Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2003 10:52:21 AM EDT
I have given the advice to other members that were mounting tac lights on their M4's Ar's ect.

Below you will see a pic of what I have done and in my (and others) opinion is almost the best setup for a tactical application of a light mounted on your AR.

When a light is mounted below the handguard it can be dangerous in a tactical sit.
First of all when you are firing in a combat scenario, you should always shoot from cover is its possible. If you are in a low light area and you need to use your light, you will have to expose more of yourself to get a shot off if you are using your tac light and it is mounted on the bottom.

Now, if you have your tac light mounted to the top of the handguard that isn't going to work very well if you are using low riding sights or iron sights.

Where is the light going to go then, you ask?

I have found the best place to mount your tac light is at the shooters 1:30 position on the handguard.

Here are the benifits:

1 Easy on/off switching with your fingers that are nest the light anyhow. No need to take your hand off the HG's and loose your sight picture to turn off the light.

2 If you are in a MOUT setting, you will be clearing a lot of rooms and corners. With the light mounted at your 1:30, you do not have to turn your gun sideways and loose the use of your iron sights to do this.

3 It's less likely to get knocked around and hit by other things on your gear or sticks, rocks branches stuff you would find outside of an urban combat setting

4 When the tac light is lit, your front sight post is illuminated giving you the best sighting at night

5 If you use a bipod with your AR, you do not need to flip is the legs of the bipod to use your light while in the prone position.

Ofcourse we all have different POV's and ideas about when you will use your tac light ad how. But from a tactical standpoint, this is the best way to have your light mounted in my humble opinion.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Take PFDC's Carbine II class and give it a try.  Let me know what you think after you have to use the light for a while.

The setup is used often and with anthing there are trade offs.

BTW have you verified your light will illuminate the target area at longer ranges (say 25-50 yards?).
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like it's in the same position as the Surefire M500's.My Carbine instructor had one on his SIG 550 and recommended them to civies for a home defense AR because they are simple and fairly snag free.I don't hink they're double heat shielded though and may heat up too fast if throwing lots of lead downrange.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Take PFDC's Carbine II class and give it a try.  
View Quote

Well, I will have to take his carbine calss I first. Next time he has it I may try to take my personal leave from work and do his class.

BTW have you verified your light will illuminate the target area at longer ranges (say 25-50 yards?).
View Quote

Yup, its about a good 50 yrds. of light quality.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top