Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/8/2003 7:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/8/2003 7:25:19 PM EDT by mrostov]
Isn't it kind of peculiar how all of these 'incidents' seem to follow a similar script, with the guy shooting himself when he's done.

----------------------
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/South/07/08/plant.shoot/index.html

Six dead in Mississippi factory shooting
Police: Gunman kills five co-workers, then self

Wednesday, July 9, 2003 Posted: 0103 GMT ( 9:03 AM HKT)

Authorities say Douglas Williams had worked at the plant since 1984.

MERIDIAN, Mississippi (CNN) -- A worker armed with a shotgun and a rifle went on a rampage at a Mississippi aircraft plant Tuesday morning, killing five co-workers and wounding eight others before killing himself, authorities said.

Lauderdale County Sheriff Billy Sollie said the gunman was Douglas Williams, 48, a worker at the Lockheed Martin plant on the northeast outskirts of Meridian, about 200 miles north of New Orleans.

He said Williams opened fire during an employee meeting about 10 a.m. Tuesday [11 a.m. EDT]. A company official said the gathering was a required annual business ethics course.

Williams then "went though the entire plant," Sollie said, shooting employees apparently at random.

"At first I thought it was something falling on the ground," plant worker Booker Steverson told The Associated Press. "Then I walked to the aisle and saw him aiming his gun. I took off. Everybody took off."

Sollie said Williams, who had worked at the plant since 1984, was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the torso.

The sheriff refused to guess at Williams' motive, but he addressed allegations from witnesses that the shootings were racially motivated.

Four of the dead were black, and two, including Williams, were white, Sollie said. Three of the wounded were black, and the five others were white, he said.

"If you look at the pattern of those who were killed and those who were injured, that would certainly weaken the rumor out there that this was racially motivated," the sheriff said. He also said it didn't appear that Williams had targeted management.

Williams' coworkers voiced differing opinions.

"[My wife] said he made a threat against black people," Bobby McCall told the AP. The husband of Lanette McCall, a black worker who was killed, also said, "Obviously, he was a sick guy. I wish somebody had given him some help before he done destroyed my life and my kids' life."

"He's had problems with white people, too," Austin Clark, who is white, told the AP. "I have no idea what set him off."

Suspect brought several weapons, used one

Williams entered the plant armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, which had an extended magazine, and a Mini-14 semiautomatic rifle, Sollie said. The state crime lab said Williams used only the shotgun.

A search of Williams' pickup truck yielded additional weapons, including a .22 Magnum, an automatic pistol and another Mini-14 semiautomatic rifle, Sollie said.

Williams was carrying a large amount of ammunition, Sollie said. When agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms searched Williams' house, they also "found a large quantity of ammunition," he said.

We pride ourselves on being the safest city in Mississippi with more than 30,000 people.
-- Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith

One of the two victims who underwent surgery Tuesday remains in critical condition, Sollie said. Three others were still in the hospital. The rest were treated and released, Sollie said.

Most of the 138 people in the factory at the time fled the building during the assault. Sheriff's deputies secured the building and brought many of them back inside for questioning, and several clergy members were there to console them, Sollie said.

Relatives gathered outside the plant for news of family members inside. One who received bad news was the Rev. John Willis, whose uncle, 27-year veteran employee Thomas Willis, was among the dead.

"My son called me and told me that he had heard that there was a shooting at Lockheed, and I came over to check and just make sure it wasn't my uncle," Willis said. "And, of course, he was one of them."

Williams was a resident of neighboring Clarke County, and the sheriff's department there was aiding the investigation, Sollie said. He said investigators were trying to find out Tuesday afternoon what prompted the shooting spree.

Williams had apparently never been arrested, the sheriff said.

"We're going to speak to each employee, find out his friends, his group of friends, and hopefully find out information from them," he said.

Williams' brother told CNN that the family was shocked and distraught at the news.

Plant temporarily closed

Lockheed Martin is one of the main employers in Meridian. The plant builds pieces of the C-130J Hercules transport and vertical stabilizers for the F-22 Raptor fighter.

The fatal shootings occurred at a Lockheed Martin aircraft parts plant.

The plant will remain closed until further notice, said Dain Hancock, president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, adding that the company will bring in a team and resources to help workers deal emotionally and financially with the incident.

"On behalf of Lockheed Martin and some 125,000 folks, we offer our heartfelt thanks, prayers, support for all of those involved -- those who have lost loved ones, those who have been injured, those in the community that have been affected," Hancock said.

Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith called the killings an "unspeakable tragedy."

"Nothing like this has ever happened here," Smith said. "We pride ourselves on being the safest city in Mississippi with more than 30,000 people.

"Our thoughts have to be to the families that are facing something that we can't begin to imagine. There's shock, there's horror and great, great grief."

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:26:07 PM EDT
..."At first I thought it was something falling on the ground," plant worker Booker Steverson told The Associated Press. "Then I walked to the aisle and saw him aiming his gun. I took off. Everybody took off." ...
View Quote
hmmm, I wonder why no one was able to take him out before he started/continued? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:28:18 PM EDT
[V]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:29:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mrostov: Williams was carrying a large amount of ammunition, Sollie said. When agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms searched Williams' house, they also "found a large quantity of ammunition," he said.
View Quote
What did they think they would find? A Smurf collection? I feel bad for the families, but this shooting is unique in that . . . oh, it's not unique.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:44:49 PM EDT
This is horrible for the famillies of those affected. I have to wonder if this is one of those states that do not allow individuals to be responsible for their own safety...or was it a corporate rule that barred individual rights? Very sad.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/8/2003 8:58:10 PM EDT by 62nd_Assassin]
incidents like this make me glad i work at a gun store instead of a "civilian" occupation that would force me to be unarmed. if this took place at Shooter's World, i could pretty much stand there with my hands in my pockets and know that this sick fuck would be dropped in 1.5 seconds (because i'm probably the worst shot there!). what does that say about "assault weapons bans," when you feel safest being surrounded by people who you know have all kinds of "evil" weapons at home? (*edited cuz i'm a stickler for proper punctuation...*)
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:47:04 PM EDT
I have to wonder if this is one of those states that do not allow individuals to be responsible for their own safety...or was it a corporate rule that barred individual rights? Mississippi is a CCH permit state, but most workplaces like this ban any weapons even in your car. Effectively disarming everyonbe but the bad guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:15:42 PM EDT
another great argument for CCW
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:05:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin: incidents like this make me glad i work at a gun store instead of a "civilian" occupation that would force me to be unarmed. if this took place at Shooter's World, i could pretty much stand there with my hands in my pockets and know that this sick fuck would be dropped in 1.5 seconds (because i'm probably the worst shot there!). what does that say about "assault weapons bans," when you feel safest being surrounded by people who you know have all kinds of "evil" weapons at home? (*edited cuz i'm a stickler for proper punctuation...*)
View Quote
There was a Darwin Award for that one year. Wrong Time, Wrong Place 1990 Darwin Award Nominee Confirmed True by Darwin 3 February 1990, Washington A man tried to commit a robbery in Renton, WA. This was probably his first attempt, as suggested by the fact that he had no previous record of violent crime, and by his terminally stupid choices as listed below: 1. The target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop. 2. The shop was full of customers, in a state where a substantial portion of the adult population is licensed to carry concealed handguns in public places. 3. To enter the shop, he had to step around a marked Police patrol car parked at the front door. 4. An officer in uniform was standing next to the counter, having coffee before reporting to duty. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a holdup and fired a few wild shots. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, removing him from the gene pool. Several other customers also drew their guns, but didn't fire. No one else was hurt
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:13:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2003 5:15:04 AM EDT by Gunslinger808]
Yes, it is a great media coup for the gun control crowd. If they spin it the way they like to, todays headlines will read: HATE CRIME MACHINE GUN MASSACRE!!! Edited to add: It is truly a tragedy that this happened. Prayers for the families and victims.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:16:40 AM EDT
ha, what an idiot
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:42:32 AM EDT
From all accounts, the Mini-14 wasn't even fired during the shootings. It was all shotgun - which from a practical standpoint makes sense. I just hope it isn't like the Hungerford situation that banned semiautomatic rifles in England. Guy goes on a rampage with AK and shotgun, kills one person with the AK (which jammed) and goes on to kill a bunch with the shotgun. England's solution? Ban rifles. Even in England the grabbers are still scared to try and ban shotguns, it sure as hell won't happen here in the U.S. - so this really doesn't give the grabbers much traction (Also noted that the Sheriff investigating only mentioned the shotgun during his press conference - maybe someone sympathetic to gun ownership?)
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:00:41 AM EDT
Thank God he didn't use the .22 Magnum. That one sounds real scary.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:58:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mrostov: Isn't it kind of peculiar how all of these 'incidents' seem to follow a similar script, with the guy shooting himself when he's done.
View Quote
When I heard about this at dinner last night the first question I asked was, "Did he end up killing himself?" I wasn't surprised in the least to hear that he did.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:11:38 AM EDT
I find it sad that the mere posession of "large quantities of ammunition" itself is shown in a negative light. Does this put me in the same boat as this nutcse, since I too own "large quantities of ammunition" ? Would it make people feel better if he only owned 50 bullets but still killed the same number of people ? The obvious implication is "large quantities of ammunition" == nutcase.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:28:56 AM EDT
It's kind of weird that some of you folks want to be armed at work and think that's [i]EVER[/i] going to happen in most careers! Can you imagine the management issues, especially employee discipline, if the person you're dressing down is potentially armed? I'm sorry, but in button-down corporate America that situation would be absolutely intolerable. So we either carry against policy or hope for the best I guess...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:08:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2003 9:09:58 AM EDT by Fearandloathing37]
I don't know that all the employee's should have been running around with CCW guns tucked under their clothing, But in this post 9-11 world, the idea that a major arms contractor to the U.S. military, did not have an armed and well trained REAL security force on site is unforgivable. The button down suits prohibiting CCW is one thing. The button down suits hiring grandpa Jones the ex-alchoholic, paying him $6.00 an hour, giving him a cheap uniform shirt and a can of mace and calling it plant security to cut costs and then sticking the money saved on their new Denali payment is quite anouther thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:17:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By -Absolut-: another great argument for CCW
View Quote
So true, when will people wake up to the fact that you cant stop a psycho from doing what they will.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:12:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By criley:
Originally Posted By mrostov: Isn't it kind of peculiar how all of these 'incidents' seem to follow a similar script, with the guy shooting himself when he's done.
View Quote
When I heard about this at dinner last night the first question I asked was, "Did he end up killing himself?" I wasn't surprised in the least to hear that he did.
View Quote
My first question was, "prozac or xanax?" No answer so far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:30:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fearandloathing37: ...The button down suits hiring grandpa Jones the ex-alchoholic, paying him $6.00 an hour, giving him a cheap uniform shirt and a can of mace and calling it plant security to cut costs and then sticking the money saved on their new Denali payment is quite anouther thing.
View Quote
Ahhh...but someone's got to sail away (while the rest are stranded) on those golden parachutes!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:57:07 PM EDT
[b]Hey ! You might be on to Something! But on the other hand......... [img]http://www.3dsite.com/people/erco/gifs/oswald.jpg[/img] Reality.. [img]http://www.aznet.net/~lloyd/images/sg.gif[/img] is [img]http://www.hanabatake.com/obsessions/x-files/images/gilliandavid.jpg[/img] What you make of it[/b] [BD]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:03:42 PM EDT
"large quantity of ammunition" bah, to a anti or a non owner, my 500rds that came from the man in brown could be considered "large quantity"
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:11:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mrostov: armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, which had an extended magazine
View Quote
CNN just had to throw that in there. I guess "Assault Shotguns" are next on the list...
Top Top