Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2003 11:43:14 AM EDT
I finally broke down and bought a cheap 3x9 rubber armored scope off of gunbroker just to see what my Gvt. Profiled (by Kurt) is capable of. The scope actually is pretty clear and doesn't seem to have much paralex (for $50 what can you expect), Untill I get to the range, I wanted to get a rough bore sight for the scope, so I came up with an idea. I took a laser pointer pen, wrapped masking tape around the barrel of it in two places untill it was approx. the same O.D. as my bolt carrier. Taped the button down and inserted it in upper in place of my carrier, and snapped it back together, and at 100 yds, I have a pretty clean red dot. Granted it took a little tape shimming on 1 side to get the dot clean down the bore with no haze from chrome reflection, but it wasn't too hard. Now my question is , I set the crosshairs of the scope exactly on the dot (on a sign) 100 yds away, now , when I do get to the range, where do ya'll think it will shoot???  ;-)  ed
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a neat trick.  I bet it will be pretty darn close.  If it works, can I borrow your pen?  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds pretty ingenious. I think it will be pretty dead on.  I sawa post about the .223 case with a laser inside it that Cabelas was selling so I boughtone and it is awesome. Yourversion was alot cheaper($60 cheaper) butI did not have a pen pointer to begin with.  As long as it is shooting straight down the barrel(laser) it should be dead on.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
NORTEXED, sounds like you can sell you converted pens for $59 and make a killing!  Hell, I might buy one and I'm cheap.

[ROFL]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If you test fire at the same range, you will be pretty close.  If you test farther than you boresighted, you will be shooting high out to a certain range, and if you test closer, you willl shoot low.

Don't worry too much if you aren't right on though.  Boresighting is only meant to get a rifle on paper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It actually wasn't very hard, the only thing that took any time at all was wrapping the masking tape around the pen, and about 10 minutes of putting a little pressure up and down through the ejection port to determine which side to shim a tiny bit and put 2 extra 1/4 pieces of tape on one side to center the beam. I was kind of thinking a couple of rubber bushings ( or maybe several for different guns) might be the way to go, and the pens are only like $ 10.00 each. When its not centered, the chrome bore casts a hallo, but as soon as it's centered, the dot gets real precise.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top