BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
As I said before Bushmaster buys parts from military suppliers, of course the fire control parts are of the ar15 variety. They are made on the same machinery with same metal. Now with that said I hear that there are some parts made out of country that some importers are importing which is crap. I don't think either BM or Armalite put these parts on there rifles or offer the same for sale, it just would not be good for business. I have bought parts at a gun show that were crap-maybe out of spec military rejects or imports. I have seen both style of trigger gaurds on military issue rifles. The military puts out specs that have to be met. To the trigger gaurd it must be a certain color and maybe have a certain bursting or breaking point and maybe withstand so many hours is salt bath without failing. Other parts must pass a tolerence inspection with limits and a hardness spec too-besisdes a finish test and other tests. The first SGW kit I had contained M16 fire controls which I ditched because they were crap. The next hammer I got from SGW had the auto sear hook cut off of it. It is hard to tell the good parts from the bad because of the finish the part look like new although it maybe out of spec. Buy from a good known source and you want go wrong. If you purchase parts through a dealer that comes from a military contractor, chances are pretty good that the parts will be good. As for the barell lined vrs unlined, what a hot potatoe. Military uses lined, I have both, and cannot tell the difference the way I shoot. This debate on bbls will always be ongoing.  Amos
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 5subslr5! Will do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 my friend had one M16 part on his AR-15 and is now serving his 10 year sentence.
View Quote

What part was it ?
View Quote

Tank - awaiting your response.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do buy the fact that the military uses the plastic trigger guard because the metal ones could bend. In a firefight, you're not going to have the time to bend the metal back, you have to shoot RIGHT NOW. Anyway, the trigger guard isn't my concern, barrel life is. The barrel life on bushmasters *should* be longer than on Armalites.
View Quote

My question for you is does the military use a plastic trigger guard?  Do you know for a FACT that they do?  I said it earlier and I'll say it again...because Bushmaster uses a plastic trigger guard does not mean that the military uses it.

Are there any Army or USMC members out there that can put this FACT to rest?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard that rifles supplied to the military have the aluminum trigger gaurd and they only use the plastic one if eventualy the aluminum one needs to be replaced,personaly I like the aluminum my 2 bushys came with the plastic,one pre ive had 11 years and the post is 2 years old,maybe eventualy Ill change them to aluminum and use the plastic as the military does,as a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...What weapons does Armalite supply to to the US Govt, and in what quantities? I assume the AR10 is one. Anything else?

View Quote

Can't answer your question - and so far as quantities I don't know and wouldn't answer if I did.
View Quote

No offense intended but if you can't answer a question about your own statement and you further admit that you don't know WHAT AND HOW MANY weapons Armalite is supplying to the military then how do you expect your statements to be taken as fact.  If you can't answer because you don't know then why bring the issue up in the first place.  And if you can't answer because you such info is not allowed to be given then, again, why bring up the issue in the first place.  Unsusbstantiated information just further confuses the issue and do not get us closer to the truth.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think he had the hammer with J-pin, I don't recall, it's been a while.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
my friend had one M16 part on his AR-15 and is now serving his 10 year sentence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What part was it ?

I highly doubt that. If he got 10yrs it was for something more serious.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think he had the hammer with J-pin, I don't recall, it's been a while.
View Quote

He got 10 years for an M16 hammer? [BS]

What real crime did he commit?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Having an M16 part on your AR-15 makes it an unregistered machine gun. If you own an unregistered machine gun, what do you get? That's what I thought. I didn't make the rules, don't call me a liar. In fact, if you read a part of the main page, you'd realize that having parts of the M16 on your AR-15, even parts that don't make it full auto is illegal. If you guys think this sentence sounds ridiculous, note that you can get prison time for owning a bayonette on one of these rifles.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
We all know that possessing M16 parts is illegal but we’re asking what crime your friend committed in the first place.  We doubt he got 10 years just because he had a M16 hammer.  Besides, how did the police even know he owned this [b]ONE[/b] M16 part?  My guess is he committed another crime and was arrested.  Then they dug around and found some weapons charges to tack onto his sentence to keep him off the streets for a longer time period.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We all know that possessing M16 parts is illegal but we’re asking what crime your friend committed in the first place.  We doubt he got 10 years just because he had a M16 hammer.  Besides, how did the police even know he owned this [b]ONE[/b] M16 part?  My guess is he committed another crime and was arrested.  Then they dug around and found some weapons charges to tack onto his sentence to keep him off the streets for a longer time period.
View Quote

Like getting pulled over for a broken tail light and being found to have an expired drivers' license, open beer bottles in the back seat, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, he used his weapon for self defense, not realizing that he had an illegal piece on it from a previous owner. Thanks for your terrible assumptions!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
[bs] [bs2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#15]
"The most important lack of features in the Armalite is that the lower receiver is not DIAS or Link ready and the front site is a clamp on style rather than put on with taper pins."

Mil spec does not call for a receiver to be able to accept a DIAS or LLink.  They have a another hole drilled and a real M16 autosear.  This is a non-issue to anyone except those few Law Enforcement Agencies, or the few civiliarns who legally own a DIAS or LL, who want to perform this particular conversion.  But it is no concern to civilians who wish to own a regular semi-auto AR15.  It is not a lack of quality.

The clamp-on front sight base is Armalite's excellent solution to the canted front sight base problem, which has been a problem for nearly every manufacturer of the AR15/M16 rifle design.  Replacing the original FSB with Armalite's clamp-on is often recommended to fix this common problem.  And it hold just as well.  I think it is a product innovation superior to "mil-spec".

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Angst, your bullshit is bullshit. Believe what you will, but I suggest in the future not giving your opinion on something you know nothing about. Yes, that cans you can never give your opinion on anything ever again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top