Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:36:52 AM EDT
Is it ok to leave the bolt locked back when I have my rifle locked with a cable gunlock? Or should I lower the bolt onto the cable?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My thinking would be that by leaving it back for periods of time would eventually weaken your buffer spring.  Just like leaving a mag fully loaded and leaving it sit.  I personally lower mine.  (Glad to see someone paying attention to safety)  I really do think you would be much better lowering the bolt carrier onto the cable to reduce the pressure it is stored under.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My thinking would be that by leaving it back for periods of time would eventually weaken your buffer spring.  Just like leaving a mag fully loaded and leaving it sit.  I personally lower mine.  (Glad to see someone paying attention to safety)  I really do think you would be much better lowering the bolt carrier onto the cable to reduce the pressure it is stored under.
Just my .02
View Quote

Wrongo

Springs do not deteriorate from remaining compressed over time. They wear and lose their spring constant or force from repeatedly being compressed and uncompressed (or cycled).

Leaving the bolt open hurts nothing.

Same goes for keeping a Mag loaded over time. It does not wear out the magazine.

The only recommendation I have for Furner is to not let the bolt slam onto the cable. As far as leaving the bolt opened or closed……..either is fine.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Store it open is fine, but be aware that if you slam the stock on the ground, or give it any other sudden impact, that the bolt will release and go forward.  It may be a bad idea to store a loaded magazine in the well with a bolt locked back (slam fire possibility), but I doubt you will do that because you are locking it with a cable lock, and that would prevent the bolt from going into battery anyway.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a post on here that the author said that leaving the mag fully loaded stored had lost its spring.  I have not had it happen personally and therefore cannot say it is the rule.  Plus leaving it open leaves it open to the elements.  Moisture and any dust that may happen to get into your safe, (probably not a lot I hope) just a thought
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My advice is to get a safe. If you can't afford a good one right now get a Homak or similar locking cabinet. It will slow down a burglar a little and kids won't be able to get at it.
You can upgrade later.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok to lock the bolt back, that way you can quickly see that the gun is clear.  All ours are locked back at all times when not in use.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
My safety advice, is to remove the bolt assy. altogether, and store it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely DO NOT leave the bolt back with a loaded mag in the well. Unless of course you don't like your children, your freedom and/or you have large life insurance policies on everyone in your home. You may need the money for your defense.

As for leaving the bolt back to see that the weapon is clear:
1]everyone in your home should be taught proper weapon handling. EVERYONE!

2]No weapon should ever be handled by anyone without first properly clearing it. I taught my son how to clear a weapon when he was 5 and he does so even after I have checked it for him.

3]The guns action will accumulate debris by leaving the action open. If the dust cover is closed with a rearward bolt you have just negated the impetus to leave the bolt back in order to check for a cleared weapon.

Get a safe or locking cabinet. Put it in your closet and leave it open at night.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Absolutely DO NOT leave the bolt back with a loaded mag in the well. Unless of course you don't like your children, your freedom and/or you have large life insurance policies on everyone in your home. You may need the money for your defense.

2]No weapon should ever be handled by anyone without first properly clearing it. I taught my son how to clear a weapon when he was 5 and he does so even after I have checked it for him.

3]The guns action will accumulate debris by leaving the action open. If the dust cover is closed with a rearward bolt you have just negated the impetus to leave the bolt back in order to check for a cleared weapon.

Get a safe or locking cabinet. Put it in your closet and leave it open at night.
View Quote

No one ever proposed doing that. Furner wanted to run a cable lock through the mag well out the ejection port. The question was about if leaving the bolt locked back ws OK.

Geez.

Now there will be 10 more replies off that are off the subject.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No one ever proposed doing that. Furner wanted to run a cable lock through the mag well out the ejection port. The question was about if leaving the bolt locked back ws OK.
View Quote

There was a post alluding to the fact that it was advantageous to leave the bolt open to see that the weapon is clear at all times. Of course I'm going to say something about that. No flame intended on anyone. Such advice could be construed many ways by novices coming to this site.
I gave sound advice.

Geez.
View Quote

having a cow can be quite painful.

Now there will be 10 more replies off that are off the subject.
View Quote

BFD. Nothing extraordinary there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top