Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2003 5:16:10 PM EDT

caption reads:
The M-16 rifle of a U.S. Army soldier accidentally fires near a Reuters photographer during a search operation, after a convoy of military vehicles was attacked in the central al-Mansour area of Baghdad July 14, 2003. Attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns at U.S. soldiers in Baghdad on Monday, killing one and wounding six, the U.S. military said.  REUTERS/Faleh Kheiber

the picture below was evidently taken just a few seconds prior to the one above:

caption reads:
A U.S. soldier prepares to retrieve an abandoned weapon which was found in an unfinished house and allegedly was used by insurgents while attacking a humvee convoy in Baghdad, Iraq (news - web sites), early Monday, July 14, 2003. One soldier was injured in the attack but another was killed in a separate attack on a military convoy in the capital. (AP Photo/Ali Haider)

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
D'oh! [shock]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it. I'll bet the reporter just about $hit his pants in that one!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeeeeeeeeeee!
I'd pay a dollar to hear the ass chewing the platoon Sgt. delivered after that gem!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure he's got an Article 15 comin his way and maybe a loss of rank. The way he's got that ammo slung like Rambo is stupid as well. Also note the 3rd ID patch and lack of any go fast stuff on his weapon. Maybe he should get some 550 cord and make a "at the ready, hands free sling". Better yet someone should give him a Kiwi injection. Then again he's there and I'm not so God Bless him.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
treat, never, [s]keep,[/s] [s]keep[/s]

Looks like he threw the third and fourth rules of rifle safety out the window- thank goodness rules one and two were being observed.

I always tell my Marines on the KD course- "We have four safety rules- just follow one of the four at any given time, and nobody will be killed."

Think about it- follow at LEAST one of the four, and you're all set.  Of course, we encourage the use of ALL FOUR at the same time, just because Marines are bound to fuck something up.  

I hope that nasty 3rd ID 'soldier' learned a valuable lesson from this- him and his buddies are not in a fricken video game- the shit over there is real and stupidity is a serial-killer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
From the looks of it that is the ammo from the MG he is looking at, not his own linked ammo for an M16.  

Doh is right.  I like the 1 outta 4 point though  :)
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
treat, never, [s]keep,[/s] [s]keep[/s]

Looks like he threw the third and fourth rules of rifle safety out the window- thank goodness rules one and two were being observed.

I always tell my Marines on the KD course- "We have four safety rules- just follow one of the four at any given time, and nobody will be killed."

Think about it- follow at LEAST one of the four, and you're all set.  Of course, we encourage the use of ALL FOUR at the same time, just because Marines are bound to fuck something up.  

I hope that nasty 3rd ID 'soldier' learned a valuable lesson from this- him and his buddies are not in a fricken video game- the shit over there is real and stupidity is a serial-killer.
View Quote

What are the 4 rules? Don't say Marines are bound to fuck up, I only saw 1 of the 7 in Airborne School crack his head open. Oh ya and there was the one who got stuck in the door of a C-141 at 1200ft. and had to be beaten out of the plane by a Black Hat and the Load Master. I'm laughing really bad.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Treat (every weapon as if it were loaded)

Never (Point the weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy)

Keep (your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire)

Keep (the weapon on safe until you intend to fire)
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]

and, the four rules on thumbtacked to the top of the AR15.com thread listing...
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=118&id=180[/url]

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a great picture!  You can actually see the black circle from the projectile impact and disintegration, as well as the small black cloud of debris rebounding off the cement.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
From the looks of it that is the ammo from the MG he is looking at, not his own linked ammo for an M16.
View Quote

If that gun fires linked ammo it doesn't look loaded? The smoke is behind the guy, no shell casings in pic. There is something on the ground that looks like a casing but it is in both pix. If that gun went off by it's self who would be dumb enough to still be standing in front of it to take more pix? Looks stagged.?!?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#12]
WOW!  Nothing like screwin the pooch with an AP wire photographer taking picture of it!!  I'll bet that there were a couple of skidmarks on the old drawers after that one.  

God bless all of our fine service men and women.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]

> If that gun fires linked ammo it doesn't look loaded?

read the caption.  it wasn't the gun on the ground that went off.  it was the soldier's M16 that went off.  the linked belt, as was pointed out above, is for the iraqi MG on the floor.

> Looks stagged?!?

go into an enclosed area, roughly the same size of the room in the picture.  load a round of M193 or M855 into the chamber of your AR15, and discharge it.  your ears are going to ring for the rest of the week and you'll unconsider "staging" anything again for the rest of your life.

this particular soldier was careless with a loaded weapon.  fortunately, it would appear that the only thing that got damaged was the hearing of a several soldiers and a few news photographers.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh I thought they were talking about the one on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Then again he's there and I'm not so God Bless him.

View Quote
exactly [;)]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

and, the four rules on thumbtacked to the top of the AR15.com thread listing...
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=118&id=180[/url]

ar-jedi
View Quote

Guess I should have read those tacked posts before I ever posted here. I'll go back and do that now, guess I figured it was one of those I don't need no stinkin instructions things. Turns out I don't know one of the most important things this site has to offer.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]
obviously watching blackhawk down to much.
"Sir, my finger is my safety"
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#18]
The only reason that photographer got that picture was because his finger was on the button, the gun went off and he accidentally pushed the button as he was shitting himself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if it would be nitpicking to point out that it's an M4 and not an M16?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Any ideas on what would have happened had there been some of that belted ammo in front of his muzzle when the ND happened?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any ideas on what would have happened had there been some of that belted ammo in front of his muzzle when the ND happened?
View Quote

[X][X][X][X][X]

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#22]
It looks like the fella is trying to pick that weapon and ammo up. Trying to pick up a bunch of %#@!$%! while holding a rifle is not easy. The combination of trying to pick that crap up while holding the M-16 probably did it to him.

This is yet another arguement for the 3 point sling. Put the weapon on safe and let it hang, and you can use both hands. It is also a good advertisement for not trying to do too much while holding a rifle.

If you have ever worked a training course you learn that it is pretty easy to induce this sort of thing. Have the students shoot and run and shoot and then give them something to do that requires both hands and some concentration in the middle of the course of fire.

You would be amazed how many of them will totally melt down and forget safe handling...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Not trying to justify his careless mistake, but soldiers make mistakes too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
That's a Soviet-design RPD light machine gun, if I am not mistaken.  You'll notice the ammo belt links are not the disintegrating type, you can see the expended portion of the belt is intact. All US and NATO belt fed machineguns use disintegrating link belts.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#25]
"But sir, I didn't have my finger on the trigger.  I had BOTH on, and there's no rule about keeping both fingers off the trigger."
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
You know, that guy (probably just a kid) is keeping my ass sitting fat and happy in a warm home, while he's out there with his ass on the line every damn day.

I'm not gonna scold him.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know, that guy (probably just a kid) is keeping my ass sitting fat and happy in a warm home, while he's out there with his ass on the line every damn day.

I'm not gonna scold him.
View Quote

Ditto, shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit happens and every one was ok when it was over.
Sounds like a lesson learned.

NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I agree, glad he's out there, but if I was his squad mate, I'd take all his frags away!!!!

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's a Soviet-design RPD light machine gun, if I am not mistaken.  You'll notice the ammo belt links are not the disintegrating type, you can see the expended portion of the belt is intact. All US and NATO belt fed machineguns use disintegrating link belts.
View Quote

Actually, I think thats a PK or PKM, not an RPD.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#31]
ND- if it hasn't happened to you, IT WILL.

I am super careful, but I had a ND last winter  with a .454 Casull carbine. I was very tired, aggrevated by another F-up on my part, freezing cold, and trying to hang on to my right hand mitten while unloading. The mitten got caught in a funny way, and activated the trigger. The only thing I did right was kept the muzzle in a safe direction.

I thought it would never happen to me.

Lets learn from mistakes, so we can make more intellegent mistakes.

Pete

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder if it would be nitpicking to point out that it's an M4 and not an M16?
View Quote

Nope not nitpicking, just the obvious truth that I did not bother to look close enough and post the obvious.  Thanks for setting me straight.  You told me didn't ya. [ni]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Why don't all the sit at home, know-it-all   wannabes go TRY to do the same job he's doing. Talk is pretty cheap.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Pretty well stated.

It is a valuable lesson, though, in the benefits of keeping that safety on when the weapon is not at your shoulder. Do it for just such an occasion.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope they do let him off with a simple ass chewing.  Based on my experience, all the shit he'll be getting from his other squad members will more than guarantee this won't happen again.

I bet they are all having more fun poking fun at the photographer that probably had to change his shorts...

That is an excellent picture though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#36]
One thing that struck me right off was that he was reaching for a possible booby trap. Maybe they don't have a problem with that over there like they did in 'Nam. Yeah, the rifle should have been on safe unless there was active combat going on, and it doesn't seem like there was. Too bad you can't see the hammer on rifles like you can on a pistol - not many will carry one cocked but not locked.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, I think thats a PK or PKM, not an RPD.
View Quote

Did some further research, you are correct and I stand corrected. good call.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Smooth Move Exlax.

It's not funny, but really it is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why don't all the sit at home, know-it-all   wannabes go TRY to do the same job he's doing. Talk is pretty cheap.

View Quote

Been there, done that. I sure as hell apriciate the courage and sacrifice he is doing for ALL of us!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Shit happens, and I betcha we know just about when to a very small fraction of a second.  

Bugler Sound Laundry Call, washerwomen to the front.  I been on ranges when there were nds in the proper direction and they're bad enough. Slowfire with a 45, haven't fired this one before so you're kinda wondering about how crappy the trigger pull will be.  Getting your breathing in rythym.  Ready on the Right, Ready on the Left, All BANG  grrrr
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top