Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 8:10:29 PM EDT
I've read hundreds of reports of CLP use, and the overwhelming majority of satisfied users. However, I have also read, recently and in the past, that moisture or liquid on the bolt carrier/bolt attracts dirt and dust like a mo-fo.

So.... Has anyone tried running their AR WITHOUT any lubricant? What would be the positive and negative ( aside from upper reciever wear ) of donig this?

And while I'm at it, I have another question. I have heard about the M4 ramp cuts, and numerous folk claim it decreases FTFs dramatically. However, everyone who has done this uses a 14.5-16" AR-15. Would this improve reliability in 20" models???
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:34:01 PM EDT
I was out at the quarry I shoot at and ran into a guy with a new AR. He wasn't havin' fun and after I showed him how to clear a jam I asked him to open his rife up. It was dry as a bone. I showed him what CLP was for and for the rest of the day he had no more problems.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:44:35 PM EDT
Any oil will atract grit or fine sand like in the gulf,but if you keep the dustcover closed a muzzle cap on the rifle and mag in the magwell and check or clean weapon 2 or 3 times a day in that environment I would think it would function fine like in the last gulf war,maintenence is the key especialy for a weapon you stake your life on,ive been using clp for 10 years in the cold,rain and cold rain of the northeast ive never had a problem and I also maintain my rifle well,id like to know the maintenece habit of soldiers whos weapons have failed,seals are always wet and I dont here them or other socom soldiers having weapons failure do to clp,of course those soldiers shoot alot more than others and operate in all extreme environments,as far as the ramp cuts ive never had failures to feed related to not having the ramps always a bad mag and ive pulled back on the mag while shootin to make it dip forward to try to induce a failure that others said can happen when this is done and I cant make it happen in my pre or post ban bushy carbines.As far as clp it lubricates well and cleans well,if all soldiers and marines were having these failures with clp im sure it wouldnt be used,it boils down to knowing the stregnths and weaknesses of how to maintain the weapon in different environments,ive exposed my rifle to extreme cold,rain and hot weather and have never had a problem with clp.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:29:07 PM EDT
Erm.... I guess no lube ain't so reccomended, huh? What kinda problems was that new AR shooter having? Also, regarding the ramp cuts, are there any places out there that do them for 20" barrel rifles in the first place???
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 9:55:50 PM EDT by headpulper]
There is an alternative to wet lubes that doesn't mean no lube .... dry lube. I use this stuff ... [url]http://www.miller-stephenson.com/release_001.htm[/url] though there are others like militech [url]http://www.militec-1.com/[/url] these provide lubrication w/o the dirt sticking to it. In fact, they make cleanup a breeze. After using dry lube, I wondered why this isn't more common knowledge (wet lubes just don't cut it). As for the feed ramps, the barrel extension is the determining factor there. Usually those feed ramps are found on barrel extensions for the M4 (or similar carbine barrels). These ramps extend into a portion of the upper rec. Whether they help or not (in semi), I can't tell since my 20" dosen't have any probs w/o them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:03:10 AM EDT
Actually, CLP works fine in most cases as long as you don't bathe the bolt carrier in it. Apply it to the four rails of the bolt carrier, the bolt and the cam pin. If you have to go with a Dri-Lube, I've had good luck with Remington Dri-Lube. Rather than a complicated application process, you just spray this on the parts you want lubricated and let it dry. Keep in mind though that most dry lubes do a horrible job at corrosion prevention, so only use them in areas that are very dry (like the desert). Anywhere else and you are going to see rust.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:05:09 AM EDT
If you gun operates dont cut the feed rams no need to ...... if it aint broke dont fix it .... i wouldnt run my boltcarrier dry but if your that concerned use a DRY LUBE mister... i have an M4 upper Obviously with the cuts and i have never had one failure to date but all i use is Q3131a sothere u have it
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:50:19 AM EDT
I've been using dry lube for years in my .22's and as of last year in my AR's as well. My AR-10 was gunking up badly when I shot surplus ammo through it when it was lubed with LSA or CLP. With dry lube, it stays much cleaner and problem free. My AR-15's also stay much cleaner even when I use the dreaded Wolf ammo in them. I'm using the Remington dry lube but can't always find it so I also use the stuff Elmer's make. You can always find it at ACE Hardware.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:05:35 AM EDT
Dry lube... I'm going to look into this... THanks guys!
Top Top