BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would most likely go with the HK UPS .45. A friend of mine has one and it quite a nice firearm.  I was quite impress with the feel and the accuracy of the pistol.  The Glock 21 is also a good choice as well.  If it were me a 18 years old i would just buy one and put the rest of the money in the bank or a good inventment. You will have plenty of year ahead of you to purchase firearms.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would most likely go with the HK UPS .45....  
View Quote

I would second the USP .45
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]

my US$0.02...  either get an inexpensive .22 as has been suggested above, or if you have to "go big" get youself a ex-LEO used glock .45 ($350).

then use the rest of your money to get the first couple of college classes under your belt.  owning a beautiful "hi-zoot" firearm and being penniless would suck.  owning a utility firearm while you further your education is the disciplined way.  and you'll be better off for it.

after you finish college you can get a job that on average, pays twice what high school grads make.  (this info is from a recent yahoo front page article.) yes, there are exceptions, people defy the "averages" all the time.  but you can stack the odds in your favor.

having an education should not be back-burnered in favor of having nice hardware.  you don't need $2K worth of handguns right now.  think long term.  long term means more than looking forward to the arrival of next month's magazine full of gun ads.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

my US$0.02...  either get an inexpensive .22 as has been suggested above, or if you have to "go big" get youself a ex-LEO used glock .45 ($350).

then use the rest of your money to get the first couple of college classes under your belt.  owning a beautiful "hi-zoot" firearm and being penniless would suck.  owning a utility firearm while you further your education is the disciplined way.  and you'll be better off for it.

after you finish college you can get a job that on average, pays twice what high school grads make.  (this info is from a recent yahoo front page article.) yes, there are exceptions, people defy the "averages" all the time.  but you can stack the odds in your favor.

having an education should not be back-burnered in favor of having nice hardware.  you don't need $2K worth of handguns right now.  think long term.  long term means more than looking forward to the arrival of next month's magazine full of gun ads.

ar-jedi

View Quote

I'm already working out my schooling situation, I plan to enlist after I get the conditions satisfied with my recruiter, and if I choose or need to get college I wouldn't have to pay for all of it. 1000.00 in my pocket goes a LONG way...

Quoted:

Under federal law, a person may not purchase a handgun unless they have reached their 21st birthday. Federal law trumps state law, if--in fact--it says what you think it says.

There is no separate law for private sales. The same law applies to private individuals and to Federal Firearms Licensees. Either seller must satisfy themself that the sale is legal under ALL applicable laws.

You may POSSESS AND USE a handgun under the age of 21 if legally purchased by a parent or legal guardian. Just how far under 21, and how and where you may possess and use the handgun, varies from state to state.

Just a reminder that a straw purchase is an easily prosecuted offense, and once you commit the offense there is a lengthy statute of limitations....

This is not legal advice and should not be construed as such.

View Quote

I don't see how this is true when EVERYONE including the department of the local PD that handles this says it would be legal in both cases (parents buying and transferring, and being 18 and making the private purchase)...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
..I don't see how this is true when EVERYONE including the department of the local PD that handles this says it would be legal in both cases (parents buying and transferring, and being 18 and making the private purchase)...
View Quote

Son - it is the law.

Sec. 922. - Unlawful acts

(a)

It shall be unlawful -

(1)

for any person -

(b)

It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1)

any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition [red]is other than a shotgun or rifle,[/red] or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, [red]to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age; [/red]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
$2500, huh?  That seems like just about enough money for a decent SPR project [:D].  Of course, that is just me.  But honestly, a precision rifle would be pretty cool to get, especially since it seems that you can not get a handgun.  Also, an AK wouldn't be a bad idea, since you never know whether or not they will stop being imported, and since you can find one for about $300 now, it won't put a big dent in you wallet.  Not to mention ammo could be had for eighty bucks a case.  Fun times blasting at the range with one of those[:)].  

You could also get into reloading w/ all that extra cash, but that is a big personal preference, cuz it will take a lot of time.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up getting, and good luck with legally attaining a handgun!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$2500, huh?  That seems like just about enough money for a decent SPR project [:D].  Of course, that is just me.  But honestly, a precision rifle would be pretty cool to get, especially since it seems that you can not get a handgun.  Also, an AK wouldn't be a bad idea, since you never know whether or not they will stop being imported, and since you can find one for about $300 now, it won't put a big dent in you wallet.  Not to mention ammo could be had for eighty bucks a case.  Fun times blasting at the range with one of those[:)].  

You could also get into reloading w/ all that extra cash, but that is a big personal preference, cuz it will take a lot of time.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up getting, and good luck with legally attaining a handgun!
View Quote

I already have an AK copy...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1)

any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition [red]is other than a shotgun or rifle,[/red] or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, [red]to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age; [/red]
View Quote

Oh so what exactly does this mean? It seems it kinda contradicts itself? Meaning I wouldn't be able to buy ammo either? But there you go, any LICENSED dealer or collecter can not sell to under 21, it does NOT say that you can't make a private legal buy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1)

View Quote

Oh so what exactly does this mean? It seems it kinda contradicts itself?
View Quote

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer. You have to be 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#10]
quote]

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer. You have to be 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer.[/quote]

I know this lol. The whole point being, in Michigan, you can LEGALLY buy a handgun from a private individual at 18 years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to comment on the student-versus shooter thing.  I said no to some nice deals years ago (preban...sob!) because I was still in school.  

I didn't have time to shoot much, so I was tempted to collect guns-- a pin gun, and IPSC gun, a skeet gun-- when I didn't have the time to shoot those games.  

Keep the collection small, and above all: save for what you want.  Don't buy something less than ideal to upgrade later.  I could have bought all the good stuff I wanted with the money I spent on "great deals" that came my way when I started out.

Shoot the guns you are interested in, rent, or shoot someone else's.  You'll quickly find out what you like.  And even that will change over time.  I started with a 1911-style pistol, became dead-set against them, got into wheelguns, then came full-circle wanting another 1911.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...I know this lol. The whole point being, in Michigan, you can LEGALLY buy a handgun from a private individual at 18 years.
View Quote

...but you cannot have a friend buy it for you.  This is the clause that puts you in a prohibited class via the FFL process.  Which goes back to your original statement.

I have a buddy that will buy my pistol and transfer it to me, heres where the conflict is...
View Quote

.....Straw Purchase Law: Although the straw purchase of a firearms is not codified under Michigan Code, Michigan Penal Code, Chapter 750, Section 232a, states that, “a person who intentionally makes a material false statement on a application for a license to purchase a pistol . . . is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment of not more than 4 years, or a fine of not more than $2,000.”

Plus...

Quoted:
Question 12a ATF form 4473-"Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s)listed on this form? WARNING: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person . If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.
View Quote

Third base?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not going to have my friend do it, it looks as though my parent will, and if thats the case theres not a problem because I won't have to transfer right away...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have to be 21 to buy from an FFL, [at 18] you can buy from private individuals though.
View Quote

is this TRUE? does it apply in Georgia, too? Man, i've been waiting two and a half years to turn 21... dammit! [:(!]

~Santi
View Quote

Don't know whether you can legally OWN a pistol here in Georgia at 18, but you damn sure can't carry it anywhere til you're 21, and you can't purchase one at a store either.

If you're considering doing what the originator of this thread is planning---I refer you to the Staw Man notes posted here. That federal law is as applicable here in Georgia as it is anywhere else.

WAIT![:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Would the HK be somewhat comparable to the kimber in accuracy? I've heard some "bad" things about HK quality. How much do Tactical .45's go for?? The standard .45 is going for around 720.00 around here...
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've heard some "bad" things about HK quality.
View Quote

[BS]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Take this with a grain or two. But I've seen this situation a couple of times and just wanted to share a story.

Back in my younger years I was really into cars. I used to frequent a web board that talked specifically about racing and such. A local younger lad that my younger brother went to school with was on there wanting advise about all of the latest and greatest (= BIG$$$) and had a boat load of cash that he wanted to spend. Alot of the senior members on the board suggested that he started out slowly, keep the car NA (naturally aspirated) put money aside for a rainy day/college, and take some actual driving schools. The younger guy was insulted that such advise would be given to such a " young but highly responsible person, that has been driving since age 12, and that had it all figured out because he already had school set up (aka parents), and had a big time job set up for him with his father at a supply company that would pay him buku $$, so money was not an issue. He HAD to have the very best, and needed it now and not later. Long story short. He had his car completely done up at age 16, turbo charger and NOS kit and the works. For a short time he was the envy of all of his friends. First week he had his car he was showing off to a couple of friends in the car, a cop car got on him and hit his lights, the kid panics and tryed to out race the cop. He couldn't control this souped up ride because he didn't want to waste his time at a driving school. He hit a corner and didn't understand what "oversteer" was, wiped out and hit a school bus and now he's a quadraplegic(sp?). And has to deal with the death of one of the passengers in his car. Who's family is now sueing him. He no longer will be able to drive any car.

Again, this is just a situation that I remembered that I just wanted to share with you. Take it how you want it. But just so you know, we all go through that phase when we were that age that we are "responsible" enough and have it figured out. Trust me. I'm sure about 99% of everyone on here can concur that at that age they all felt that way and later on down the road look back and laugh at them selves.

All of the advise given about building up your shooting skills is for the long haul. Not the quick "cool" factor. Alot of people, even some that have "shot for years" can benifit from such humble advise given here.

Have fun and stay safe.

Ari-
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
To keep this post at Q&A,
The H&K quality is EXCEPTIONAL, their cust service leaves much to be desired (from what I hear) I lost a clip(Jesus clip not mag) and they replaced the whole guide rod with an updated one and I had it back in 2 days.  (my experience with them is perfect)  
The HK USP45 Tactical sells for $1000-$1300 new.  The accuracy is second to none IMO.  The O-ring barrel adds much to the accuracy (only available with the Tactical, SOCOM, and Expert)  Even my USP40 Compact is so damn accurate that you would be hard pressed to find a better out of the box shooter (custom guns aside) Having you parents buy the gun would be the best bet because when they fill out the form
1.) they ARE the actual buyer of the weapon (Not a straw purchase)
2.) Straw purchases are really pertaining to people who buy a gun lawfully to give, sell to a person who cannot lawfully purchase a gun, i.e. has a restraining order, felony under their belt etc.  If they buy it then you could just avoid any and all questions buy just shooting "your fathers gun"  Of couse I know you know you cannot carry it so that is a mute point.  The very fact that you are inquiring about the legalities of this shows you have some responsibility, how you act upon it is another story, but you are on the right track.
I may be biased because I wil not purchase any other handgun but an H&K, but they really are unmatched in their class, hands down.  Go to a local pistol range that rents guns, and most do, many rent the H&K's.  Soot one and then you will see.  Who knows, it may be too big for your hands and is not comfortable. Hold one shoot one, and if you like it buy it and you will not regret it.  They are Hell-solid (sorry was watching SouthPark last night)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in my younger years I was really into cars. I used to frequent a web board that talked specifically about racing and such. A local younger lad that my younger brother went to school with was on there wanting advise about all of the latest and greatest (= BIG$$$) and had a boat load of cash that he wanted to spend. Alot of the senior members on the board suggested that he started out slowly, keep the car NA (naturally aspirated) put money aside for a rainy day/college, and take some actual driving schools. The younger guy was insulted that such advise would be given to such a " young but highly responsible person, that has been driving since age 12, and that had it all figured out because he already had school set up (aka parents), and had a big time job set up for him with his father at a supply company that would pay him buku $$, so money was not an issue. He HAD to have the very best, and needed it now and not later. Long story short. He had his car completely done up at age 16, turbo charger and NOS kit and the works. For a short time he was the envy of all of his friends. First week he had his car he was showing off to a couple of friends in the car, a cop car got on him and hit his lights, the kid panics and tryed to out race the cop. He couldn't control this souped up ride because he didn't want to waste his time at a driving school. He hit a corner and didn't understand what "oversteer" was, wiped out and hit a school bus and now he's a quadraplegic(sp?). And has to deal with the death of one of the passengers in his car. Who's family is now sueing him. He no longer will be able to drive any car.

Ari-
View Quote

A few things stick out with this, 1, why would you run forced induction, and suck on a bottle? If he had big money he would have went forged internals (if not already) and ran more boost. 2, I trust you mean "beau coup" ;-) People make bad mistakes, and bad judgement of themselves, it doesn't in the least mean I can't handle the responsibility and power....
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
1, why would you run forced induction, and suck on a bottle? If he had big money he would have went forged internals (if not already) and ran more boost.
2, I trust you mean "beau coup" ;-) People make bad mistakes, and bad judgement of themselves, it doesn't in the least mean I can't handle the responsibility and power....
View Quote

Eh boss... i think you're missing the moral of the story here. If your michigan cops are lax, then its your gamble. But if you happen to run into an ATF feller or someone of similar Anality... you (and your friend) might be in prison instead of the Armed Forces.

However, I say if your folks are cool with getting it for, then go for it; i have plenty of friends who own pistols and are not 21, purchased through parents...

~Santi
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know whether you can legally OWN a pistol here in Georgia at 18, but you damn sure can't carry it anywhere til you're 21, and you can't purchase one at a store either.

If you're considering doing what the originator of this thread is planning---I refer you to the Staw Man notes posted here. That federal law is as applicable here in Georgia as it is anywhere else.
View Quote

Hell, ill just throw it in my glovebox [:D]

~Santi
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Eh boss... i think you're missing the moral of the story here. If your michigan cops are lax, then its your gamble. But if you happen to run into an ATF feller or someone of similar Anality... you (and your friend) might be in prison instead of the Armed Forces.

However, I say if your folks are cool with getting it for, then go for it; i have plenty of friends who own pistols and are not 21, purchased through parents...

~Santi
View Quote

I know, was just being an ass.

Thats how its looking at the moment also, there are a few other items on my wish list as well. I don't know whether to shoot for the Tactical instead of the FS .45. I also need to pick up some supplements and possibly my tattoo(s)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't want to get to lengthy with the post. He had his entire internals redone from the oil pan up. I've ran turbo and nos many of times. But that's besides the point. My point was not to say that you weren't responsible enough. I don't know you. It just sounded a little familiar is all. Take it for what ever you like. I've got a feel for your mind set and already know what your thinking, so I won't even waste either of our time. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I didn't want to get to lengthy with the post. He had his entire internals redone from the oil pan up. I've ran turbo and nos many of times. But that's besides the point. My point was not to say that you weren't responsible enough. I don't know you. It just sounded a little familiar is all. Take it for what ever you like. I've got a feel for your mind set and already know what your thinking, so I won't even waste either of our time. Good luck.
View Quote

I'm just curious what you think that I'm thinking?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Exactly what I would have been thinking when I was your age. "don't worry pops, I've got everything under control".

The way you handled sincere and constructive advise with sarcasm was not a display of you "being an ass", but really just you acting your age... a teenager. Nothing wrong with that. Rather than seeing what was being told, you address how it was told because it wasn't something you wanted to hear. It was exactly how I thought you would respond, but I did hold out hope that you wouldn't. Doesn't do much to solidify your claim of not being "some dumb kid".

Beleive me, I don't think anyone on here at "that age" ever felt that they were not "responsible enough". Kind of like how I couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to drive a real car at age 8, thinking there wasn't much to it. And how I thought I figured out what love was at 13.

Trust me, 10 years down the line when you begin seeing repeating trends with your friends and family and see someone at "that age" going down that familiar road, you will be singing this same song.

I'm just looking out is all. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into some lecture. I used to work at my old high school with alot of their "under priveledged" youth as an ex gang counselor. So it was just natural for me try and reach out to you.

Again, good luck lil' man.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Exactly what I would have been thinking when I was your age. "don't worry pops, I've got everything under control".

The way you handled sincere and constructive advise with sarcasm was not a display of you "being an ass", but really just you acting your age... a teenager. Nothing wrong with that. Rather than seeing what was being told, you address how it was told because it wasn't something you wanted to hear. It was exactly how I thought you would respond, but I did hold out hope that you wouldn't. Doesn't do much to solidify your claim of not being "some dumb kid".

Beleive me, I don't think anyone on here at "that age" ever felt that they were not "responsible enough". Kind of like how I couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to drive a real car at age 8, thinking there wasn't much to it. And how I thought I figured out what love was at 13.

Trust me, 10 years down the line when you begin seeing repeating trends with your friends and family and see someone at "that age" going down that familiar road, you will be singing this same song.

I'm just looking out is all. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into some lecture. I used to work at my old high school with alot of their "under priveledged" youth as an ex gang counselor. So it was just natural for me try and reach out to you.

Again, good luck lil' man.

View Quote

I've gotten my share of advice and lectures, and appreciate you taking the time to try and help. Just because some young people are irresponsible and stupid doesn't mean I am also. Granted I don't have the wisdom and experience of you old timers, but I don't think I'm doing too badly. It's in my nature for people to think wrong about me, I'm very sarcastic and "mean" at times, and often don't come off as I try to...
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Being "responsible" involves much more than not making mistakes; it involes taking wise advise from others who have more experience.  Your being closed off to anything not helping you get to where you think you want to get (i.e., "don't risk it", "get a high quality .22 as an investment in your technique", "don't get caught up in the "big bang" sensation", etc.) shows that your mind is already made up so.....

And lest you think me an "old timer", I'm 31, FWIW.

As for the choice of what to get....that's not something anybody but you can answer because the answers given are really answering the question of what WE would get if WE WERE YOU and, just as with shoes, nobody can tell you what fits the best.  You've listed many high-quality choices which would all serve you well but as it is a matter of personal preference based on how it feel in YOUR hand WE are not qualified to help YOU choose the best one for YOU.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top