Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2003 6:42:32 PM EDT
I have a Knight's SR-15 Match rifle and would like to mount the Leupold M3 LR with the illuminated reticle.

Querying the vast experience of the board, what is the best mounting solution?

Should I use a riser and lower rings? Or just use high rings and mount directly to the upper receiver?

I will have the Knight's 600M BUIS installed and I would like to achieve proper stockweld. I have heard a lot of good things about the 1 Piece Armalite mount due to it placing the optic the same height as Iron sights would be.

I look forward to what you guys have to say.

TIA, DD out!!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
ARMS #35 QD base and ARMS #35 medium rings. That with your rifle will pretty much have you on your way to a MK12 Mod 1 SPR.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a set-up with the #35 QD base and #35 medium ring, Leupold LR M1 and KAC 600M BUIS. It doesn't look like the 600m would fit with #35 low rings. Because the rings, medium spacer and base stack-up and are secured with screws, I found it was good to lap the rings with Brownell's 30 mm lapping bar. It helped in aligning everything while assembling and then a bit of lapping and the scope fit like a glove with not marks on the scope body from the rings.
Ed
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/65524/UXWNM-mk12-l4.JPG[/img]

One "non-standard" aspect of the photo you should be aware of, I drilled an additional hole between each of the ring mounting holes in the #35 QD base and Heli-coiled them. This gave me finer adjustment in placing the rear ring so I could get the eye relief I wanted and have as wide a support base for the scope as possible.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
What is that crazy stock set up you have there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a VLTOR clubfoot.  It looks great ducati!  How do you like it? I am considering putting that same stock on my preban m4.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t want to hijack DDMAO’s thread but I’m extremely interested in your rifle ducati650, could you maybe enlighten us on a new thread or if you have one that is already going post the link. I’m curious as to receiver mfg, barrel, and where you managed to get the OPSINC break.

Best Regards, J
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I really like the VLTOR stock. The Clubfoot is great for using the non-dominant hand for support. The cheek weld is better than any stock I've ever used on an AR15.

The Compass Lake, SPR profile, Douglas premium SS barrel and OPS Inc. comp came from Wes at MSTN. The barrel came with a matching both that had been selected to provide minimum headspace. Many other parts, RAS, KAC front sight, KAC gas block, ARMS scope mounts and base, etc. also came from Wes. The upper receiver was one I had and it was from Fulton. Wes can fix you up with a complete upper or the pieces though he only sells the 2 port comp if you buy the barrel from him. Here is a thread from Wes with more photos and information.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=113592[/url]

Here is a photo of a 5 shot group at 50 yds using BH 68 gr. heavy match ammo. This was from a bench using the Harris bi-pod and my hand on the club for support.

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/65524/GKUNH-tar1b.JPG[/img]

Ed
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Wes,

Is it possible for us mere mortals to obtain a Leupold TS-30? I’ve never seen them available to the public.

Best Regards, J
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input gent's, you guys have some nice looking thunder sticks.

From your input, I think I would prefer the A.R.M.S #35 QD mount with the medium rings with the LR M3.

What if I chose to go Trijicon ACOG TA55 or 31F, would that just mount directly to the upper and be good to go??

What do you guys think of the above mentioned ACOG's on an SPR??

Thanks, DD out!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wes,

I just took a look and the TA55 looks to weigh double that of most ACOGS. Would the 26 ounce weight of the TA55 really matter on a fullsize rifle like the SR-15 though??

The TA31F looks very nice as well for a 5.56 application, what do you think of that particular model?

Also, can you expect to get the same accuracy out to the max effective range with the ACOG vice a traditional scope?

Thanks, DD out!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I couldn't find a 31F so I went with the TA55. I guess I will see first hand just how heavy that mother really is.

Wes, will I need to put the TA55 on the A.R.M.S #19 ACOG riser in order to clear the 600M BUIS?

I also ordered the new 9" Harris swiveling bipod with the FOBUS rail mount.

Tommorow I will order the VLTOR stock and the FALCON Ambi Ergo grip (im a lefty) and I should be good to hook.

If everything get's to my AO on time, I should be able to start the break in process this weekend. I plan on using the Federal 69 Grain Gold Medal Match BTHP rounds to break her in.

Thanks for all the input gents.

DD out!! [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top