Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2003 6:55:12 AM EDT
Ok guys I am going to get a new M-4.  Should I go with the Bushmaster M-4 or the DPMS M-4.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFA2-M4PMC

I have not gotten a quote from my FFL dealer for either gun so price is not to be considered right now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My 2 cents is to wait until Sep of next year to get a M4.
But if you can't wait Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster would be my first choice. It also sells for less than the DPMS at the gunshops around me anyway. On the DPMS website they list it at $850. I've seen the Bushmaster for around $750-$800...
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for bushmaster.

I can't wait so that is what I would do.

[marines]

max
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the difference between your choices is that the Bushmaster barrel is 4150 steel with chrome lined barrel and chamber, and the upper receiver will have a "teflon" coating on the inside. The DPMS will be 4140 steel and no chrome lining, unless you get one of the special [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url] uppers with their mil-spec, chrome lined, 4150, 1/7, DPMS barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
either one will do.....if you think you need a chrome barrel for some reason, buy the BM.....chrome barrels are not as accurate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never owned or even held a DPMS so I can't speak from experience.

I do have a Bushmaster though and it's a gem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...chrome barrels are not as accurate.
View Quote

I seriously doubt 99.9995% percent of the people on this board could tell the difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Have them both. I'd say go with Bushmaster. I hate the purple delta ring on my DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok guys I am going to get a new M-4.  Should I go with the Bushmaster M-4 or the DPMS M-4.

I have not gotten a quote from my FFL dealer for either gun so price is not to be considered right now.
View Quote

Dang, I knew the answers you would get on this forum as soon as I read the post.  This is the most Bushmaster centric forum I've ever seen.  Be different, get the DPMS.  B^)
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
#1 BUSHMASTER IS KING OF THE HILL!!!!!!!
#2 AMRALITE
#3 ROCK RIVER
#4 COLT Bad Q.C.& C.S.

Try Rock River if you want to save a buck or two! They have alot of guys swear buy them!

Seen a Armalite Very Nice Rifle!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the DPMS M4s from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url] and I would stack it up against any Bushmaster, Colt, RRA or Armalite out there.  It's quickly becoming one of my favorites.  However, it's a little different than the standard DPMS.  Here's a quick run down of the features over the standard DPMS:

14.5", 1/7 twist, chrome-lined, 4150 steel barrel with Cav Comp brake and M4 feed ramps.

Fit and finish on mine is perfect and Jeff & John swapped out the black furniture for green for no extra charge.  The Cav Comp brake works incredibly well and is not loud and does not throw all the blast back in your face.  

I've been extremely happy with mine so if you are planning between the standard DPMS or the Bushmaster then I'd choose the Bushmaster but if it comes down to the CMMG/DPMS or the Bushmaster then I'd choose the CMMG/DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang, I knew the answers you would get on this forum as soon as I read the post.  This is the most Bushmaster centric forum I've ever seen.  Be different, get the DPMS.  B^)
View Quote

I agree, if you don't own a Bushmaster, SureFire and a SIR then you ain't %#$@ around here.  I probably would own 6 Bushmasters but since everyone has one I like to look for something different.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I agree, if you don't own a Bushmaster, SureFire and a SIR then you ain't %#$@ around here.  I probably would own 6 Bushmasters but since everyone has one I like to look for something different.
View Quote

This is not true.  Post a "which is better, Colt or Bushmaster?" and you'll see all the Pony Boys show up.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
[b][size=5]BUSHMASTER[/b][/size=5]

Chrome lined bore and fordged (not cast) front sight base.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
[size=6]BOOSHMASTER!!!!!!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.  I have a DPMS race AR and love it.  It is a complete tack driver.  It is strictly a target gun only though it weighs in at 19 pounds fully loaded.  So now I need a M-4 for haulin around and shooting.

Hey Spooge5150 why do you say to wait to get an M-4?  I know the AWB is up in Sept.  I thought it would be a good idea to get one before then just in case they put even more restrictions in place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Get one now! You can always put the evil features on it next year. The ban will expire and what is now post ban will be pre ban. There is a good chance that a new ban will take its place so stock up on cheap post ban rifles now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#19]
star2323,

I say wait, because a M4 has a flash suppressor, and a real collasping stock not one of those GAY ASS fixed CAR stocks.
To quote Lumpy196 "If it doesnt collapse, I dont see much use in a CAR stock"

So is it really a M4 when it has a fixed stock?
The AWB will sunset, and no politician is going to touch gun control measures. Look at the news, all lawsuits get killed, more states with CCW. Repulican controlled congress. Buy your accessories now, those prices won't change much. Wait to buy a real M4....ofcourse a real M4 has a 14" barrel, so wait to get a 16" barrel M4.

My 25 cents.

Spooge Out!

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't go by brand name alone, I'd go Busmaster, very few complaints, been in the business making them for over 20 years. My first choice is Colt, cause they sell to the US gov't and have been in the business for over 30 years just on the M16, and Colt is certified as mil-spec. DPMS is not very experienced, Never know who actully realy made thier components.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Colt, PWA, DPMS and a Bushmaster.  The only major problem I have had with any of them is with has been the DPMS upper.  Accuracy was excellent, but function was inconsistant at best with ANY ammo.  I will be the first to admit that perhaps I got a lemon as the DPMS lowers I have (2) are problem free, but the Bushmaster has never hiccupped.  Given my personal experience, and keeping in mind that this is just one situation, I'd have to go with the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I've only owned Bushmaster uppers and complete rifles. So you know who I recommend. [50]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I vote BM! I'm building my second AR,(both BM) and their Customer Service is great. Ordered a slew of parts and a complete 16"HBAR upper last Thurs. and it should be in tomorrow! Great products, function, and Customer Service.

Only a week wait for a complete upper!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
star2323,

I'm getting into this late but I'll put my 2 cents in! [;)]

I think it depends on what you want.  If you want a 14.5 inch 1/7, I would say go with Bushmaster.  The only problem with the Bushmaster may be lead time and barrel availability.  Make sure to ask Bushmaster about the availibilty when you order.  Also, if you order a complete rifle you wait time may be decreased.

If you want a 16" barrel then I would go with the CMMG/DPMS upper.  Bushmaster currently only has a 1/9 twist for 16" M4 profile barrels so unless they decide to make some CMMG/DPMS is the only game in town.

Bushy and CMMG/DPMS upper receivers are mil-spec.  I believe Bushy spray the inside of theirs with Mil-Spec Moly Film Dry Lube, though is only temporary because it will wear off.  

Both Bushy and CMMG/DPMS barrels are 4150 steel, have 5.56 chambers, have fully chromelined chamber and bore.

Bushy has a forged front sight base, CMMG/DPMS has a cast one.  Busy does not come with the M4 feed ramp cuts, the CMMG/DPMS has them.

The CMMG/DPMS cast front sight can be replaced with a forged one for about $65. The Bushy upper can have the M4 fee ramp cuts put in for about $40.  

I went with a 16" 1/7 CMMG/DPMS because I didn't want a welded and pinned flash suppressor.  I like to have the option to remove the flash suppressor if I need to make mods in the future like better f/s, flip-up front sights, FF tubes, etc.  Welded and pinned f/S can be worked around but it's more of a hassle.

The 16" also provides slighty better ballistics but you can't mount the bayonet on one.

I also believe the 1/7 twist gives you more options in ammo selection.  You can still shoot cheap light mil-surp and move up to the heavier good stuff like the 77g MK262!

As you see there's advantages and disadvantage to each one but they are both make excellent reliable rifles.

If you want more info on the CMMG/DPMS upper check out my reviews below.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=162739[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=164401[/url]

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the Colt Mforgery and what can I say.... I like it!
--RR
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I got to tell you that, in then past 4 years, we have sold hundreds of KAC M4 and M5 Rail Forend Systems (RAS) to that many Bushmaster owners.  I am VERY impressed with that, as even though their rifle/carbine is competitively priced, actual owners like it enough to spend another $275.00+ for a one of our rail forend systems.  And if you assume that an equal number have likewise purchased and installed a SIR, well what does that tell you about how much these BM owners value/love their weapons?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I would not go with the DPMS, I believe Colt, and Bushmaster are both fine rifles, but my first choise has always been Olympic Arms. Very good quality and very accurate rifles!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everybody, I'm leaning towards the Bushy.  Can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#29]
A chrome bore not as accurate?

I think it's an old-wives tale.

Break in a 20" BUSHMASTER barrel, and put it into a good rest, and it'll almost punch three rounds through the same hole if you're using good ammo.

Has anybody ever actually studied this?

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[b][size=5]BUSHMASTER[/b][/size=5]

Chrome lined bore and fordged (not cast) front sight base.
View Quote

I read this the other day and was wondering if my Olympic was cast or forged. So I went to the gun shop and looked at my Oly and the front sight assembly had very sharp edges and machine marks. When I looked at the Bushmasters the front sight assembly looked very porus and the edges were rounded. Someone please set me straight. Thanks

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top