Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2003 9:52:52 PM EDT
Well I need help deciding. I want a Watson's Weapons .50 BMG upper in the worst way. But the Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf is more practical. Many more places to shoot it being the biggest. The cost difference is not really an issue except for the fact I could also get quite a bit of reloading supplies for the beowulf for the difference in price. Any suggestions from those who have either of these?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want do do with it?  .50 BMG and .50 Beowulf are not even remotely similar.  You might as well be agonizing over a .22 lr vs a 12 gauge shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I know we are comparing apples and oranges. I will do what each is the best at. I have a place to take advantage of the long range use of the .50 BMG and also would enjoy shooting the Beowulf at the range.
I am just looking for pros and cons of either.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The Watson .50 BMG is slow as molasses to operate, that is the biggest down side.  The .50 BMG is terribly expensive to shoot, even milsurp ammo is going to run you over a $1 a shot and if you reload, if you want good reloads, you are going to drop a lot more money.  I got the AR-50 and by the time I got the scope and all the goodies to reload match grade ammo, I had three times the cost of the rifle tied up in the .50 BMG total.  There is nothing cheap about shooting the .50 BMG, don't be fooled into thinking you can shoot it cheap using surplus ammo, it is still going to cost you a lot.  And forget about putting a cheapo scope on it.  Figure at least on spending $700 to twice that amount on optics.  The cheapest scope I would recommend is the Leupold VXIII LR series.  Better still are the Nightforce or Mk 4.  I have absolutely no faith in the budget priced Super Snipers by Tasco.  Some hold up, many do not.  The .50 B on the other hand, is not cheap to shoot either, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than the .50 BMG.  Optics do not need to be so rugged and you can shoot a lot more quickly with the semi.  The 50 B is great for shooting 150 yards or less, while if you are not shooting the .50 BMG at ranges of at least 300 yards, you're just wasting ammo and making noise IMO.  Why use a long-range rifle for shooting at short range?  The 50 B will not cost you an arm and leg to get going either.  Dies, bullets, brass, and powder are much cheaper and you don't need a special press to load for it.  For the amount of powder you shoot in a .50 BMG, 220 gr to 235 gr, you can load 4 or 5 .50 B rounds.
Just something to think about.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a .50 Beowulf, and thoroughly enjoy and recommend it.

If I had a place to shoot it, I would enjoy a .50 BMG.  Since I don't, I would vote for the Beowulf.

It is quite a bit more practical.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I really want a .50 Beowulf now.. but i dont really know anything about it.. I have 3 ar's (2 rra and 1 bushmaster) is there any way i can convert one of them to fire the .50 beowulf?

another question i have is the .50 beowulf ammunition readilly available at any price?

Thanx, Nolan
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a .50Beowulf and LOVE it.  It is awesome.  I shot it again the other day and put a round into a 4 inch piece of lumber (or shoudl I say through it)  It was even a flat nose, and it made a hole the size of a golf ball or bigger on the exit.  They are a blast.  the ammo is not widely available but usually you can get it from the dealer you buy the upper from.   They are the best.  I love it.  I am buying a lower for it tomorrow, to make it a permanant home.  :)

My buddy has a shop and he just got another upper in for me if you are interested in buying it let me know.  It even has the muzzle comp. on it, and a flat top.  

The only ammo I have seen is made by AA, and the prices do not seem to fluctuate from the net to the shops.
Just like this but with the muzzle break is what is available

[img]http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/beoentry.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the one I want.

[url]http://server50.hypermart.net/50bmg/001.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really want a .50 Beowulf now.. but i dont really know anything about it.. I have 3 ar's (2 rra and 1 bushmaster) is there any way i can convert one of them to fire the .50 beowulf?

another question i have is the .50 beowulf ammunition readilly available at any price?

Thanx, Nolan
View Quote

Cabelas sells Beowulf uppers and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Sparky5,
Y do you want a watson weapon upper?
are you unimpressed by the anzio ironworks bmg - 3999 http://www.anzioironworks.com/light_50.htm
or the ever popular
Barrett - http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles_99.html

In my opinion the .50 b would be a very nice choice cause it would be more fun and less of a challenge.  I would only buy the 50 bmg if i was hunting long range game (like maybe at gofer 2500 yards) and was very confident in my aim.  
I am interested in long range accuarcy but have my .308 ruger for that.
When i think of the 50b i think of shooting watermelons and one word.. "Spleewyy"
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Halfcocked
I have that 50 bmg upper(ALS) and I love it. The guy that makes them just won the Hunter class at 1000 yards and was 2nd in the heavy class 1000 yards at the 50 Nationals. Just goes to show that the uppers are just as accurate as the high dollar ones.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
223s:

This Christmas.

What is there not to like.  A 50 BMG with no paper and more accurate than I'll ever be.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
i'd choose .50BMG over .50Beowolf or .50AE any day!
If you're going to spend all that money, go for .50bmg.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top