Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2003 7:35:48 AM EDT
guys what kind of targets can i set out to shoot at ? i am getting bored shooting at paper. want something that i can tell that i am hitting at 100 to 200 yards. was thinking maybe a cement block or something. i want something that i can tell i hit with out looking through spotting scope every time or walking to it. any ideas ? thanks. marty
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:37:46 AM EDT
Heavy & Hardened steel is nice. Makes a nice 'Ting' when hit. Costs around $70 per target (plus you'll need stand). I also like Balloons - reactive when hit and if there is a breeze they tend to move around.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 8:22:05 AM EDT by sterling18]
What about a block of Ice??? Plus when you're done, there's nothing to clean up. hee hee hee. Also, go see a local farmer, he will give you all the rotten crops you can carry. Again, nothing to clean up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:00:52 AM EDT
Tannerite No question that there was a hit when whatever home appliance you put it in is 30 feet in the air.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:05:37 AM EDT
ive used my .22 reset spinner target. not supposed to, but i set it out at about 100yds and its done fine so far. it really hasnt damaged it at all.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:06:20 AM EDT
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several people recommend eggs. If I could find some cheap/free, I'd love to try them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:11:08 AM EDT
Watermelons make fun targets when you have ballistic tips.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:15:38 AM EDT
I like to shoot empty shotgun shells. I'll second steel targets, if your range allows them. Try shooting clothes pins. They are easier to hit at 100-yards with iron sites than you might think.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:29:50 AM EDT
Clay pigeons. I scatter 'em around the range, on berms, and practice rapid fire drills. My range is pretty remote and when I'm there I am usually alone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:04:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 9:05:47 AM EDT by John-Sheridan]
For steel pop up targets go to http://www.mgmtargets.com. I like the Colt speed plate auto-popper. It sells for $85.00. Now if you wont some real exciting targets go to www.tannerite.com, click on tannerite exploding targets. They are alittle expensive at $8.50 apiece, or $98.00 for 20.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:33:17 AM EDT
Minorities can be fun... Somtimes you'll get a bad batch that'll just lay down and die but most will run, giving you a nice moving target...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:34:58 AM EDT
OK, go look up on the shelves in the utility room, up over the washer/dryer. Clean out those old Rustoleum and Krylon cans that don't spray, but you, for some reason are saving in hopes that they will heal themselves. Do the same out in the garage, workshop, basement, etc. These are GREAT targets, particulary the lighter, brighter colors. I like yellow and orange, as well as red. I never shot them with tracers. Wonder how the propane propellant reacts to that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:44:06 AM EDT
Fill an empty gallon milk jug with water...blammo!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 10:45:26 AM EDT by llanero]
another vote for .22 steel spinning targets. Unopened soda pop cans are pretty cheap/available. Clay pigeons blow up pretty easily as well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:46:45 AM EDT
That is easy see my signature below.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:59:06 AM EDT
Grapefruit, if you have access to it. Lemons also, but a little harder to hit. Freeze those gallon containers of water. Or what ever size suits you. can't stand the pain, don't play the game
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:40:12 AM EDT
Any jugs filled with water or frozen are great. not much to pick up afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:07:29 PM EDT
Old coolers filled with water work pretty good too
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:49:42 PM EDT
A good reactive, reusable, and cheap target is copy paper boxes. Place an inflated balloon in from the open side with a string tied to the balloon. Hang the box from a stand or something with this string. The hole in should be at least 1/2" diameter. You can vary the inside shape of the box with additional cardboard or filler and use different size and shape balloons for a little twist. To make the boxes very durable and resuable, spray on a coat of varnish or two. You can use multiple balloons or different sized boxes to make it a little more difficult. Sarge
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:55:06 PM EDT
My favorite target: old railroad plates (you can find them lying around near RR tracks. The crews just discard them and leave them there). I hang mine from hooks screwed into a piece of 2x4, and the whole thing is held in place with a cheap sawhorse. It's very satisfying to hear the "CLANG" when hit, and the thing swings nicely. You can shoot the thing an insane number of times before it cracks. Total investment: around $10 Rapid fire at 50yds! Semi-rapid fire at 100! Slow fire at 200! You just can't beat it!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:21:31 PM EDT
I shoot on BLM managed public land and Some A HOLES ARE GETTING OUT OF CONTROLL. Latly I have seen all kinds of crap left behind from TVs and computers to bolwing pins and sheetrock. Shit like that is going to make it so I none of us can shoot there any more. People even think it is cute to Shoot the power polls in half. WHAEVER YOU SHOOT AT, IF IT IS ON PUBLIC LAND OR LAND OTHER THAN YOUR OWN, PICK IT UPWHEN YOU ARE DONE OR THERE WILL BE NO PLACES LEFT TO SHOOT.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:28:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By inkaybee: I shoot on BLM managed public land and Some A HOLES ARE GETTING OUT OF CONTROLL. Latly I have seen all kinds of crap left behind from TVs and computers to bolwing pins and sheetrock. Shit like that is going to make it so I none of us can shoot there any more. People even think it is cute to Shoot the power polls in half. WHAEVER YOU SHOOT AT, IF IT IS ON PUBLIC LAND OR LAND OTHER THAN YOUR OWN, PICK IT UPWHEN YOU ARE DONE OR THERE WILL BE NO PLACES LEFT TO SHOOT.
View Quote
True Dat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:17:07 PM EDT
yeah, i hate it when people shoot tv's, computers, and stuff like that, and just leave it. i mean, it's ok to shoot a minority or hippie (bio-degradable).....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:20:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:14:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skieking: yeah, i hate it when people shoot tv's, computers, and stuff like that, and just leave it. i mean, it's ok to shoot a minority or hippie (bio-degradable).....
View Quote
One trend I've noticed about your posts skieking is that your very racist... Ya know what I think? I think you're really a granola eating hippy! And to make things worse you're probably a damn dirty mexican!! I for one am tired of it... Next thing you know you'll be telling everyone to sell their AR's because they're black! Well I hate black people as much as the next guy but thats pushing it! I I think I speak for everyone when I say enough is enough!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:23:23 PM EDT
cube01 - One trend I've noticed about your posts skieking is that your very racist... Ya know what I think? I think you're really a granola eating hippy! And to make things worse you're probably a damn dirty mexican!! I for one am tired of it... Next thing you know you'll be telling everyone to sell their AR's because they're black! Well I hate black people as much as the next guy but thats pushing it! I I think I speak for everyone when I say enough is enough! ------------------------------------------------ cube, now that was just uncalled for. calling me a granola eating hippie. even lower was the mexican part. if i was mexican, i'd end up shooting myself. do you know how much that would suck? not the shooting myself part, but the mexican part. if you hate black people so much, do what i did. take a can of white spray paint and paint your rifles white. while your at it, use that spray paint on black people too. they love that shit....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skieking: cube01 - One trend I've noticed about your posts skieking is that your very racist... Ya know what I think? I think you're really a granola eating hippy! And to make things worse you're probably a damn dirty mexican!! I for one am tired of it... Next thing you know you'll be telling everyone to sell their AR's because they're black! Well I hate black people as much as the next guy but thats pushing it! I I think I speak for everyone when I say enough is enough! ------------------------------------------------ cube, now that was just uncalled for. calling me a granola eating hippie. even lower was the mexican part. if i was mexican, i'd end up shooting myself. do you know how much that would suck? not the shooting myself part, but the mexican part. if you hate black people so much, do what i did. take a can of white spray paint and paint your rifles white. while your at it, use that spray paint on black people too. they love that shit....
View Quote
You're right... That was uncalled for... Nobody deserves to be called a mexican... I'm sorry.. Also, I'll try your white spray paint idea.. There's some black kids that like to play in the street sometimes. Maybe I'll try it on them...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:00:31 PM EDT
see if any junkyards will let you roam and shoot during closed hours
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:44:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By inkaybee: I shoot on BLM managed public land and Some A HOLES ARE GETTING OUT OF CONTROLL. Latly I have seen all kinds of crap left behind from TVs and computers to bolwing pins and sheetrock. Shit like that is going to make it so I none of us can shoot there any more. People even think it is cute to Shoot the power polls in half. WHAEVER YOU SHOOT AT, IF IT IS ON PUBLIC LAND OR LAND OTHER THAN YOUR OWN, PICK IT UPWHEN YOU ARE DONE OR THERE WILL BE NO PLACES LEFT TO SHOOT.
View Quote
Wow... I've never seen this before. Someone using CapsLock because he's actually yelling, not because he's an idiot.... Incredible...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:37:42 PM EDT
Try golf balls, you can get a dozen used ones for about $1. If you cut a slit in cardboard and stuff them in there, you can pick them off and watch them zing all over the place. This works really well with pistols but at a reasonable distance given your optics, this will work for rifle work as well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 6:54:49 PM EDT by ProfGAB101]
Originally Posted By ak10007: That is easy see my signature below. ________________________________________ Rocks, the natural target. Rocks, the cheapest target. Rocks, the best target.
View Quote
Yep I used to paint smilies on the rocks and shoot till the paint was gone, lucky I allways ran out of paint before the ammo was gone. ( BTW - Who doesn't save a few mags for the drive home? )
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:06:56 PM EDT
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/79838/DSC00044.JPG[/img] my friends dad got hit with ricochet .. 223 shot out at 70 + yds .. bounced off thick stainless steel plate and came back and hit shooter right in gut .. my head was inches away ... as i was bent down reloading .. i saw him jump up in fright .. he wasnt wearing eye protection ... i was .. that picture was taken a minute after he was hit .. it was much worse later .. the jacket of the round stuck to his shirt for a second after impact and i saw the whole thing fall off his shirt as he jumped up .. but we couldnt find the piece later .. my point .. DONT ... shoot at heavy thick metal objects .. if you have to .. WEAR EYE PROTECTION .. and USE COMMON SENSE ... for heavens sake ..
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:30:07 PM EDT
Moral of the story . . . always wear eye protection, especially when shooting steel or anything that's harder than cardboard. Your friend could take that shot in his beer belly, but that would ruin your day if you took that in the eye!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:40:33 PM EDT
Try standing some of those little plastic army men from Wally World on top of your target stand. You will have to use tape or some of those little round velcro dots to secure them or they will all fall off if you hit the wood. I used to do this with a .22 when I was a kid. Very sporting indeed. You can also use small paper lunch bags with some flour inside. I used to be hospital lab technician so I had access to lots of outdated units of blood. I took about 40 of them out and hung them from a barbed wire fence and shot them with everything from a 9mm to a 30.06. It looked like there had been a massacre! If the police had tested the blood they would have found it to be 100% human, and of every type there is. And of course there are always wind chimes. I hate those damned things anyway. DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:44:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chrisp929: [url]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/79838/DSC00044.JPG[/url] my friends dad got hit with ricochet .. 223 shot out at 70 + yds .. bounced off thick stainless steel plate and came back and hit shooter right in gut .. my head was inches away ... as i was bent down reloading .. i saw him jump up in fright .. he wasnt wearing eye protection ... i was .. that picture was taken a minute after he was hit .. it was much worse later .. the jacket of the round stuck to his shirt for a second after impact and i saw the whole thing fall off his shirt as he jumped up .. but we couldnt find the piece later .. my point .. DONT ... shoot at heavy thick metal objects .. if you have to .. WEAR EYE PROTECTION .. and USE COMMON SENSE ... for heavens sake ..
View Quote
hit, but still tightly gripping his AR
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:03:22 PM EDT
Next time you go to the range, bring your kid's R/C car, some string, and helium-filled ballons. Makes great moving targets...especially for "sniper" training.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:49:56 PM EDT
when me and my friend went shooting the other day, we went out and bought some cheap Sam's Choice can cokes at Wal-Mart. Just shake them up and BLAMO!! ;)
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:35:08 AM EDT
I just found some cheap targets at Walmart for around $6 for 60 targets. They are called ShatterBlast. They are made by Daisy. They are a bright orange, 2" across, made of clay, and are biodegradable. I have hung them up using safety wire or you can use tape or hot glue to put them on cardboard. You know when you hit them, especially since they are for BBguns. I also use Walmart brand DrPepper or root beer in cans. Just throw them in the back of the truck on the way to the range and they get shaken up and heated up and explode really well due to the high carbonation.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 7:49:27 AM EDT by Collin]
I found a stash of beer that some high school kids had hidden in the woods. It looked like it had been there for some time. I took those to the range, let them sit out in the sun, shook them up...the explosion was impressive. edited to say: The beer was skunked. NOT a case of alcohol abuse!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:25:44 AM EDT
Last night I was feeling a little frisky so I got together some minorities to go out shooting... Just my luck, I got a bad batch.. I think they were all jews cuz they just laid on the ground in a straight line and took it... What a dissapointment..
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:54:37 AM EDT
The best thing to shoot if you can find some is old mannequins. Closest thing to shooting somebody. They tear up good too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:34:09 AM EDT
I'll second the cheap cans of pop. Pick up your empties when your done. Also you may want to try varint hunting. Get a rabbit from the pet store and put it in a cage out there at 100 or 200 yards or so. Get a preditor call and wait for the coyotes. Also something I was always going to try was pick up some road kill and start a little gut pile. Wait for the crows.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:54:37 AM EDT
Old ceramics projects from H.S. work great we shot up about 30 projects last weekend with some .22's ya know when you hit them. old spray paint is great too, sometimes you get a little rocket effect with them .
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:32:19 PM EDT
Full propane tanks in the middle of a ring of fire are fun. The wider the ring of fire, the bigger WHOOMP you get. Redneck friends on private property rule.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:57:06 PM EDT
go to your post office and get a few dozen AOL cd's (thats what I do whenever I go there lol. as I am getting the mail, I take 5 or 6 from each box, so I usually come home with about 20 or so). you take the CD, and you want to gently prope it up, with a large paper target behind it. the idea is to shoot through the hole in the middle. if you can shoot through the hole, your doing very well. when you miss, the CD gets a giant hole in it and falls over. or, you can take your shotgun, and have someone chuck the CD's for you. thats all theyre good for, cause AOL sucks! btw, Aerosol cans of all types are great fun. when you shoot them, take a small birthday candle or something and put that in front of it. aim for the middle, it will spin in place. aim for the bottom, it will spin all over the place. aim for the top just below the nozzle, and sometimes it will turn into a rocket. ive tried various hair-sprays, degreasers, lubes, disinfectants, spray paints and stuff. I still havent tried a bottle of shaving cream, 'silly string' or whip-cream yet though...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:01:37 PM EDT
I like using liberal democrats...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:16:18 PM EDT
I have a friend who lives right down the road and he makes those concrete lawn statues. he gives away the broken ones. 22lr makes them dust, 223 takes out chips, 7.62 x 54R will remove body parts like the head on a deer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:31:57 PM EDT
Blocks of ice are fun, I'm really interested in Tannerite but I'd prefer to have private property to shoot it on. I recently blasted my old mower to hell, it went up in flames and was quite entertaining. Clean up your mess, leaving blasted crap on peoples property or state land is not going to help anyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:44:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By drjarhead: Clay pigeons. I scatter 'em around the range, on berms, and practice rapid fire drills. My range is pretty remote and when I'm there I am usually alone.
View Quote
did this when a bunch of us went to a friends camp. we put them everywhere, some partially hidden. i was having fun messing with my friends shooting AR's and i was picking them off with my 10FP
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:31:52 AM EDT
gooks are fun...they are pretty tough. sometimes you gotta hit em a couple times....fun times....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:33:16 AM EDT
MODERATOR PLEASE TERMINATE THIS THREAD BECAUSE OF THE INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS MADE IN REGARDS TO USING PEOPLE AS TARGETS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top