Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 8:44:38 AM EDT
For the 10.5" barrelled M4s --like the ones the Navy bought, for instance-- did the manufacturer do anything to address possible timing issues? Like a larger bore or pigtail gas tube?

I'm just curious as to how well they work and what modifications from a standard M4 had to be made. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Long thread on this subject [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=154615&w=searchPop]here[/url].
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
No bore diff.(5.56mm)!  The first batch sent apparently are standard M4 bbl. profile though the newer shipment seem to be slightly heavier diameter.  No pig tail tube either.  Everything seems pretty standard.  I have only heard good things about the LMT 10.5" and hope so since I have one inbound[;)]

Remembering these short bbl. AR's are for special purpose use of course!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I meant larger bore gas tube. Sorry for not making that clear.

Thanks for the link, FC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
THere is also a thread on this subject tacked to the M16 forum.  Wes Grant duscusses the upper there as well.  Take care!

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For the 10.5" barrelled M4s --like the ones the Navy bought, for instance-- did the manufacturer do anything to address possible timing issues? Like a larger bore or pigtail gas tube?

I'm just curious as to how well they work and what modifications from a standard M4 had to be made. Thanks.
View Quote

Usually no alterations are necessary except that the gas port may be larger (sorry, forgot how large).  On my 11.5" setups, I use a PRI Fat Boy gas tube which solves most problems (I think it's better and sturdier than the pigtail), though the setups ran without problems in the first place.  Now when you get into 5"-7" setups, that's where the fun really begins with timing.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 7.5 for my rdias lowered ar the SOB runs like a scalded dog eats everything i feed it including wolf! accurate as hell they little bastard has a cycle rate of 1000rpm + I doing beta mag dumps I have gone through 2 bolts....This lastbolt I got seems to be lasting a long time well over 3K rounds....

MY 7.5 incher is the best room broom Ihave ever owned..
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Per Colt the gas port hole on the Commando is .074.

Unrelated pic of the coolest lower stampings I have ever seen. Its on a Commando so it sort-of relates to the topic.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054136.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats it say?  Can't make out the pic.  Blurry!

looks like M16...mmando.....orged

Take care!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
M4 Commando Enhanced.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
It says M4 Commando Enhanced. What makes it cool to me is that it has 5.56 rounds stamped on each side of the M4. It is a Colt factory 4 possition selector (safe, semi, burst, auto) This was a realy cool little rifle. Just wish Colt would have kept the 5.56 rounds on the civi M4's.

Edited to add closs up pic.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054844.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
[B]1ar4me[/B] does your 7.5 look kinda like this?
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135kk.jpg[/img]
This upper is the DPMS Kitty-Kat® and it too runs like a scalded....Kat.  got it from the good guys at CMMG.  -T. Fish
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It says M4 Commando Enhanced. What makes it cool to me is that it has 5.56 rounds stamped on each side of the M4. It is a Colt factory 4 possition selector (safe, semi, burst, auto) This was a realy cool little rifle. Just wish Colt would have kept the 5.56 rounds on the civi M4's.
View Quote

Awesome!!  No doubt about it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top