Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 5:43:06 PM EDT
Well i went ahead and decided toget my first rifle and it is going to be a 20" bushy a3. I will one day spend the money and get a good scope for it but untill then i amconsidering a red dot sight. aim surplus has one for $25, is it worth the money. I dont plan on shooting any great distnace with it at first just want to have some fun with it. here is the link:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Accessories.html

Also what do you guys use toload the mags with? aim surplus also has the LULAfor 20 dollars,are they worth it is should i get something better. I have seen the strips but can someoneplease give me a link that explains how they work.

thanks
JAMES
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
the LULA is a great gadget.  i just bought one the other day.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't put too much crap on it. A regular type of scope or red dot device will be a great add-on.

I use primarily Leupold scopes. Some of the Nikon and Bushnell Elites are good. As are some others.

Aimpoint makes a good red dot scope(Comp M2/ML2). It'll cost you $300 though. The red dots are great for plinkin or night use. Fast acquisition. You can get some cheaper ones that work well too but aren't as rugged.

You can buy cheap optics but if you ever try the good stuff, you'll throw all the other away.

Have fun with your new rifle. Just don't put too much crap on it. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't put too much crap on it. A regular type of scope or red dot device will be a great add-on.

I use primarily Leupold scopes. Some of the Nikon and Bushnell Elites are good. As are some others.

Aimpoint makes a good red dot scope(Comp M2/ML2). It'll cost you $300 though. The red dots are great for plinkin or night use. Fast acquisition. You can get some cheaper ones that work well too but aren't as rugged.

You can buy cheap optics but if you ever try the good stuff, you'll throw all the other away.

Have fun with your new rifle. Just don't put too much crap on it. [;)]
View Quote

Retrodog is a wise man.
Ditto to all he said.
Have a good time with your new rifle(and the next one).
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
nope i am just going to add optics thats all. does anyone have any links to where i can find cheaper ones, or should i just get the one for $25 dollars at aim surplus. as far as the next one i dont see that happening for a while lol.

thanks
james
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a BSA brand red dot, 30mm, should run you no more than $40.  People have had good luck with the BSA, but rotten luck with the Simmons and Bushnell brands.  For cheap stick to BSA.  Another option is a Kobra weaver base model for around $125 or less.  That is a rugged sight that should last a good long time.  I saw one in the Equipment Exchange last night for around $110.  Might still be available.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=171756[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Retrodog hit the nail on the head.  You do need some "toys" though.  I would recommend starting with the following:  A simple sling,  quality cleaning gear, ammo, mags.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Or instead of/or just a cheap red dot, you could get an Arms 40.  you will not throw it away when you can afford a good red dot.  I was looking at the same situation, and decided, why get a carry handle, when you can get a arms 40, they are about the same price and do the same job, just the arms is much better.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top