Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/14/2003 5:52:28 AM EDT
My RRA 20" HBAR should be ariving in a couple of weeks. I keep hearing people talking about a break in procedure.

What should my break in procedure be??

20" HBAR not chrome lined, no muzzle brake
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:39:25 AM EDT
Your manufacturer should have a break-in procedure for the particular barrel that is coming with your AR. Generally you'll find more stringent procedures for a stainless match barrel as opposed to chrome moly. RRA is the company that should supply the correct break-in procedures. I try and faithfully follow the manufacturers recommendations as I'm damn sure going to hold their feet to the fire when it comes to warranty. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:46:29 AM EDT
Shoot the damn thing! Especially if you have a Chrome lined barrel, no special break-in peroid is necessary.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:48:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf: Shoot the damn thing! Especially if you have a Chrome lined barrel, no special break-in peroid is necessary.
View Quote
Torf, mjohn3006 notes his barrel is NOT chrome lined.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:56:42 PM EDT
Whether or not you need to break in a barrel is a constant source of passionate arguments. So is the exact procedure involved in doing it. Note that failing to break in a barrel certainly will NOT in any way permanently damage it. Breaking in the barrel MIGHT make it slightly more accurate and/or easier to clean. Unless you’re a real accuracy freak, it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth. Plus, assuming you clean it properly, the barrel will break itself in over time anyway. The least complicated procedure that I’ve seen involves simply firing 20 rounds through the barrel while cleaning the bore after every round (that’s 20 cleanings). If you do this, use [b]good[/b] equipment (not, for example, the segmented military rod) to make sure you don’t damage the bore with these repeated cleanings. If you’re not sure how to clean an AR correctly or don’t have the right equipment, don’t do this at all since you’re very likely to do more damage than good!! For a slightly different break-in procedure see: [url]www.kriegerbarrels.com/break_in_and_cleaning.php[/url], especially the end of the article. However, your barrel is presumably not a Krieger custom barrel, so you may decide this doesn’t apply to you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2003 6:21:45 AM EDT by Torf]
Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
Originally Posted By Torf: Shoot the damn thing! Especially if you have a Chrome lined barrel, no special break-in peroid is necessary.
View Quote
Torf, mjohn3006 notes his barrel is NOT chrome lined.
View Quote
"I [b]SEE[/b]" said the blind man!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:38:58 AM EDT
A Free Man's 5 Min Break-in Procedure 1. Any new firearm should be cleaned before first firing to remove any stray crud. 2. Plug in full USGI 30 rnd mag. 3. Chamber a round. 4. Point downrange, preferably at a target. 5. Pull trigger rapidly 30 times. 6. Let cool 5 minutes, repeat. 7. You are done, it's broke in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:19:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006: My RRA 20" HBAR should be ariving in a couple of weeks. I keep hearing people talking about a break in procedure. What should my break in procedure be?? 20" HBAR not chrome lined, no muzzle brake
View Quote
From the warranty card of my RRA: "Congratulations on your new purchase. The barrel on your new rifle comes lapped in from the factory, therefore no break in of the barrel is required." It is NOT chrome lined however.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:24:16 PM EDT
Unless you are going to use this rifle to compete in NRA high power or other similar competitions, don't worry about any break in procedures. Unness you really, really, enjoy cleaning the barrel after each shot for the first 30-50 shots, it's not going to make a difference.
Top Top