Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 2:41:09 PM EDT
1. do they fall under the assault weapons ban?

2. do you need to pay a tax to register one?

3. are they legal in Michigan?

4. can any one register one or just FFL holders?

are there any other restriction that would prevent me from making an ar15 commando or M4?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

are there any other restriction that would prevent me from making an ar15 commando or M4?
View Quote

1.  Yes they do fall under the AWB.  You can register a postban rifle so that it can have let say an 11.5" barrel but you still can't put a telescoping stock on it.  A postban SBR does not make it exempt from the AWB.

2.  Yes, you need to pay a $200 tax stamp but once the lower is registered as an SBR you can put any lenght barrel you want on it.  This is very nice feature especially with the AR15 rifle.

3.  I don't live in Michigan so I can't help you there.

4.  Yes, anyone who can legally purchase a firearm can register their rifle as an SBR.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

1.  Yes they do fall under the AWB.  You can register a postban rifle so that it can have let say an 11.5" barrel but you still can't put a telescoping stock on it.  A postban SBR does not make it exempt from the AWB.

2.  Yes, you need to pay a $200 tax stamp but once the lower is registered as an SBR you can put any lenght barrel you want on it.  This is very nice feature especially with the AR15 rifle.

3.  I don't live in Michigan so I can't help you there.

4.  Yes, anyone who can legally purchase a firearm can register their rifle as an SBR.
View Quote

[b]16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  [red]Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. [/red] MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.[/b]

Source:
[url]http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123--10953--,00.html[/url]

4. If your state doesn't allow it you can't. Under federal law I can own a Pre-86 MG, but MI law offers greater restricions.

If you want and M4gery, I suggest a permanantly attached FFS.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
quote]

View Quote

Does this mean i can take my brand new postban Bushmaster lower, and put a 11.5inch barrel on it with a $200 tax stamp?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Short barrel isn't one of the evil features, so yes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Short barrel isn't one of the evil features, so yes.
View Quote

Wow. I can't believe i didnt know that.

*buys new lower for new project* [:D]

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does this mean i can take my brand new postban Bushmaster lower, and put a 11.5inch barrel on it with a $200 tax stamp?
View Quote

It still has to be in post ban configuration but it’ll be cooler than all the rest…

J
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
 Yes, register it, then cut it down to 10.5 inches...then put on a CAV comp or something  like an Armalite  3 vent comp..then take it to the range...you'll make lots of buddies.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Yes, if your state allows you to possess a SBR.  It must conform to postban configuration, so no flash suppressor.  Might be something to think about from a 11.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Short ARs are VERY fun!!  No large barrel to get in your way.

My 7.5"BBL AR-15
[url]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/Micro.html[/url]  Its a small web page so let everythign load.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
BISHOP,  Incredably sweet setup!! Do you shoot it from the shoulder at all?  Do you have any eyebrows left if you do, that fireball is huge.  HOW LOUD IS IT?  I figured I'd better yell that one Hah.  Color me green with envy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Also,  Check out the M16 forum and read read read.  Then ask all the questions you need to!  Remember that if you own more than one AR15 and only one of them(lower reciever) is registered as an SBR you cannot own multiple sub 16" upper recievers.  Your best bet is to have one AR lower registered as an SBR and then you can pretty much have all the uppers you want.  In any length!!

PS.  Getting your tax stamp takes about 3 months or looooooonger!  If you can get your CLEO to sign off for you!  Take care and good luck!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe one correction needs to be made here.  Short barreled rifles (SBR's) do not fall under the AWB.  Instead, they are governed by the National Firearms Act (NFA) passed in about 1934. This is the same act that governs total rifle & shotgun length, barrel length, machine guns & noise suppressors (silencers).

So then, rather the AWB sunsets or not will have no effect on the NFA, eg barrel/rifle length!

Basic procedure to registar an SBR (which can be a post-ban weapon) is to get a Form 1 from the ATF, complete it with all the other required documents, chief LEO signature, etc, send it along with $200 to ATF and then wait 4-6 months to get your tax stamp.  The tax stamp is simply a stamp on your Form 1 which is returned to you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Bishop, your setup is identical to mine, my micro AR15 is registered as pistol, even with the collasible stock.

Sure the thing went VERY HOT during sustained fire..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top