Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 4:50:45 AM EDT
I am new to high power shooting and right now all I have is a Garand. From my experience shooting the Garand from a bench, it is capable of staying in the 10 ring. It will shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. But I am not capable in competition of doing that well. I want to buy a Rock River DCM AR15, but because I am not that good a shot, will I see much improvement in my scores? In other words, what good is a one minute rifle if it is in the hands of a four minute shooter? I appreciate all replies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:11:53 AM EDT
A 1 MOA rifle in the hands of a 4 MOA shooter is a 4 MOA rifle. Practice, practice, practice. Shabo
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:50:55 AM EDT
Perhaps the lower recoil & cost of .223 will allow you to practice more, enjoy it more, flinch less, etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:05:09 AM EDT
There are so many variables its hard to say what you should do. But, if you are serious about DCM competition, forget the garand or M14/M1A. Every competitive shooter uses an AR15. Unless your Garand is a NM version I would suggest the AR. The sights will be better, recoil less (you might be flinching more than you think) and it might just fit your body better. I have the RRA DCM rifle and love it. In the clinic I took for DCM shooting I was consistantly in the 9-10 ring both prone and seated my first try. (Offhand is another story). Impressive for a newbie. I doubt I could have done that with a Garand. If you are serious and can afford it - buy it. And get a TOP quality sling as well. These make a huge difference in position shooting. Lastly, as said above - practice, practice, practice. Then go practice some more,
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:48:00 AM EDT
Top Top