Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 3:56:24 PM EDT
It is an AR-15 Post ban Match Hbar Flattop with a Smith Brake. 20" 1/7 HB w/ Removeable carry Handle. New condition.

Needs:
1) I want to accurize it.
2) I have a custom dual laser IR and Red that I need to mount to it. (A bit better laser system than my PAQ-4C)

I am sure I need to free float it and that I will need at least one additional rail mount for the laser. (Whats systems are the best bang for the buck? Any one piece Aluminum ones that Have 4 rails?)

I usually shoot M1A and had them done by the best like SS Obermeier.

This AR is simply for Varmints and "Night" Varmints so I will accurize it myself.

Asside from a buffertech and accuwedge, freefloating and a trigger Job like Jewell, JP or Milazzo-Krieger ... what else do I do to tune this puppy?

What is the best handguard for free floating?

I'm considering also putting a 4 rail gas block on ... whats the best?

I really want a clean simple rifle easy sling set-up and basically asside from a bipod attaching place only two very small additional rail mounts for flashlight and IR.

Any suggestions that will keep me clean lean and mean and from making a "space gun" that will rattle every screw and have junk hanging off it?

George (M1A Simpleton)
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
GRS44,
you mention you've used the best in the past.  I would advise you to contact Wes Grant at mstn.biz.

Must be an interesting laser you have there.  I believe the PAQ-4C is an IR targeting devise is it not ??
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent ... thanks!

Links are helpfull.

The Infrared system I have now is brighter far smaller and better than the PAQ-4C laser system ... plus It has a daytime red laser bright to 25 yards that I can select as a cqb assault or lowlight conditions.

Very fun item.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I may be wrong, but be careful with accuwedge's....i hear they increase rather than decrease wear...
ARs are supposed to have a little play between the upper and lower recievers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Accuwedge is stupid it pushes the upper/lower fit apart does not bring them tight together. I like the Hogue Free Float tube. If you like the military hadguard look you can buy a DCM freefloat kit. I like JP single stage trigger, Buffer Tech pointless it's just a replacement buffer for one that is already there. 1/7 twist means you will want to shoot the Sierra 77gr bullets. Handloads mandatory.

Avoid the 1 piece handguards. If you happen not to get lucy to have the gas tube hole line up you will need a lathe to index the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the previous reply - hand load is a must.  Free float tube and a nice aftermarket trigger are pre-requisites for accuracy.  I personally like the JP 2-piece tube, but it does not have all the rails that you're looking for.  The best bang-for-the buck tube with rails is probably Oly Arms unit.  If you want absolute tigh lockup between upper and lower, get the JP Rear Tensioning Pin, but then again, like the accuwedge, this device does not improve accuracy, only improve the feel of the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone .... very helpful advice.

Geo

Please post links too for the stuff you recommend.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top