Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 5:40:37 PM EDT
I was just wondering if there was any special cleaning needed to be done after shooting steel cased coated ammo. I usually go through about 500 rounds on a trip to the range and am a bit leary on shooting stuff like Wolf. I clean my AR as soon as I get home from the range religiously. I want to know if I ought to clean it at the range after so many rounds and if there is anything different I need to use that cleaning after shooting brass. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf burns dirty, use a extra shot of CLP on the B/C to keep it running.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought 100 rounds of wolf, just to check it out.......and I'll never buy that junk again, not only is this stuff so dirty it looks like you fired 1,000 rounds out of your rifle. but it left my chamber a mess.

I'll stick to south african 5.56 thank you. it shoots cleaner, and doesn't trash your chamber.

I don't know why 5.45 wolf is OK in a AK....but that 5.56 stuff is garbage.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have fired over 5000 rounds of Wolf out of my various ARs, but primarily out of one. Never had a problem of any kind. I have never used any special cleaning proceedures and have never noticed that the rifle was any dirtier. I may have just not cared since I have to clean the rifle anyway, what degree of dirtyness isn't going to change that fact. I normally use a chamber brush to clean my chamber no matter what I am firing out of it and have not noticed any additional residue when firing Wolf.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a case of wolf for 100 bucks.  it shot great out of my bushmaster and I thought it wasn't any dirtier than when I shoot the stuff from wallmart.  No problems here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
AKs have a different system. the gas impinges on a piston that moves the bolt. On an AR, the gas impinges directly on the bolt and puts a lot of crud in your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
but it left my chamber a mess.
View Quote

Please elaborate.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Middle of the way through my 4th case of wolf 62gr.  I am shooting it in an OLY purchased new about 4 months ago.  Never had a problem and I have shot 750 rounds in one day a couple of times.

Yeah, its dirty as hell but so what, I clean everytime anyway and I am buying it for $90/case.

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but it left my chamber a mess.
View Quote

Please elaborate.

View Quote

it left a brown thick mess in the chamber. that was a hell to scrub out
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a quick question, where do you find south african 5.56 online?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top