Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 8:22:39 AM EDT
Anyone found any real accurate loads in this upper. Mine is scheduled to be delivered today. I bought some cheap FMJ's for break in purposes. I do all my own loading and was just wondering where I should start with this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a 16" varmint upper, and only got passable (1moa) with the Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips I used.  I would suggest starting with a heavier bullet, 60gr at the least, and try working up your loads from there.  I've heard some folks say the really heavy ones--77gr--work great in the 1:8 varmint uppers.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/052507-big.jpg[/img]
I do not handload but, my 18" will shoot this group with Ultramatch 55 gr ballistic tip factory loads.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ribs,

Thats a fine looking group there. I picked up some Ultramax and some Black Hills for my new AR yesterday. Going to start out with the factory ammo and if it shoots that good I will go buy a case of it!

Thanks for the pic
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ribs,

Where are you at in MN, I am in SD. It'd be fun to get together an shoot AR's sometime. I'll be living in Brookings here shortly, will be a Junior at SDSU this year.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Rambo,
I have a RRA (Wilson) 22" barrel (1x8 twist) that I installed on my FN flatop upper. I've been using 24.5 gr. of Varget with Nosler's 77 gr. bullet and a Federal 205M primer. This load shoots real well and I average about 1/2" groups. I jacked up the load to 25.0 grs with Sierra's 69 SMK and got some phenomenal groups (ave. was about .300")

Just got through loading some 73 Gr. Berger LTB's in front of 24.5 grs. of Varget. Hope to test these this weekend.

(by the way, the 22" barrel was a 24" before I cut it down)
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the load formula. I may hafta try that out.

I didn't know for sure which upper I was getting, I told him whichever he had in stock first either a 16 or 18 and I end up with a 16, which was my first choice.

Got my optics mounted up about 10 minutes ago, wish it was light out so I could zero her in!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to use Hornady 75 bthp's in my Varminter (20").  They work well w/ 23.8 grains of RL-15 or 24 grains of Varget.  Bullets are seated to mag length too.  Can get about .5 moa with these in 5 shot groups.  WSR primers.

I've also found that RL-15 meters a little better than Varget.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top