Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 5:05:30 PM EDT
There were 200 "TBOR" AR15 A1 rifles made in 1991 by Olympic Arms to commemorate the aniversary of the bill of rights. The upper and lower receivers were made of Berillium Copper instead of Aluminum.

Does anyone know anything about these? I own a TBOR lower receiver and would like to find out if all 200 left the factory as complete rifles. Oly Arms has not been helpful in my quest.

I would like to know if the assembly of a preban rifle on this lower would be legal.

Thanks is advance for any tips!

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If it didnt leave the factory assembled in "assault weapon" configuration it would be illegal. As a matter of fact, if it was ever sold as a stripped lower it loses its preban status.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't file or grind or saw on that reciever that type of copper is a known carcinogen when airborne.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
captainpoobey: I understand what you're saying, that's why I'm asking the question! I'm looking for someone who might know whether all 200 receivers left the factory assembled as weapons. Someone who might remember how this particular model was marketed and sold. Just trying to do some detective work to get some clues.

David: Great, thanks for the news. I just finished blasting the damn thing a few days ago for refinishing. I guess you're formally invited to the funeral. You'll be the only one there who'll know the cause of death, cause there's no way I'm mentioning this to the wife!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wanted to stress the precautions that David made about beryllium.  In my line of work, they [B]were[/B] used because they were non-ferromagnetic and wouldn't get sucked into MRI machines, but after finding out the health hazards, we got rid of them pretty quickly:

------

[B]How can beryllium affect my health?[/B]

Beryllium can be harmful if you breathe it. The effects depend on how much you are exposed to and for how long. If beryllium air levels are high enough (greater than 1000 ìg/m3), an acute condition can result. This condition resembles pneumonia and is called acute beryllium disease Occupational and community air standards are effective in preventing most acute lung damage.

Some people (1-15%) become sensitive to beryllium. These individuals may develop an inflammatory reaction in the respiratory system. This condition is called chronic beryllium disease (CBD), and can occur many years after exposure to higher than normal levels of beryllium (greater than 0.2 ìg/m3). This disease can make you feel weak and tired, and can cause difficulty in breathing. It can also result in anorexia, weight loss, and may also lead to right side heart enlargement and heart disease in advanced cases. Some people who are sensitized to beryllium may not have any symptoms. The general population is unlikely to develop acute or chronic beryllium disease because ambient air levels of beryllium are normally very low (0.00003-0.0002 ìg/m3).

Swallowing beryllium has not been reported to cause effects in humans because very little beryllium is absorbed from the stomach and intestines. Ulcers have been seen in dogs ingesting beryllium in the diet. Beryllium contact with skin that has been scraped or cut may cause rashes or ulcers.

[B]How likely is beryllium to cause cancer? [/B]

Long term exposure to beryllium can increase the risk of developing lung cancer in people.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have determined that beryllium is a human carcinogen. The EPA has determined that beryllium is a probable human carcinogen. EPA has estimated that lifetime exposure to 0.04 ìg/m3 beryllium can result in a one in a thousand chance of developing cancer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the warnings guys, but I really would like to find out what I can buid with this receiver. Hopefully someone knows of a link.

(push to top)
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
You're probably going to have to pester Oly some more because only they will have the record for that rifle.  They should since the fire only took out records from before mid-2000.

When you look at this page from Olympic: [url]http://www.olyarms.com/serialnumbers.html[/url] it gives a little more info on the lowers.  It looks like they came with uppers, but I'm not sure if that's a matched upper receiver or a complete upper.

The other issue is that if you purchased it as a lower receiver only, then it has lost its preban status.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Engineer,
I have the sinking feeling you are correct.
I guess maybe someone will be interested in taking it off my hands for its collector value and I'll be able to salvage some of the $$ I spent on it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was made in '91 thats 3 years before the ban went into effect.  It could have been part of several different complete rifles before Sep 94.  The only thing you dont have is proof, but unless you commit a crime I dont see you having any problems.  

As far as a health hazard goes, I'd send that thing into Oly and request they rebuild it into aluminum receiver, [u]at THEIR cost[/u]!  They should bear the responsibility to replace that health hazard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Oly has no responsability to replace that receiver. It is only a hea;th hazzard when airborne particles are injested. If you don't do any gunsmith work on it, you do not have to worry.

As far as being pre-ban, it was made three years before the ban!! ATF would never question it.If you don't want it as a pre-ban, I'll buy it (at post ban pricing sine you don;t think it is a pre-ban), and build it into a preban myself!

Captainpooby: You are WRONG about your assumption that if a rifle is ever sold as a stripped lower it looses it's pre-ban status. That is bunk. A grandfathered assault weapon is just that. ATF registered thousands of pre-ban assault weapon lowers at the Oly factory after the ban. As long as all the parts were there to assemble the rifles, they were grandfathered. Oly sold (and I bought) many of those receivers as stripped pre-ban receivers for up to three years after the ban.

But hey, if you guys are scared,... I'll be happy to take it off your hands at post-ban dealer pricing! Just say the word.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top