Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2003 1:42:22 PM EDT
i jus had a couple thoughts and thought that maybe sumone could clear it up or atleast enlighten me. IF a bullet fired out of a rifle is unstable, does this necessarily make it UN-accurate. I mean PC aside, i understand an unstable round will keyhole, which in my eyes means , nice big ENTRY hole. but do you loose any accuracy with an unstable round.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If a bullet is unstable it will be inconsistent, therefore unaccurate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If your rounds are keyholing on your target then if you move your target back 50 yards they will begin to completely miss your target.  Thats how much it will effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, thanks, i was always wondering bout that. cause i thought i heard that in Vietnam, they had unstable rounds that would leave big ole nasty wounds on the enemy and it was against the Geneva Convention or something like that, which is part of the reason to stabilize the round. But if its not accurate , than that doesnt do me any good, lol, having enough trouble hitting the target now. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, it isn't uncommon for bullets to be somewhat unstable when they leave the barrel.  Generally, there will be some "wobble" of the bullet around the axis of the bullet path as it leaves the muzzle.  The nose of the bullet will follow the path axis fairly closely, but the rear of the bullet will spiral around this axis.  Eventually bullet spin will cause the base of the bullet to fall in line with the bullet path axis causing the bullet to go to sleep.  This phenomenom can lead to some bullets/loads having better accuracy at longer ranges with respect to MOA.  The distance that it takes for a bullet to go to sleep depends on a bunch of things, like muzzle velocity, twist rate, bullet dimensions, etc.  This has nothing to do with keyholing though, that is a result of little to no stabilization of the bullet as it leaves the barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top