR15 is first and foremost a varmint rifle and I don't view my 20inch or 14.5inch Bushmasters as being much different though they certainly work better in action rifle and 3 gun matches.

Now my AR10, atleast it's chambered in something substantial.   But it is no where near as reliable in my opinion, the design is still fairly new and only just now does it seem like people are finally figuring out how to make them tick and not be nearly as problematic.    My AR10 A4 is an accurate bugger though especially with handloads.   It doesn't fail me much but I have found that it is a bit more sensitive than my AR15s.     But there is just something SO SATISFYING about closing the bolt on the AR10 and hear it locking up with a much different sounding "KERCHUNK" compared to that of an AR15.

Eventually I will wind up pouring quite a bit of cash into my AR10, looking to have an accurized upper made for it in either 260Rem or maybe 7mm-08.    The 20inch upper it has now, I would love to get an full length AR10 SIR on it if they make one.    HOPEFULLY the AW ban will sunset and Armalite will be able to bring to market a truely great magazine for the rifle that doesn't rely on converted M14 mags, not that the 20 rounders don't work but I think a better mag could be developed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
So hard to compare the AR-15 and the AR-10.  The simple answer, as others have said above, is to have both.  I do have both and more than one of each.  [b]However, if I could only have ONE I guess I would choose the AR-10 - an AR-10A4 with the chrome lined barrel.[/b]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
DaveS:

No.  After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth I thought I would try someting truly innovative, something totally different, something like, like, ah hell, I went .308 Winny.

It's a 27" Lilja 3 groove stainless.

Got my first points towards becoming distinquished (going on 2 years now) so I have a new obsession.  Haven't taken the time to ring it out. Been shooting nothing but service rifle.  For some reason I have it in my head that I would be a real man if I could finish it off with my Garand.  I'm about ready to say f*@k it and go back to the '15.

Ugly:

Just to keep my post On thread I have to say this.  I never had one problem (that was not operator induced) with my '10.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The Ar is too weak for what? It is lighter,less expensive to purchase,has more excessories,cheaper ammo,cheaper mags and less recoil. Unless you are hunting bigger animals what do you really need the larger caliber for?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
and less recoil. Unless you are hunting bigger animals what do you really need the larger caliber for?
View Quote

[Captn. James T. Kirk voice] MORE POWER SCOTTY!  MORE POWER! [/Captn. James T. Kirk voice]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been saveing for this quietly every sence january of this this year .If the crap head liberals get the AW ban renewed or win the next election this may be the only big AR buy I Can make.I don't want to wish I had got ___ then.I am either going to buy a RRA 24"varrmit or a equally accuarte Ar10 .I will be shooting mostly paper at 100 to 600 yds and will expect at least 3/4 MOA at 100yds. I can only spend a max of about 1000 and that means selling some scatter guns .Can I find a good Ar10 that can hang with the RRA 24" varrmit in the accuarcy department for thet price?Will it be as well made?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Get 3 AR's (16, 20, 24) and skip the AR10 - instead get an FAL.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Halfcocked, the few problems I've had with my AR10 were either handloader stupid mistakes or due to crappy ammo.

I found early on that my AR10 doesn't like exposed lead tip spire points, the rounded soft nose jams on the barrel extension in my gun.   Nosler balistic tips or similarly pointy bullets are good to go.

Other stupid handloader mistake was to go a little too warm with some handloads using that THICK TZ IMI brass, stopped the gun up tight with a empty stuck in the chamber.

Then the final ammo problem?   Federal ammo proved to be a thorn in my side with my AR10 just like with my 3 AR15s, popped primers and the typical problems I associate with what has now become junk ammo in my opinion.    Even a LIVE primer jarring loose upon chambering from a factory fresh gold medal match round.

I don't feed my AR10 crap ammo anymore and the thing runs very well.    My 20inch AR10 A4 with chrome lined barrel is turning in right at MOA for 5 shots with handloads loving 165grn Nosler Balistic Tips and 180grn Sierra Matchkings.   Hopefully if I can get an SIR on it it's accuracy can improve even more, or atleast consistency from cold bore to warm barrel shots.   As now, non-freefloated it starts to spread as barrel heats.

2-gun, look into the Eagle Arms AR10s for a more budget minded target varianet AR10.   Or, look at the DPMS target 308 but you won't find high caps for it unless you track down the even more expensive SR25 mags or unless the AW ban does sunset.    Both guns can provide quite decent accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an L1A1 (inch pattern FAL) and was going to get a metric FAL carbine... but the SEBR AR10 carbine was too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

... but the SEBR AR10 carbine was too good to pass up.

View Quote

At the prices ArmaLite gave us on the SEBR AR-10's I too couldn't pass it up even though I did NOT NEED ANOTHER AR-10 !!  (Bought the carbine also and I'm gonna store this one unfired.)
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd probably stick with the ar-15 in your position.  That way you save more money to buy:  A good scope, extra mags, match ammo, and range accessories.  There are also a lot of extra cool add-ons for an ar-15 if you do not want to keep it stock.

The RRA varminter is a real accurate and reliable rifle, and you won't be disappointed.  Mine shoots 3 shot groups to .25 moa and 5 shots to .5 moa with handloads.  It also easily holds .66 moa after a 100 rounds in a hot barrel.

BTW, what kinda scope are you planning on using?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an L1A1 (as [b]HiramRanger[/b] stated above, it's an inch-pattern FAL) and an M1A...and today (thanks to [b]GunnyG[/b]!), I tried an AR10 for the first time.

I liked it, but it's weird having a straight recoil path in .308. At least, for me, it's weird. I'm so used to my L1A1 that having all that directly under my ear/head is..strange. Not bad, just different. I don't know if I'd pick up an AR10. (I wouldn't turn a free one away though [;)])..mags are around $40/pop with rebuild kits, springs, followers, and bodies and all that...even 10 round mags cost an arm and a leg.

One thing I LOVED about [b]GunnyG[/b]'s AR10 though...it didn't heat up like my L1A1 does [:)] 40 rounds rapid-fire in my L1A1 and it's basically too hot to hold without a glove on.

My useless $0.02...
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
AZ AR
  what kinda scope are you planning on using?
View Quote

I am probably going to star off with the Simmons 44 mag I have on a mini-14 because if it has'nt shaken looes on that it should,nt have a problem on a AR.I will probably buy a Tasco super sniper(won the goverment contract!) ,Lupold,or springfield later.

Can I find a good Ar10 that can hang with the RRA 24" varrmit in the accuarcy department for thet price?Will it be as well made? Is the upper and lower on the Dmps Ar10 cast or forged?

If the sunsets on the AWB can I weld clip bodies?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I prefer the AR-10 over the AR-15, as in if I could keep only one rifle it would be a AR-10, largely because of the capabilities of 7.62 NATO.  I would not go with a 16" barrel though, it places the gas port to close to the chamber and thus induces all manors of malfunctions.  My 20" AR-10s have proven to be utterly reliable, and so far more reliable then any of it's little sisters.  The larger mass of the bolt group, steel mags, stiffer action spring, and more gas to run off of are no doubt a big help in reliability.

Any one else ever get the idea that Sullivan went a tad to far when he shrunk the AR-10 into the AR-15?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top