Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/6/2003 1:57:03 PM EDT
Hello. I was curious as to what configuration of precision iron sights are being used by people with their AR15's? I have used a rear sight with a .042 aperture and a .050 front sight post on my sights and loved them. I am able to place almost all of my hits relatively easily within a 6 inch target at 200+ yards. What do you use and prefer for precision shooting with your iron sights?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:42:13 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:05:14 PM EDT
Does your sight setup work well at 100 meters? I am thinking of buying some different sights for my ar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:15:28 PM EDT
Absolutely, at 100m. I also really like the Kager systems front hooded sight. Instead of just a sight post, it is has a hood with .010 thickness wires both horizontally and vertically so that when you look thru the sights, it is like looking thru a scope. While at the range with this front sight, I was able to repeatedly hit a crushed soda can from 1 hundred yards. I did not actually know what I was hitting until I went down range (I shot at it just to see how far off my sights were). Needless to say this is a target about 2 inches in diameter. This was from a standing, unsupported position. I was quite surprised and pleased at how well the sight worked and at how easily I was able to hit my target with the sight. The drawback however to much more precise sights is that it is much harder to see your target in low light conditions. But I like a much more precise sight than the standard A2 sights.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:53:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By spacemenow1: Hello. I was curious as to what configuration of precision iron sights are being used by people with their AR15's? I have used a rear sight with a .042 aperture and a .050 front sight post on my sights and loved them. I am able to place almost all of my hits relatively easily within a 6 inch target at 200+ yards. What do you use and prefer for precision shooting with your iron sights?
View Quote
For Service Rifle competition I use an HPI with a hooded, changable aperture. The apertures range from .031" to .043" in .002" increments. The size I use depends on light conditions (brighter=smaller) but usualy stick in the .037" to. 043" range. I can easily do 6" at 200 yards....off hand....10 shot group. For real precision sites look into a Zelenak, Warner, Anshutz...
Top Top