Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 5:08:31 AM EDT
What is the difference between a muzzlebreak and a compensator. On the new Colt website, it features the M16 with a compensator.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:53:43 AM EDT
The military calls the A2's birdcage flash suppressor a 'compensator' because it also helps reduce muzzle rise. The BATF says its a flash supressor so its a no-no on post ban rifles. Muzzle Brakes are devices that are used to reduce RECOIL in a rifle. They also have a tendancy to increase the muzzle blast (particularly to the sides) and flash. Compensators are devices that reduce muzzle climb. They help keep the rifle on target during a rapid fire string (or in the M16s case on burst or full-auto). Now there are combination devices for example most post ban 'Muzzle Brakes' are actually a combination Muzzle Brake & Compensator. And as noted above the A2 Bird Cage is a combination Flash Supressor & Compensator. Note for Muzzle Brakes or Compensators to be post ban legal they must not reduce the flash nor can they be 22mm +/-1 in diameter (to prevent usage as a grenade launcher).
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:33:05 AM EDT
...and it's b-r-a-k-e not b-r-e-a-k. I'm surprised you got away this long without someone scolding you. My very first post I made that mistake and I was blasted [:D]
Top Top