Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/6/2003 9:07:47 AM EDT
My daughter and I travel to rodeos often late at night on back roads. Is it legal to have a loaded gun in the truck in Kansas?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2003 9:24:35 AM EDT by Miranthis]
That is a 'loaded' question. [:)] Technically KS is an open carry state, [i]but[/i] most municipalities have outlawed open carry, loaded, readily accessibly firearms in passenger compartment, etc. by Home Rule ordinance. To be safe, unless I know the area, the law and the demeanor of the local LEO I leave it in the trunk. [:(]. Wish I had better news. Ask over in t he legal forum for more info. Jeff D.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:06:11 AM EDT
From [url]http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/kansas[/url]:
[b]Wichita City Ordinances: Section 5.88.010 Unlawful use of weapons. (1) Unlawful use of a weapon is knowingly: . . . . . (f) Carrying in any vehicle under one's immediate control, any loaded firearm, except when on one's land or in one's abode or fixed place of business;[/b]
View Quote
BTW, this is for Wichita, KS. There were no other cities on the page.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
Re: packing.org's Wichita's ordinance prohibiting 'loaded' guns within reach. Maybe an unloaded one would be legal. An unloaded gun in the hand is generally worth more than 2 in the trunk.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:44:26 AM EDT
Yes, for the most part. You might go to your local County law library and read up on gun laws. It is usually in the county courthouse. Could you be more specific on where you are going to rodeos? In the rural part of GOD's country, most would think you are odd if you dont have a gun. GRIN Stay out of the big cities. Wichita, Topeka, Metro KC, Junction City/geary co/Fort Riley etc. Kind of ironic that the towns with the greatest gun violence have the biggest gang problem and the strictist gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:05:06 AM EDT
The rodeos are usually in smaller towns. The girls might be on two lane road for several hours each way. Last week thay didn't get home till 2 am. I've been a gun nut all my life. It just occurred to me that this is the situation that guns were invented for, and it might actually be illegal for my wife to have one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:10:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 11:36:52 AM EDT by kels]
Sent you a IM
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:11:01 PM EDT
I am from Lawrence, Kansas. In Lawrence, you can have a loaded pistol, rifle, etc. in the seat beside you, but it must not be concealed (Can't be holstered or in glove box, or under the seat). I got this information directly from local law enforcement. However, other cities vary. I think in larger cities such as Wichita, or KC, the rifle/pistol cannot be loaded or the ammo has to be in the trunk. With the police mentality, I wouldn't want to chance losing my guns to law enforcement for unlawful carry. I think you would have to check county by county, or city by city to be sure.
Top Top