Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 7:28:40 PM EDT
is the mini Y comp so loud when fired that the people on the benches next to u will get pissed? thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on how close they are and how tolerant they are.  At its worst, yes, it can be pretty bad.

But the mighty mini-Y is easily tamed.  Just have your gunsmith take the comp (before installation) and chuck it up in his lathe and drill the center bore out to about 5/16ths of an inch before installation.  It'll tame the muzzle jump as well as an undrilled mini Y but it's hardly any louder or more annoying than a plain muzzle,  based on my own personal experience.   All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a very effective brake, but I wouldn't want to have one on mine. (already have one on BM and I hate it blowing gas/sand to my face when shooting in prone)

Oh yes and it does blow gas to people near it. The blast is more annoying than the noise.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
thats gonna be tough cause i already got it installed. i was thinking maybe i might send it to KKF and get a A3FFS put on it...if its THAT bad. the benches where i usually shoot have a 3 or 4 foot space in between.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
thats gonna be tough cause i already got it installed. i was thinking maybe i might send it to KKF and get a A3FFS put on it...if its THAT bad. the benches where i usually shoot have a 3 or 4 foot space in between.
View Quote

Please do, do it for your shooter neighbors and the children.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
For the children?!?  Give me a brake, Mini-Y brake that is.  I love 'em.  But I do think that they should come with a "keep out of the reach of whiners" lable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I am the biggest mini-y advocate on the planet; I lay claim to inventing the operation of taming the mighty mini y by the method cmjohnson describes...forget about the whiners, just enjoy the absence of felt recoil, and remember, since the noise and blast are being directed sideways and back, THERE IS MUCH LESS GOING DOWNRANGE to give away your position, should the SHTF!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
stormsurge with that reply i am dubbing u my new best friend. i conclude that i will most likely keep the mini Y comp on, mainly because i really like how it looks compared to the phantom or the vortex.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Till then shoot by yourself and save the craniums of fellow gunclub members.

Muzzle brakes are intended to prevent muzzle climb during auto or rapid fire.  The jaw cracking thundering barrel whip from the face punching 223 atomic blast aside[rolleyes], you should be okay without a muzzle break on your AR15.

But like everything else, it has it's purpose and I'm sure folks will advocate it's usefulness, to which I'll agree...but there's nothing tactical about a brake, unless you wear ear protection all the time.

"SHTF!!!! Hold on!!!! Let me find my goddam ear muffs!"
[;D]

Not tryin' to start a war here, just sharin' my 2 cents.  Latah.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
i don't know, but if someone were to shoot at me or if SHTF, the last thing i'd care about is the well being of my ear-drums....I'd rather keep whats in-between them intact.

I love the y-comp on my bushy M4....the blast you get is only to show that you've got a gun with balls!
Grow some hair on your chest if you can't take it... [}:D] hehehe, j/k

Seriously though, cherish your Y-Comp, don't kill it, you'll regret it!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've actually been asked by a fellow competitor shooting to my left to take a step forward so he wouldn't catch the gas blast in his face. I've never noticed catching any myself. It is brutally loud.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmmm....I love my mini Y. There's no better way to make room on the line for your buddy, then to break out the Bushy with a mini Y.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mmmmmm....I love my mini Y. There's no better way to make room on the line for your buddy, then to break out the Bushy with a mini Y.
View Quote

Hunting Rifle/Bolt Gunner Repellant![:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hunting Rifle/Bolt Gunner Repellant![:D]
View Quote

In this case, mini-Y does have a role! [:D]
(no offense to hunters, just to the ones who say "What do you need that for?")
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, cmjohnson.  Mine is already installed on the gun, but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to chuck up the barrel and drill out the mini-y.  Do you think it would do any good to make the hole bigger  than the 5/16ths you mentioned...??
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]since the noise and blast are being directed sideways and back, THERE IS MUCH LESS GOING DOWNRANGE to give away your position[/b]

"there is much less going downrange", has this been officially documented anywhere?  I am just curious if this is really the case or not.  Anyone been downrange when a mini-y comp is being fired?  [peep]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I do most of my shooting at an indoor range and I couldn't stand gasses being directly blown into my face so I had Bushmaster exchange the mini-y for an ak-74 barrel. The ak brake is 10 times better in taming recoil plus I don't have a cloud of smoke surrounding me. If you think the mini-y is loud, stand next to me when I shoot my AMD-65 with it's "sidewinder" brake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#17]
A friend of mine tells me the mini-y reminds him of an ex girlfriend.

Kept the barrel down but was loud as hell and blew all his buddies next to him.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey, cmjohnson.  Mine is already installed on the gun, but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to chuck up the barrel and drill out the mini-y.  Do you think it would do any good to make the hole bigger  than the 5/16ths you mentioned...??
View Quote

I don't know.  Haven't tried it.

I would recommend, though, that if you attempt to drill out the comp while it's on the barrel, that you do so carefully so as not to damage the muzzle crown, which is important to accuracy.

You probably don't have to drill all the way to the end of the comp's bore anyway.  Just to the end of the last hole.

It would seem to me that you could experiment with finding out how much is enough drilling by taking the rifle to the range, shooting it, reaming a little, shooting again, reaming some more, and continuing to do so until the muzzle just barely starts to climb during shooting. Measure the bore diameter (or note which reamer you used) at each step, and the optimal size is the biggest one that displays no appreciable muzzle jump.

I think 5/16ths is enough, actually.   It results in a rifle that isn't all that much louder than one with a plain muzzle, and the muzzle doesn't jump.  You can easily bump fire the whole magazine and keep them all in the center.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
First fire the Mini Y equipped AR, to piss off the immediate neighbors.  Then fire your AK and tick off the people 6-8 points away getting hit with the brass. [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems like you had a normal barrel and then added the Mini-Y? I think you can take it off and do what you were saying but anybody know if you can take off one of the ones that comes on a Bushy post-ban? and switch it out? are they really "permenant"?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
First fire the Mini Y equipped AR, to piss off the immediate neighbors.  Then fire your AK and tick off the people 6-8 points away getting hit with the brass. [}:D]
View Quote

[ROFL] Standard Operating Procedure Everytime!

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Put a mini Y on your AK and you can piss off EVERYBODY, near and far!

CJ
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
hmmm i didn't know they made mini-y's for AKs...where can one find one?

Also, you can't make everyone happy, so go ahead and stick with the y-comp.
Sure y-comps are loud, but so are all guns in general! If you go to a range, expect to get hit with blast and sound, WITHOUT being a cry-baby about it! If it bothers someone on the range, and they're being a whiny bitch about it, tell them to go home, they're not ment for this sport.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#24]
The sensitivity of some shooters never ceases to boggle the mind.

I tend to snicker when getting hit with hot brass.(unless it goes down the collar)

I like to be 1 or 2 feet back on the side of .50 cal rifles and MGs just to feel the shockwave and blast. It's Exhilerating.

The more recoil the more fun.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I love the Mini-Y comp on my Bushy, however there is no way I would use it in a tactical situation UNLESS it was all I had.  The noise directed back at you would be painful to the ears to the degree that you would not function, this is my opinion.  I have tried to fire it w/o ear protection "just in case" and SCREW THAT!!!

I agree with other posts, don't screw with it, just get another upper for home defense or tactical applications.

If anyone at the range bitches about the blast or noise, tell them to contact their elected officials because FS are not an option for you on that rifle, let them see how stupid the AWB is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The sensitivity of some shooters never ceases to boggle the mind.

I tend to snicker when getting hit with hot brass.(unless it goes down the collar)

I like to be 1 or 2 feet back on the side of .50 cal rifles and MGs just to feel the shockwave and blast. It's Exhilerating.

The more recoil the more fun.

View Quote

I 100% agree
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Once I set up a cardboard target backer on the bench to the right of my firing position with the intent of not having to chase my reloadable brass or have some asshole step on it on the concrete firing line floor.

I bore a beautiful blister the shape of a .223 case on my forearm for a few days afterwards.
It was moderately painful, especially when it happened.

I have since switched to a simple net on a collapsible frame for catching brass instead. No bounces into my arms.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems like you had a normal barrel and then added the Mini-Y? I think you can take it off and do what you were saying but anybody know if you can take off one of the ones that comes on a Bushy post-ban? and switch it out? are they really "permenant"?
View Quote

I had Kurt do some work for me 2 years ago.  I asked him if he could remove a "permenantly attatched" Mini Y, and if he could save the Mini Y he was taking off.  He told me Nothing is permanent, BUT the comp would end up in pieces in a tray.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The mini-Y comp works great.  Mine is REALLY loud and sends a blast wave to the rear on each side of the shooter.  The shooter does not really notice the increased noise and blast.

When shooting off a bench, I have had other shooters move 3 positions away to get away from my blast.  Lens overs, half filled paper ammo boxes and any loose items will get knocked off the benches to each side of me.

When I was shooting a competition with my mini-Y, the RO stopped me because I was so loud.  He then double plugged his hearing protection and allowed me to start again.

Its the most effective brake I've ever used, but its a lot of blast and noise.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top