Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2003 11:08:55 PM EDT
Ok, I found this pic when I was looking at something about the NYS CoBIS system (ballistic fingerprinting). This is old but it still had me laughing (in a sad mournful way).

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at what they're calling the Firing pin!
[rolleyes][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][noclue][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][whacko][LOL][ROFL2][LOL][ROFL][LOL][booze][LOL]

Dang, we need anims!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#2]
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
ooooh, so THAT's how it really works....

Huh...

Mine must be defective...

-----
Questions anyone with a brain might ask:
1.How the friggen hell does that hammer catch (as drawn) disengage the hammer when the trigger is pulled back?

2.Dont firing pins actually look like, uh, PINS?

3. How does that hammer fall to ignite the primer of the bullet in the chamber, but somehow missed contacting the bullet directly beneath it?

4. Are you a friggen itiot?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Also those are burst parts and not the standard AR15 parts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I could legally use this trigger group in my AR15's....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm glad I saw this, my ARs had some extra, apparently unnecessary parts that I can now get rid of.
View Quote

Yeah, where can I trade the cigar-sized thingy in my upper for one of those little gear whatchamacallits and a hammer with the little spikey doo-dad?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Mods, can we please get a tack.
Now if I can only get KKF to rebore my barrel and then find some tool steel bullets that will resist rifling marks, I'll be set. Thanks for the very informative post. Also that 2 piece whip hammer is bitchin!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Where did you find this? Something this crazy deserves to be mocked directly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
it's copyrighted to firearmsid.com
you should go there and check out the authors bio. makes me think he slept through all of those courses he took.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't even bother. Almost every time I read an article on any subject I know something about, I find this kind of bullshit. This is the way our media "fills in the blanks" whenever there is something they don't understand, and they ALL do it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]
This is one of the funniest pix of how a gun works, ever!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't even bother. Almost every time I read an article on any subject I know something about, I find this kind of bullshit. This is the way our media "fills in the blanks" whenever there is something they don't understand, and they ALL do it.
View Quote

Yep, I've seen so many errors in stories about things I know first hand that I can't help but wonder how much misinformation there is in stories on subjects about which I have no direct knowledge. I've had a BS filter in place for years and do not allow 'information' into the ol' memory banks unless it is checked, double checked and independently verified.

Sad, really.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally I think it is the bayonet lug, verticle grip, hi-cap mag and flash hider on this "pre-ban" rifle that makes it deadly. [BD]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I visited firearmsid and they actually seem to know how a firearm works and did not have this graphic there - so this must come from some other source.

Looks like classic USA Today type of stuff to me...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#18]
firearmsid.com, huh.   I guess the "id" is short for IDIOTS.

Just like "smart guns", this universal fingerprinting stuff is the sort of gun control propaganda that the media accepts w/o question.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]

[rofl2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#20]
firearmsid.com, huh. I guess the "id" is short for IDIOTS.
View Quote

'Intelligence Deprived', maybe?[:D]

Nice burst disconnector and cam.  I simply [u]must[/u] try that 2-piece hammer that swings forward when the trigger is pulled.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#21]
firearmsid.com, huh. I guess the "id" is short for IDIOTS.
View Quote

It says "SOURCE; firearmsid.com, STAFF REPORTING".

Take a look around the firearmsid.com site. It is a site dedicated to forensic examination of firearms and is actually pretty sharp.

The staff reporting on the other hand are likely the idiots in question.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I wrote this guy a email and he reponded, wow [:O],I just about had a heart attack, that he even responded anyway let me share with you what he wrote back to me:

[b]Dan,

I have never seen that illustration nor did any of the diagrams/images come from me.  I have no idea why my website address is at the bottom of the page.  Where did you find it?

I am a professional when it comes to Firearm Identification and would not approve the illustrations as listed.  So please calm down and don’t believe everything you read.

Thanks for brining it to my attention and if you provide me with a source I will attempt to get my name taken off of the illustration.

Scott Doyle[/b]

anyway  for what it's worth  I tend to believe what this guy has to say,  he seems extremely knowledgeable in his field, he is also from Kentucky I wonder if he goes to Knob Creek?          
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anybody know where I can get harder bullets that resist rifling marks?

Mabey I'll just cut down the barrel.

I'm selling all of my trigger parts and some things I can't recognise because I apparently don't have a AR-15 trigger pack in my AR.

Going by the trigger diagram, I have to pull the trigger realy FAST so it flicks the hammer/firing pin into the DETONATOR CAP.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone have a link to a good, detailed guide with pics of the AR-15 firing cycle?

The best way to combat misinformation is with the truth!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I know what you mean about the press usually not knowing anything about guns.  I remember a few yrs. back when a reporter was delivering a story on the 6 o'clock news and SHE stated that the man was shot with a " full magazine in a .357 semi-automatic revolver."  I could have just shit when I heard that!!!!

[rolleyes]   [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL. I took a criminology class a few years ago, and they shows a gun control commercial on a video we watched. It showed a nice, shiny piece of brass being ejected out the side of a revolvers cylinder after the gun was fired at innocents. Of course, it was doctored, but everyone was looking at me funny since I was laughing so hard. Only one other kid in the class say it and understood. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm... actual size of bullet.  It looks like that AR is chambered in the rare and out of production .300 Purgatory round.  And it can only hold ten of those beasts in its single stack "Magazine Clip"  

Experienced criminals are always finding ways to beat the fingerprint.... sure.  Let's get some case studies in which criminals did anything besides maybe pick up spent casings. Of course they're the experts, having studied all those killing sprees commited with M16s [rolleyes]  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get a barrel with a 1:0.5 twist?
View Quote

AAAAHHAHAHAAhahahahahahahahaha..........
.......AHAHAHAHAhaahahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And it can only hold ten of those beasts in its single stack "Magazine Clip"  
View Quote

Never mind getting the ten rounders. Can we apply the technology that allows the bullets to be loaded all the way to the bottom of the magazine to our full size mags?

Do they even realize the failure of their logic? Changing the barrel would only help if you used the weapon for more than one crime. If you were a serial sniper, you'd have to start out with a 26" barrel.
Jules and Vincent got new guns for each job. You'd think real criminals might think of doing the same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmmm... actual size of bullet. It looks like that AR is chambered in the rare and out of production .300 Purgatory round. And it can only hold ten of those beasts in its single stack "Magazine Clip"
View Quote

I thought it might have been my screen making that look bigger. I am glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wrote this guy a email and he reponded, wow [:O],I just about had a heart attack, that he even responded anyway let me share with you what he wrote back to me:

[b]Dan,

I have never seen that illustration nor did any of the diagrams/images come from me.  I have no idea why my website address is at the bottom of the page.  Where did you find it?

I am a professional when it comes to Firearm Identification and would not approve the illustrations as listed.  So please calm down and don’t believe everything you read.

Thanks for brining it to my attention and if you provide me with a source I will attempt to get my name taken off of the illustration.

Scott Doyle[/b]

anyway  for what it's worth  I tend to believe what this guy has to say,  he seems extremely knowledgeable in his field, he is also from Kentucky I wonder if he goes to Knob Creek?          
View Quote

Whoa thats incredible. I wonder who originally made this pic. It looks like something you would see in a newspaper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]
And I was just about to go to their message forum and raise hell.  Haha.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't believe none of you have commented on the "file down.. firing pin to change imprint..."

After all, we ALL know that the [i]real[/i] reason criminals file down the firing pin is to convert a semi-auto to full-auto [;D].
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
OH MY!!!!!!![LOL][ROFL][ROFL2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Try this... much better:

[url]http://people.howstuffworks.com/machine-gun4.htm[/url]

Click on the trigger in the AR diagram to make it work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Very funny, thanks for letting the criminals know what to do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh it's an AK/M17 stye AR/M16 I get it. I'm glad I know "how it works" now. I'll be taking my Bushy to the gunsmith tommorow to see if he can free up my gas tube / ram... Amazed my rifle even operated with the tube stuck like it is, won't move no matter how hard I try...
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#38]
That is some funny shit. Stupid media.

I like this pic.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054853.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top