Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2003 8:30:49 PM EDT
I finally got my new 7.62x39 upper today and got to pin it up to my AR47 lower that has been done for a month.  I still have to do the mill work to widen out the upper to clear the AK mags but I figure I will be out to the range in a week.  I am really looking forward to adding this rifle to my others.  I never considered a 7.62 AR in the past due to the lack of suitable mags but this is going to be a "bullet hose".

I have no interest in getting into a discussion about Todd/SW/Why would you want one? etc.  I could not care less.  When this is done, I will have less than $800 invested (100% new parts except the stock) and a TON of AK mags and drums and ammo that I already own.  While the ultimate test will come when I get it out to the range, I can say this about the SW receiver.......This thing is beautiful!  The machine work and finish is as good or better than any AR I have ever seen.  the standard parts kit went in with no issues or modifications and the DPMS upper pinned in perfectly.  I am impressed so far.  Anyway, I have not seen anyone post a pic yet of their AR47 project so here is mine.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great, consider it job well done

Expecting a range report ya know?[;)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Got it back after the machine work...here are some more pics.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Dump a few thousand rnds through it and then give us a range report. Sounds too good to be true.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's mine and I LIKE it!!!

[img]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47diss.jpg[/img]

[bow]

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Great Job Marauder!  Like I told you before, the diss. and the holosight registers very high on the coolness scale!

Finally got to get mine out yesterday.  I actually shot it very little with all the guys coming up with their loaded mags asking to take it for a spin.  All told, it put around 500 rounds downrange without a problem.  I like it!!

[img]http://www.crinamex.com/images/ar474web.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job.
Methinks it looks better with the drum in it.
Scott
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Certainly looks cool, where can I get one?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]AWESOME[/b] [:D]

Do you think anyone will be making readymade
uppers?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a silly question here.  What is the acuracy like?  I have shot an Ak 47 before and it was hard to hit anything more than 50 yards away.  It was a cheapo stamped receiver though.  Just curious as to how the AR 47 stacks up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't gotten to test mine out past about 50 yds yet. I was shooting at some spoiled eggs at that range and got them all. Very cool targets BTW.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, thus far the folks that have tried these are getting some great results.  Sure is awfully tempting ... with an RDIAS and that drum.  Heck, is it just me, or what that drum, does it seems to resemble a mini-Stoner or is it just me?

I may just have to break down and get one ... just because it could end up being one of those great novelty items that 5 years from now nobody has but everyone wishes they had gotten ...
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
They look nice, but how practical will it be if the AW ban sunsets?

You will be able to buy new AR15 7.62x39 mags in 04 so theres no need to spend the extra $$$ on the AR47 lower and machining the parts to work.

It dose have the cool factor though.... I would probably build one if the upper receiver and bolt carrier didn't need to be modified to work.

It has it's pros and cons.

con: It dosent lock open the bolt after the last round so you have to charge it every time = slower reload.

pro: It can use AK47 mags, possably picked up off dead bad guys.

con: It's receiver costs at least a c-note more.

pro: AK drums are cheap and will be a lot cheaper than AR15 drums even after AWB sunset.

con: accuracy and flat trajectory is lost with the 7.62x39

pro: It is still the AR15/m16 design and can use all the same accessories/parts.

con: most people don't have the machine tools  needed to do the Upper & Carrier Mods so you have to send them in to be done.  Extra cost of $75.00 + shipping and waiting to get the parts back.

These are just the ones I could list, feel free to add to it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I'm just old fashinoned, but shouldn't mating AR's with Ak's be considered heresy?  If I want an AR with more punch, I'll buy an AR-10.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
No regular bolt release?  How does that work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No regular bolt release?  How does that work?
View Quote

Simple, it doesn't.  AK city baby! This is the biggest con for me.

Added to the previous excellent pro/con list:
Pro: Cost of ammo....50-100% cheaper for blasting
Pro: 30 cal AR that still maintains its AW status.  AR-10 is a Battle Rifle to me.
con: Thin upper walls after machine work.  Probably not a problem for semi but could be a problem in full auto.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Just for curiosity's sake, you should pin your regular .223 upper back on the AR47 lower and try run a few .223 waffle mags through it.

Hmmmm?, Hmmmmmmmmmm, Ever think of that??

I just love those waffle mags.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Rick or Marauder -

Favor to ask.  Would it possible for either of you to either a) measure the dimensions of the mag well on the AR-47 lower or b) take a picture of the AR-47 and a standard 223 lower next to each other FROM THE TOP showing the mag well opening.

Just trying to get a feel for what it looks like in there

TIA

Marty
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I worry about the fact that Knight threw lots of money at this concept and it failed. What does Todd know that Knight's doesn't?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I worry about the fact that Knight threw lots of money at this concept and it failed. What does Todd know that Knight's doesn't?
View Quote

As I understand it, Knights design was based on a completely different upper (longer) which made it a completely different weapon.  The SW lower really is a thing of beauty in both fit and finish.  Absolutely blows my Bushmaster away in those departments.

Favor to ask. Would it possible for either of you to either a) measure the dimensions of the mag well on the AR-47 lower or b) take a picture of the AR-47 and a standard 223 lower next to each other FROM THE TOP showing the mag well opening.
View Quote

I will post pics and measurements by tomorrow

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it just me or is that lower.... purple?  

It's not a bad idea, seeing as how AK mags are the one AK feature that even the most passionate AR lover has to admit is superior in strength and construction.

The mag does look like it sticks waaaay out and kinda creates a wierd profile for the gun.  Maybe a Hungarian AMD65 20-round mag would look better?  

How about this? An AR lower for .223 that takes....  MODIFIED EAST GERMAN BAKELITES!  

Six-dollar mags for everyone!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a DPMS 762x39
The fac. 10 round doesn't work good.
After market thirty round doesn't work good.
Franken thirty round doesn't work good!
I'm pissed because I bought a DPMS .308 at the same time and guess what? The factory 10 round mags dont feed well either and it takes two people to pull the mag back out!
I gotta call DPMS. If I would have known that I'd have bought an Armalite .308 and one of these 7.62's
Kev
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I first saw this thread, I thought the same thing.  Then I realized that Alexander Arms already has an AR-15 that shoots "crappy Com-Bloc" ammo and still uses direct gas inpingement.  I believe they call it the .21 Genghis.

Anyways, since AK mags are very reliable, all someone has to do is manufacture an upper, make sure the feed ramps and mag work together, and you have a pretty cool freak/hybrid.  I take it this AR/AK (ARK?) uses direct gas inpingement as well?

I was looking at buying a Genghis or PTR-91, but now this walked on to the scene.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The government asked for specific items on the SR-47 that Mr. Bailey's design does not feature, most notable are retention of the M4-type magazine release and the "drop-free" feature... This required lengthening of the receiver bodies by about 1/4-inch to fit the necessary springs, plungers, etc.

As far as function with direct gas impingement, KAC was given ammo that was crated almost 50 years ago (the crates smelled like it, too), as well as new production Winchester, and lots of stuff in between. Mixing these different kinds of ammo in different mags, used in an abusive full-auto firing schedule, leaves lots of crud in the system (which the lightweight operating system of the AR is not designed for).

The SR-47 also had a free-floating Obermeyer barrel, Mid-length FF RAS, full-auto capability, and M4QD suppressors in .30 cal.

Hope this helps,
Clint
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#24]
looks really cool with the drum.  i don't know if i'd support the SW machine but if it works reliably i might consider one in a year or so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Maruader:

Is that a factory DPMS 20" upper with the thicker extruded receiver? If so, did you shorten the barrel? Did you have to open up the gas hole to make it work reliably?

Also.....as far as I know DPMS doesn't sell chrome lined barrels...so, does WOLF or other steel case ammo shoot reliably for you.

I ask soooo many questions because I would like to do the EXACT same thing.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll try to answer your q's as best I can. I just used the DPMS low pro upper. It is an extrusion(I've been told) but is twice as thick as a reg upper in the area to be machined. It is mated to a dissy barrel that originally came from KKF and is marked as such on the barrel. I do not know the twist though or much more about it as I am not the original owner. I did not have to do any gas work on it. The only ammo I have shot so far has been the russian hp ammo. Works just fine. We decided though(Rick and I after experimentation) that the feed ramps needed some widening to have everything just perfect. Ask away.

Martytw I'll try to get you some pics later in the week.

No, it's not purple! [fart]

Michael
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#27]
You ever get any pics???
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I finally got my new 7.62x39 upper today and got to pin it up to my AR47 lower that has been done for a month.  I still have to do the mill work to widen out the upper to clear the AK mags but I figure I will be out to the range in a week.  I am really looking forward to adding this rifle to my others.  I never considered a 7.62 AR in the past due to the lack of suitable mags but this is going to be a "bullet hose".

I have no interest in getting into a discussion about Todd/SW/Why would you want one? etc.  I could not care less.  When this is done, I will have less than $800 invested (100% new parts except the stock) and a TON of AK mags and drums and ammo that I already own.  While the ultimate test will come when I get it out to the range, I can say this about the SW receiver.......This thing is beautiful!  The machine work and finish is as good or better than any AR I have ever seen.  the standard parts kit went in with no issues or modifications and the DPMS upper pinned in perfectly.  I am impressed so far.  Anyway, I have not seen anyone post a pic yet of their AR47 project so here is mine.
[url]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47waffle.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47drum.jpg[/url]
View Quote
how much was the lower?  does it use standard AR fire control parts (so can a 2 stage be installed)?  who was the source for the new upper?  who sells 762 upper parts
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Hoplite,

From my reading of this AR47 lower, it uses standard AR parts.  So, the custom triggers will fit.  Looking at the pics on AR47.com, it will use everything except the bolt hold open and trigger guard.

[img]http://www.ar47.com/images/rifle_cu.jpg[/img]

Also from that site, the price is (gasp!!!) $325.00  (YIKES!!!)[:O]

I thought they were only going to be $200 or so...mmmm.

DPMS sells 7.62x39 AR uppers.  DPMS also sells the bolt.  I beleive that Model 1 (or M&A's) does also sell a complete upper.  Olympic Arms makes a barrel (and IIRC, Gunsmoke listed complete 7.62 Oly Arms uppers).

Man, for the price of the lower and some change, I could get an (GASP) AK....

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hoplite,

From my reading of this AR47 lower, it uses standard AR parts.  So, the custom triggers will fit.  Looking at the pics on AR47.com, it will use everything except the bolt hold open and trigger guard.

[url]http://www.ar47.com/images/rifle_cu.jpg[/url]

Also from that site, the price is (gasp!!!) $325.00  (YIKES!!!)[:O]

I thought they were only going to be $200 or so...mmmm.

DPMS sells 7.62x39 AR uppers.  DPMS also sells the bolt.  I beleive that Model 1 (or M&A's) does also sell a complete upper.  Olympic Arms makes a barrel (and IIRC, Gunsmoke listed complete 7.62 Oly Arms uppers).

Man, for the price of the lower and some change, I could get an (GASP) AK....

View Quote
I can use the same argument when it comes to 22lr uppers.  For the price they cost with a ciener kit i can own 4 10/22s.  I think the point here is to own something different in the AR design. Im not an AK fan but wouldnt mind one of these for blasting
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Yup..I know what you mean.  I was thinking of getting one .... might still.... just don't know when.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
rickinvegas i'm curious to see what kind of groups your getting at 100m/yds... thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top