Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2003 9:04:00 AM EDT
Sorry about the quality, but these were taken with my camera phone in fairly low light conditions, which it doesn't like. Plus the fact that almost everything in the picture is black doesn't help.

Anyway, I had nearly settled on a Rock River Arms product, but they are backordered into the next millenium. I even talked to Legal Transfers (hi pete) and he was saying 2-3 weeks at best. So I figured I would fall back onto my second choice - Olympic Arms.

I checked on their webpage, but no dealer lists. However, I wondered about distributors... Lo and behold, they have one not 30-45 minutes away. So I call him up and ask if he sells to the general public and yes he does! So I drove out there... ends up it is a retired fella and his wife, and he is a gunsmith. Does gunshows and engineering work, along with distributing for Olympic. So we talk and talk for a while, turns out he originally came from Florida just like I did. So he eventually plops a couple of models on the table and pulls out every accessory you could imagine. (after I cleared the background checks of course.)

I ended up going with the PCR-16 flat-top package. It is a flat-top AR-15, with a heavy barrel. Lever-lock mount with a 4-16X40 scope. Also picked up an Israli made 30-rd clip. Hard case came with the gun.

I fully intend to buy the detatchable carry handle and bipod, but those will need to wait until the next pay period.

All told, I spent around $1,000 for the whole smash (including tax on the gun). Note that the gun is entirely black, the camera just makes certain parts look green. I'll try to get some better pics later.

This is my first adventure into the AR-15 world so wish me luck!

Two-dollar bill for size reference
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle XK.
The only luck you will need is that you hit the lottery so you can support this addiction, one is never enough.
Welcome to the board!
Now, did ya bring the beer?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome... I added a PCR-16 to my collection recently, runs flawlessly and she's a hyper-accurate shooter.  The local varmint population isn't too happy about that... [;)]

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I went through my break-in procedures at the local indoor shooting range today. It seems to shoot quite well.

My problem now is where to find some woods that I can shoot in peace at. Any suggestions?

P.S. Does anyone know of a good online retailer that sells cleaning kits for AR15s? Perhaps military surplus?

I bought a generic rifle cleaning kit at the local range but I'd rather have some geniune CLP and the kit that fits inside the buttstock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I am sorry to hear about your addiction, I am in a deep and chronic state myself of [red]Ar[/red]itis, even thou you are on an early stage, all you can do at this point is just to learn to live with it; with proper ammunition and parts, you can live a happy life and all those around you will pretend to understand and tolerate you from time to time. But you must be clear, eventually it will get worse so you will have to buy another AR and another as the disease progresses, noting wrong with it, just go along.

You did well coming here for support as nobody will understand you better.

Nice Rifle by the way.

;)

BR
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Otis makes some fine firearms cleaning products, and they have a buttstock kit.  Impactguns is selling it for $38

[url]http://www.impactguns.com/store/otis_m16_buttstock_kit.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome! Nice weapon. I did all my homework and came up with a PCR1 SUM last year. It has done nothing but really tick me off. Reason being, it shows my flaws as a marksman, cause I know how well it shoots. My best groups have come from LC brass, H335 and the Vmax 40-55gr moly.
The JP Enterprise fire control pkg works wonders, too. I'm sure your's will do just as well. BTW, I liked the SUM so well I ordered their CAR97-M4 day before yesterday. Can't wait!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, ditto on the Otis kit. Completely cool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on your new AR (sorry in advance for that nagging addiction you will experience)!!
Ive got an older Oly 11.5" shorty that shoots damn fine. Better than my 20" Bushmaster.. Great choice!! Enjoy it!!  John
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice piece..

ArsTechnica, represent! ;)
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats! nice rifle
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
oops! I have been found out! russ-iha from Arstechnica reporting for duty.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top