Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2003 7:18:44 PM EDT
Hello once again. I have a quick question about a scope for my Bushmaster. I'm looking for a scope of decent quality for a reasonable price. Nothing too fancy, just something simple that will get the job done and won't break the bank. I'm looking to do some recreational shooting of moderate range. Also, does anyone happen to know if a BSA Boresighter will fit the barrel of the Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have a flattop upper or a fixed carry handle? This will have more of an effect on the rings/mounts that you use. I'm not a scope man so I'll leave that up to the others...
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got one of these: Simmons Aetec, 3.8x12x44.  Clear as a bell, very bright, POI stays the same through the from low zoom to high, and it was $135.  I've heard that Wally World sells the next lower model for $100...I think that one is 2.8x10 or something like that.  

Anyway, a great scope for the money.  

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/188491/modular1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I too have an Aetec (2.8-10)mounted in the new Armalite mount, very bright, cheap & has taken some abuse. Great scope for the money.

.........Paul
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Rory,

The question of what type of AR is crucial for informed answers.

If it is  a flattop, and you intend to do some precision shooting, then higher magnification is appropriate.

If it is a carry handle A2, I would not recommend much magnification for various reasons.

Also, what price point do you consider reasonable?  $400 Leupold?  $800 ACOG?  $2500 US Optics?  Or less than all the above?

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a fixed A2 Carry handle, so I would have to buy a scope mount and some rings to throw on there. I was hoping I could find a decent scope for $100 or so, maybe less. I'm not looking for disgusting amounts of magnification, just some basic stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I am planning on getting a Simmons Aetec, 3.8x12x44 (like Fenian's) for an A2 (carry handle) can anyone tell me what I will need as far as mount, rings, etc... ?

Thanks,
Mr. L
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
you need a carry handle rail adapter (it just bolts down into the carry handle), and the lowest set of rings you can find.  I have to mention, however, a scope this size will be very akward on the carry handle.  Most folks who scope carry handle rifles opt for a smaller scope.  

The Aetec is 13" long, with a fairly large objective...I don't know how happy you'll be with a big scope mounted up high.  It also has pretty long eye relief...I need to be about an inch further away from the eye on this one that some other scopes I have.  

As a matter of fact, as it turns out, I should have gotten the #38 ex, but I didn't know at the time I started building this rifle I was gonna go with the rail handguards.  I'd like to get that scope about an inch further down on the rail to have the eye relief in a perfect spot.  

You might want to look at some of the more comptact, less magnification scopes that are out there.  I had a little short 4x Leapers on my carry handle...the scope wasn't very good, I just did it to see how I liked the concept...but the size was ideal, and the 4x made it a little easier to see what I was trying to hit.  

Sounds like a good excuse to get a flat top upper hehehe.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input Fenian,
Quoted:
however, a scope this size will be very akward on the carry handle.
View Quote

Is this because of the long eye relief?

Sounds like a good excuse to get a flat top upper hehehe.  
View Quote

You are a truly wise man!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Mr-L, my thoughts on the "awkwardness" of the Aetec, or similar scope on a carry handle are based on the size/weight of the scope.  I don't think the Aetec's slightly longer than usual eye relief would hurt, it might even help with the scope up that high.  

There are those that have said mounting a scope like this will put it too high to zero efectively...depending on the amount of "down" adjustment the scope has, that could be true I guess.  

Thanks for the "wise man" compliment...I'm calling NBC, CBS, and ABC now lol...as for buying another upper, well, that's how we ALL think at this point [:D]

BTW, where in Maine are you?  I went to college near Sanford....the school's long gone, but I've always wanted to drive back up there and check the old huants out again. Lot's of memories from those days...MANY of them involved me drinking way too much beer hehehe.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I use an IOR M2 4x24 dragunov reticle w/ a IOR QD carry handle mount on my A2 Dissipator. The IOR mount is see-thru, and set me back $45. The scope has excellent glass, ocular focus, is not too bulky, has an easy to use rangefinding reticle, and an acceptable FOV at 100 yards. You can find the scope for $320-340 if you shop around.  I bought mine from Cactus Tactical. Check this URL for more info:   http://cactustactical.com/valdada/4x24m2tact.html#topofpage       Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use an IOR M2 4x24 dragunov reticle w/ a IOR QD carry handle mount on my Dissipator. The IOR mount is see-thru, and set me back $45. The scope has excellent glass, ocular fous, is not too bulky, has an easy to use rangefinding reticle, and an aceptable FOV at 100 yards. You can find the scope for $320-340 if you shop around.  Good Luck!
View Quote

LRG, I've been admiring the IOR Super M2 6X30 (Illuminated) for possible use on an AR-10 Carbine.  Good to see your report.  (Found it for $399 WITH rings which is good as the tube is 35mm.)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top