Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 6:22:54 PM EDT
Any owners replace the cotter pin retaining the firing pin with the perma pin?  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Just another cure, for a non-existent problem.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree that these pins are a pain in the ass. I was Army for 15 yrs, and of course never saw a "new" weapon--so the retaining pins slid right in. My new AR requires a wrestling match of about 20 minutes to get that motherscratcher in there. Is there a secret I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there a secret I'm not aware of?
View Quote

I use a dental pick, ($5 at the local gunshow, get's ya a whole set), holding the b/bc up-side down in your hand, insert the pin with the long leg up, looking down into the b/bc when long side contacts far side of b/bc, use dental pick to press long leg down holding slight in-ward pressure on the pin with your other thumb. Once long leg is in hole, rotate the FRP over till short leg is visible and use dental pick to press down on it, walla, FRP slides in.....

I'm sure there are other things that will work, and other ways to "skin this cat" but this is the method I use.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool, I'll give that method a try..
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that method is the best, it is easy and dosnt require much force.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok that method of installing the cotter pin sounds like a good one but what about the Perma Pin?  Does anyone use one and have an opinion?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Duuhhh, though I gave ya mine, it's a waste of good money, which could go to buy more mags or ammo.....

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Duuuhhhh, Mr Wilson my question was intended to elicit responses from users, plural. While I respect your opinion, I don't believe you've been designated as the final word on product worthiness.  From your posts it's obvious that you think the Perma pin is not worth $6.67. Thanks for your thoughts and I appreciate the concern shown my mag and ammo count but I assure you I'm blessed in both.  Now, "For the people who USE a Perma Pin."  How does it hold up, any breakages, round count,  pros/cons witnessed, etc...  I ask because while serving I witnessed cotter pin breakage on a few different occasions.   I'm now retired from the Army and am interested in the viability of the Perma pin before I invest some of the pittance the gubment calls retired pay into testing one.    
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Are we talking about that little pin that holds the FP in? Both my Colts are like new and I NEVER have a problem putting them in. Plink, in they go. Save your money.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello,

I am so new with an AR and I hope I am talking about the same thing.  But the first time I took my RRA apart I removed the firing pin retainer pin and I had trouble getting it back in.  I used a knife to separate the cotter pin and with a pair of needle nose pliers I bent the two sides toward each other.  This has kept enough pressure pulling the two ends together that the pin slides right in now.  I don't have any more trouble with it.

Hope maybe that will help someone....

_Lloyd

*edited cause I can't spell and too lazy to use the spell checker...  [:D]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top