Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/27/2003 11:08:09 AM EDT
I did mine a bit different. I used my buffing wheels to buff the trigger and hammer instead of the way the directions said. I had already done this to smooth up the pull. I bought new springs just in case and cut them not the originals. Did this to two rifles and it worked GREAT! Very happy with the outcome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:35:40 PM EDT
I am happy you accomplished a nice trigger job. But you did not do the "15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR15" since you did not follow directions on the polishing and used a buffing wheel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:29:39 AM EDT
I did my AR trigger by polishing gently by hand, then sprayed all the parts with dry slide and coated the touching faces with a moly grease. It feels smooth and lighter on the pull now. You dont have to remove any metal, you just want to smooth the touching surfaces so they dont feel gritty. Ultra fine wet and dry paper and a fine steel wool is all i use. I have done this to several of my guns, any metal to metal surfaces, but dont take off any special factory coatings.My CZ75DB pistol shoots like a dream, the slide is smooth as silk.Just cleaning and using dry slide and a moly grease on its own will make a differance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:53:12 AM EDT
I want to do this on my Armalite. Don't want to shorten the springs, first see how polishing works. What is this "dry slide" stuff and where do I get it? Where do I get the other components for that matter, like "Fine compound (#7 rubbing compound or Kit Scratch Out plastic polish)" Who makes a good punch set?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:25:14 PM EDT
You can get both at the everyday Sears store. The polishing compounds are near the grinder section. You can buy several grades depending on how fine you want. They are in block form for adding to a cloth buffing/polishing wheel on a bench grinder. The punches are in the tool section and are much cheaper price wise than a gunsmithing outfit (also guaranteed forever).
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2003 9:08:40 PM EDT by A_Free_Man]
You can get Dupont #7 Compound (in a can like paste wax) and Kit Scratch Out (in a bright yellow plastic bottle) at just about any automotive store. The polishing gets rid of the grittiness in the pull. The trigger pull reduction comes from modifying the springs as described.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:30:49 AM EDT
If you buffed the contact surfaces with a wheel I'd be VERY worried that you rounded off the edges. This could cause the hammer to slip off the sear. I've seen S&W revolvers that have had the SA sear polished and you can push up with your thumb and the hammer will fall off the sear. It's supposed to take something like 15 lbs to push off, if it does at all, not a few ounces from your thumb. As far as punches go I got some at Sears. Near the chisels IIRC. The trigger & hammer pins don't take much force (I don't even need a hammer, just push with the punch) so you might not even need them if you can find something around the house to push the pins with.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 6:27:44 PM EDT
I used a soft cloth buffing wheel with fine rouge for a couple seconds. Just enough to shine them up and take the grit out of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:04:30 PM EDT
The sear notch on an AR is so deep polishing it will not cause a problem like it would on a S&W.
Top Top