AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:09:03 AM EDT
Has anyone messed with this yet?

www.ar47.com

Like it, dislike it?

What ya think?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone trots this thing out here every week or so and then it disappears for a week or so only to reappear...................
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it. Their receiver is $325.
You can order a brand new, unissued Romanian AK47 or AK74 in 5.56mm or 7.62X39 for $319 to $389 at many online stores. Why would you pay $325 for just a receiver. I suppose being able to use cheaper mags might add up depending on how many you need.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can order a brand new, unissued Romanian AK47 or AK74 in 5.56mm or 7.62X39 for $319 to $389 at many online stores. Why would you pay $325 for just a receiver. I suppose being able to use cheaper mags might add up depending on how many you need.
View Quote

You just dont get it. Thats all. When you make money and can buy a car that is all engine and holds only two people. Maybe you will.
Its not the price but the fact you have one.

I am 4 microns away from doing this project but I cant find a complete colt upper.
GG
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

You just dont get it. Thats all. When you make money and can buy a car that is all engine and holds only two people. Maybe you will.

I am 4 microns away from doing this project but I cant find a complete colt upper.
GG
View Quote

DPMS makes 7.62x39 uppers for $529.95 in both preban and postban versions.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
[puke]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

GG
View Quote

GG

Would love to hear your report when you finally get to do it.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope they make it with a stamped steel receiver and parts interchangable with an AK47. Better yet, make it look like an AK47!  Then I'll buy one.

ls
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting option, but i believe consensus was that the AR system doesn't agree with dirty surplus 7.62x39mm ammo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 7.62 colt AR and it runs like a champ with the ONE USA frankenmag & wolf ammo. Its a preban that I wont destroy for the project.
GG

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't want to post this but after reading about how terrible an idea it is I have to chime in. I have one(ar47). So far it works great. I haven't really got to put it through a complete workout but so far so good. I am so confident it will continue to work well I am selling all my frankenmags(see ad in AR mags for sale) I LIKE IT. I like shooting the 762x39 from an AR. Have questions, fire away.

Edited to say I have no connection,business,personal or otherwise with the maker of these. Saw it at Knob Creek and decided I wanted one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't want to post this but after reading about how terrible an idea it is I have to chime in. I have one(ar47). So far it works great. I haven't really got to put it through a complete workout but so far so good. I am so confident it will continue to work well I am selling all my frankenmags(see ad in AR mags for sale) I LIKE IT. I like shooting the 762x39 from an AR. Have questions, fire away.

Edited to say I have no connection,business,personal or otherwise with the maker of these. Saw it at Knob Creek and decided I wanted one.
View Quote

Show me pictures. How is it configured? How many rounds have yopu fired? Parts manufacturers? Im really wanting to hear alot more since you have already done it. Im thinking if I can find a dissy upper it would be great. Went to DPMS last nite and couldnt locate what I am wanting. Im still searching for a colt.
GG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone trots this thing out here every week or so and then it disappears for a week or so only to reappear...................
View Quote

So what is your point? Oh, sorry, thats how you get 8 thousand some odd posts, By just typing usless $hit
GG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Why anybody would get/build an AR system chambered to fire 7.62x39 is beyond me--IMHO with the totally out of place and fugly curvaceous mag protruding out the mag well.[puke]

Well to each his own I guess.
Ya'lls money.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Since when was having options a bad thing??

If it weren't cobbled up by the Toad gang, I would buy one. I've never been burnt on a dealing, but I've been brainraped by reading his posts. I consider that reason enough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
First, it's not a beauty contest, it's a FUN thing. I didn't ask my wife though as she might disagree. I would try to post some pics tomorrow.
I am using a KKF dissy barrel with a DPMS low pro receiver. Bought it used off of the board.I went with that because it has the thickest walls of any upper receiver and after you do the mods there is not much left. I would not use a Colt or other normal upper for that reason. This is just my personal opinion as there is no(I think) pressure applied to the part that is modified(under the ejection port door) I have only run about 40 rds through it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
First, it's not a beauty contest, it's a FUN thing. I didn't ask my wife though as she might disagree. I would try to post some pics tomorrow.
I am using a KKF dissy barrel with a DPMS low pro receiver. Bought it used off of the board.I went with that because it has the thickest walls of any upper receiver and after you do the mods there is not much left. I would not use a Colt or other normal upper for that reason. This is just my personal opinion as there is no(I think) pressure applied to the part that is modified(under the ejection port door) I have only run about 40 rds through it.
View Quote

marauder - Great, would love to see pic's.

The folks above are correct, it's another option.

Plus, yea, you pay extra for the lower reciever and you have to have them smith work the upper and b/bc.  But, you have an option that takes cheap ammo, and cheap hi cap mags.  Plus it's still an AR.

Again, it's just an option for our black rifle fever.  Just like the A1,A2,A3, and A4 configs.  Plus Armalite makes the AR10T for 308/7.62, and it's a pretty penny.

IMHO - Happy 4th Of July everyone. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Show me pictures. How is it configured? How many rounds have yopu fired? Parts manufacturers? Im really wanting to hear alot more since you have already done it. Im thinking if I can find a dissy upper it would be great. Went to DPMS last nite and couldnt locate what I am wanting. Im still searching for a colt.
GG
View Quote

What were you looking for, a flattop?  DPMS will do a custom configuration but you may have to wait a few months.  The few Colt 7.62x39 uppers that I have seen floating aroung have been going for ridiculously high prices.  Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a link. It is a Toad Special Ed Weapons project.

[url]http://www.tactical-weapons.com/Intropage.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I picked up the first completed AR47 from Todd the other day. I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend to put it through it's pace's. For those of you who are in the Phx AZ area, I'll be out at Ben Avery's on Saturday after 9am with the AR47 and a few of my other guns. Come on out and give it a test fire for yourself! It would be great to meet some of the local members!

I'll be the guy with the AR47!
Bring your own ammo!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, someone actually willing to buy something from Special Ed Weapons! Brave soul! I hate throwing money away on paperweights.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not going to make any judgements until I put a few hundred rounds through it.  It looks like a really well built rifle, I just bought a case of Wolf so we'll see how it runs, I don't think it will have any problems, except that I have noticed that Wolf tends to be really dirty ammo, hope it doesn't foul up the gas tube or anything.

I've got a few of the SW series rifles and have been very happy with them, no problems with any ammo that I have used, I have heard some problems with the older cast receivers, but haven't heard any problems with the new stuff.
The SW rifles shoot just as well as my real HKs and I don't have to worry about messin up my safe queens.

Before you knock something, at least try it!  I'm headed out for the range tomorrow, so come on out and shoot mine, just bring your own ammo! hehehehe  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Vipez I don't think you will be disappointed.
How is your rifle configured? So far with mine I have had no problems but at this point I have shot less the 100rds. For you others, I have friends that are in the aerospace business and they thought the lower was well made.
PS If anyone here can post pics I would gladly send some pics of mine to you to post.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what is your point? Oh, sorry, thats how you get 8 thousand some odd posts, By just typing usless $hit
GG
View Quote

I don't believe it necessary to have a point and certainly I have to prove no point to you GG.  [b]You have a problem with me then take it up with one of the Mods that manage this forum as I have no time for you.  You might also learn to spell and failing that learn to use the spell checker.[/b]  (Let's see is that 9085 or..............??)
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Todd/Vipez, did the lower work?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Hello All!

Well I went out and popped off about 700 rounds of Wolf JHPs today through the AR47. The rifle is a really solid gun, very well balanced. The AK mag is a little longer than the AR mags so it takes a little getting used to holding the forearm a little further forward.

Once I was able to sight in the rifle, accuracy was great, I was shooting between 25 and 50 yards. I am in no means a great rifle shooter, but I was making about 2 inch groups, I'm sure the rifle is much more accurate than I am!!

The rifle did have a few FTFs but not a single FTEs; at first I thought there was something wrong with the way the rifle feeds, however after talking to a few of the range guys, we started to suspect the surplus AK mag. The spring wasn't pushing up the rounds fast enough or something, I took the mag apart and stretched out the spring and it started shooting fine. I only had the one mag, I tried looking for someone at the range who had one but no such luck. Once the spring started to wear down, the FTFs started again. I am also wondering if the JHPs had something to do with the FTFs. I will have to try some normal round nose rounds.

The forearm does tend to heat up a bit faster than my M4 when running as fast as you can pull the trigger. I had a couple of people show up to pull the trigger, most people who shot it didn't think it was too bad of a rifle, recoil is mild, the noise isn't that bad either.

I'm going to track down some new or fairly new AK mags and try it again. I think I might check around for a stronger buffer spring too. Hopefully next time I'll get to meet a few board members. I still have another 250-400 rounds left to squeeze off. I had to stop at 700 or so because I got tired of loading the one mag.

I'm happy with the rifle, it performed well, now comes the part I hate, cleaning my guns....
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's strange, it's pretty rare for an AK mag to cause feeding problems.

Well keep working at it and we are eagerly awaiting your 7th post, which will again be telling us about the wonders of the Speshul Weapuns AR47![party]
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Uh....uh....he said toad.....
[rofl2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's strange, it's pretty rare for an AK mag to cause feeding problems.

Well keep working at it and we are eagerly awaiting your 7th post, which will again be telling us about the wonders of the Speshul Weapuns AR47![party]
View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I am not Todd,don't know Todd(although I did talk to him on the phone). You guys can say what you will, mine works and works well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why anybody would get/build an AR system chambered to fire 7.62x39 is beyond me--IMHO with the totally out of place and fugly curvaceous mag protruding out the mag well.[puke]
View Quote

How about an AR74 then.  Same idea but even more fugly with the red/brown bakelite mags?  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How about an AR74 then.  Same idea but even more fugly with the red/brown bakelite mags?  
View Quote

Better yet, how about an AR in .223 that takes SAR3 mags!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interesting option, but i believe consensus was that the AR system doesn't agree with dirty surplus 7.62x39mm ammo.
View Quote

Really? I'd bet the AR system would function better with dirty surplus 7.62x39 ammo than with dirty surplus 5.56x45 ammo. I've actually found my 7.62x39 ARs to be quite reliable, even moreso with foreign military surplus type ammunition which is loaded hotter than most of the commercial stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why anybody would get/build an AR system chambered to fire 7.62x39 is beyond me--IMHO with the totally out of place and fugly curvaceous mag protruding out the mag well
View Quote

Yeah, why [i]would[/b] anybody want an AR that fired the world's cheapest and most abundant ammunition, has more close range energy, and is a legal deer hunting caliber? That would really suck!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why anybody would get/build an AR system chambered to fire 7.62x39 is beyond me--IMHO with the totally out of place and fugly curvaceous mag protruding out the mag well
View Quote

Yeah, why [i]would[/b] anybody want an AR that fired the world's cheapest and most abundant ammunition, has more close range energy, and is a legal deer hunting caliber? That would really suck!
View Quote

From my purely personal perspective, I guess because I can buy an SAR-1 in the same caliber for roughly $300 and either shoot it stock or spend maybe another $300 and upgrade the trigger, furniture, muzzle brake, etc., and still only have about $600 in the package.

(And I would know who DIDN'T make it !!)

Understand my solution may not fit everyone.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#36]
You guys talking about how dirty the 762x39 is gave me an idea to add to my cleaning regime(which almost never happens). I will use the red tube that comes with gunscrubber and shoot some down the gas tube from the receiver end of the tube. Can't hurt I guess.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
From my purely personal perspective, I guess because I can buy an SAR-1 in the same caliber for roughly $300 and either shoot it stock or spend maybe another $300 and upgrade the trigger, furniture, muzzle brake, etc., and still only have about $600 in the package.

(And I would know who DIDN'T make it !!)

Understand my solution may not fit everyone.
View Quote

True, and I would agree that this is the more cost effective route for a bullet hose. But from my perspective, you still won't have the ergonomics, accuracy, far wider range of optics and various accessories, and the familiarity of the AR system.

I have a couple of MAK-90s as well and appreciate their relatively rugged, simple, and inexpenesive nature. But after getting into a couple of Colt 7.62x39 ARs for no other reason than opportunity banging on my door, those AKs just never get taken out any more. The ARs have turned out be just so much more fun, pleasant, and accurate to shoot.

Also, if someone already has a Class 3 registered lower receiver, DIAS, or LL, the 7.62x39 upper is a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy a different caliber of fun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#39]
The only parts modified are the upper receiver and bolt carrier. It leaves the walls of the upper pretty thin in the area under the ejection port. I actually bought a DPMS lo pro upper and had them machine that. It is probably twice as thick as any upper out there. After the mods it is about as thick as a normal upper. Granted there is no pressures there it just made me feel better. I also cut the brass delector off of a defective A2 upper and attached it to the lo pro because I'm a lefty. Turned out looking not to bad in my not to humble opinion. On the carrier they basically widen the groves on the bottom so they will not rub on the ears of the ak mag.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I like it! Is the AR-47 CA legal sans pistol grip?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#42]
[>:/] I think you would never get a straight answer from the caldoj...
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Special Weapons did the work. I got the lower from Michaels Machines.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top