Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 11:49:31 AM EDT
I am feeling the need for a fancy free floating handguard setup.  I like the looks of the short RAS.  I do not like the RAS II because I don't want to lose the space on my upper.

What it the difference between the short RAS and the M4 RAS?

How much weight diff between the RAS and RAS II?

How much stiffer/stable is the RAS II vs the RAS?  I *could* be persuaded into buying the RAS II if the weight savings was great enough and it was substantially stiffer.

THANKS!
--Dan

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]quarterbore.com/kac/kacrisras.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Be aware that the standard M4 or carbine RAS is not free floating.  It attaches like a regular handguard (mostly).  From your post, it's not clear if you knew that.  If so, disregard.

If you want a Knight's product that free floats the barrel, you need the RAS II or the FF RAS.  Or you can wait for the new URX.

The RAS II is quite a bit stiffer than the standard RAS since it is stabilized by the receiver.  I don't trust my RAS enough to mount optics, but I do mount an EoTech on my RAS II and it works great.

I don't have a FF RAS, but the one's I've handled seem to be just as stable as the RAS II.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so now that I know the M4 is not a floating handguard, I have narrowed my choices down to:

FF RAS
RAS II

Now I need to know what the weight difference is between the two models listed above.  I read somewhere (from Wes at MSTN) that the RAS II is lighter than the FF RAS.  I like lightweight, but I really don't want to give up space on my flat top.  Does anybody know the weight difference between the short FF RAS and the RAS II?

This will be mounted on a 16" barrel M4 Style upper (hopefully)

Thanks!
--Dan
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wes posted all the weights on a thread sometime back.  I recall the difference was only a couple of ounces between the two.  Definitely not enough to notice.  Heck, the rail covers weigh more than the difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
You mention that you do not want to loose space on the upper. Are you aware that the actual RAS II mounting piece can double as a mount for a red dot type sight (Aimpoint) without the need for risers or spacers. Puts the sight in a nice place also for quick shooting.

Ruff
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I already use a Trijicon Reflex II and a year ago when I bought it, I purposely chose the highest mount I could find.  It is in the perfect location already.  That is why I would rather not have the RAS II, I would have to move my scope.  I know I could mount it on the forward rail, but I don't know how I would like that.

--Dan
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I see you already know Wes Grant at MSTN.  When I have questions of this nature I had for Wes like a chubby rodent !!  (Of course I also buy from MSTN too.)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top