Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2003 8:24:29 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster XM15 ES2 A2, with a 20" fluted HBAR... I've shot it about a month, and am happy with it's accuracy, and it's been 100%reliable... The problem is, the rear sight has to be set 16 to 17 clicks to the right in order to be zero'ed - this is not good!!! I called Bushmaster, and they said - "no problem, send it in, and we'll re-index the barrel" - they were real nice about everything... I have to admit, though - I'm a little nervous about sending in an upper that's shooting good, except for this sighting discreptancy... My questions are, has anyone else experienced this sort of problem, and will it be easy for them to fix??? Is there ANY way whatsoever, that my rifle might not shoot as well after this "fix"??? If in my position, would you send it in, or just live with this sighting "quirk"???... They're doing this work under warranty, and promise a 5 to 7 day turnaround(worst case scenario, BTW), so although it'll suck to be without my newest most favorite rifle, it isn't the end of the world... So, whattaya think???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is something that bothers you, send it... I sent one of my uppers back to them to fix a rear sight problem..Fixed straight away. No problems or worries, Before you know it, its back and you are shootin again..  John

BTW, my problem was cosmetic. Damn thing was purple. You would think my cosmetic issue would be kind of a low priority fix. But 4 days after they recieved I got an email W/ UPS tracking #.From them. Cust svc is top notch with those guys IMO..
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My Bushmaster was the same way. I contacted Bushmaster and they said the same to me. I sent the upper back and about 2 weeks later it was back home. The rear sight problem was fixed with it being perfectly centered and ran just as good as befor except I didn't have to readjust my head every time. I would recommend sending it back to Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster has great customer service.  That being said, you probably just need the barrel reindexed.  Basically that means you take off the barrel and put it back on again.  With the proper tools, you can do it, or if you have a local smith, they can do it and have it back to you that quickly, but if you want it fixed for free, then send it to Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The function over form guys will tell you as long as it's sighted in, it's all good.  And I do agree... function is everything...

But if it were my rifle I'd send it back to Bushy, just because it would annoy me to see the rear sight so far to the right when I know the fix is an easy one...
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, gents... I'm sorta a "function type" of guy myself, and it DOES shoot well, so that's the only reason why I'm hesitating in the least about sending it in... That said, I don't care for having the sight that far to one side - it really won't allow me as much windage adjustment to the right as I might want for shooting long distances in a crosswind... Is the barrel completely removed, then re-installed to be re-indexed??? I thought they loosened the barrel nut, then "open up" the indexing hole slightly, install a different indexing pin, then re-torque the barrel nut... Bushmaster said they didn't want me to include my bolt/boltcarrier, so I assume there's no risk of changing headspacing by performing this operation??? As for doing it myself, while it's still under warranty, I'd rather have them do it instead... besides, the cost of shipping it to them is tiny compared to tooling up to do the job properly myself... If I was planning on building my own AR's, Id probably go that route, though - it doesn't sound all that complicated... Anyways, thanks again for the replies - this place is an UNBELIEVEABLE source of info for the AR owner - as a new member, I'm finding myself spending ALOT of time here... I'll be sure to let you know how I make out after sending it in to Bushmaster - more than likely, it's going out 1st thing tomorrow...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If it bothers you, send it in. Have Bushmaster do the work and be done with it.

You'll be glad in the end that you did.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top