Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:41:21 PM EDT
I have a 24" stainless heavy barrel (Rock River) and damn, this thing is heavy. Was thinking about getting it fluted but don't know if that would be plain dumb or if it is OK to do. Is there any downside with respect to accuracy? If I decide to do it, about how much does it cost and can anyone recommend someone I could send the upper to and get it done right? (I'm in TX)
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2003 8:51:01 PM EDT by stinkeypete]
Mike, I feel your pain! I have the same barrel. Expect to pay $100 for fluting at Compass Lake. They are a top outfit, and won't wreck your barrel. DON'T DO IT. Here is why. 1) Keep that big pipe, and put a bipod on it. Now you have a varmint rig. 2) Buy a RRA 16" upper for $370 at Adco. Now you have light and handy, for only $270 more. Besides, you can not flute enough weight off that 24" pipe to make a dent in it's mighty, wiggle stopping mass! About me: I just did an interlace of 3 logarithmic spiral flutes in my 10/22 take-off barrel (by hand with a file and a vise... 6 hours.) to see if I could do it. Yep, you can spiral flute by hand with a triangle file, chainsaw file, a magic marker, ruler, and string. 6 hours for 5 inches.... that's 30 hours for 24"... $3.00 per hour... I'm having it done for me. I'm collecting parts for a custom build. I'm thinking 20" with fluting, and then see if I still need both. I expect I will! Pete
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:52:02 PM EDT
[b] I agree with Pete , your not even going to notice much of a difference if you got that 24" barrel fluted . As for the accurcy issue don't worry about it . I do like the look of fluted barrels. Get yourself a harris bipod for that upper. Think about the 16" upper too Good Luck SaFe ShOoTiNg Jerry [):)][/b]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:46:43 PM EDT
I agree. You most likely wouldn't even notice the weight reduction. Save the money for more toys.[:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:55:36 PM EDT
For the 'look' alone yes if you like it. There is really no practical benefit (per ArmaLite).
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:58:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 5subslr5: For the 'look' alone yes if you like it. There is really no practical benefit (per ArmaLite).
View Quote
A 24" bbl. isn't going to receive enough weight reduction to make a noticeable diff, but a shorter bbl. might benefit more from the reduced mass. Heat dissipation is a practical benefit of fluting, but it's null unless you push enough rounds through yours to make it an issue. More beneficial for a carbine hvy bbl., to shed those extra ounces.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:51:40 PM EDT
OK, thanks guys. Fluting will not be done. I got the benchrest Harris bipod and installed it - those are really nice by the way and it is the perfect height for the benches at the range I go to. Accuracy for me is good, shot 20 rounds inside 2" at 100 yards with a Bushnell Elite scope. I'm happy with that, I don't practice often and don't consider myself a great shot or anything. A new, extra upper is a good idea, will look into it. Regards, Mike
Top Top