Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 11:05:00 AM EDT
Why doesn't the FOBUS system get any love?  I can't drop a few hundred bucks on a KAC set-up, and all I really want it for is to mount a light and a forward grip.  Is it really necessary to spend all the money, or will the M33 two-rail system get the job done?  

Does anyone who has, or who has compared, the FOBUS guards have any input on any disadvantages versus the FIRSH/SIR type stuff?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I run with a M33 lower handguard because all I need is a foward Grip and light.  I've had it about a year now and been through two carbine courses with it.  More solid & durable than I had any right to expect.  For your intended use they work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I like them - they are relatively inexpensive and the rails are dull enough that you can actually grab them without cutting yourself.  One potential problem if you plan to attach a KAC-style grip is that the rails are relieved down the center so the nipple that screws up from the grip has nothing to engage.  As a result, the grip might slide around while firing.  I switched to the foldable grip sold by Bushmaster, which uses an Allen screw that slides in between the rails, and it works very well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
eswanson
  Try the M44's they have four rails and you can get the covers off the rails with your thumbnail versus having to take off the handguard to remove the rails and it gives you the option of having side rails in the event that you need/want them and then you dont have to spend the $$$ getting a separate rail for 2oclock mounting of an M3 or other accessory .
And if you did that it would run about the same  price as the M33's and a additional light rail . And the M33's stray away from the traditional appearance of the standard handguard or the M33 for that matter . And are actually pretty sweet looking on the M4 barrel with the grip and a light on them and handle the heat very well they are very tight on the delta ring/handguard cap .
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have M33's that I relieved two indentions on the first rails (top & bottom). This allows KAC 9-RIB panels to fit absolutely perfectly on the Fobus rails. I saw someone over at AKnet have this set-up and thought I would try it myself.

Looks pretty unique and feels wonderful!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say for what I use my ARs for I could not justify the price of the high dollar forends.

I have the M44 four rail which has been great so far. It is very solid and well made, and it it is lightwieght.

It meets and exceeds my requirements.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049077.jpg[/img]
edited to add the pic, cuz I like to show it off. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Surefire M900a mounted on a FOBUS M33 foregrip.  It works just fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently have M33s on my postban and my wife's AR15.  I think they are great.  Someday I will still probably get a SIR for a project I'm working on, but for SHTF on a budget FOBUS can't be beat.

I have foregrips on both, and my upper handguard is sporting an Aimpoint M2 in ARMS 22m68w/spacer.  Nice cowitness with the tactical rear from RRA and factory front sight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they get plenty of love just not enough respect.I have a set on an M4 upper and another set on the way on another M4 upper.They are in my estimation ideal for their intended use which is forward mounted accessories(not optics although this could be debated depending on application).That being said I don't believe that any of the sub $300 FFF are sutable for optics but thats just my opinion. If you need reasonably priced forward accessory mounting buy M44/M33's and be happy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top