Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 4:46:40 PM EDT
I saw the Tactical Carbine 1 video in the latest Blue Press and was wondering if anyone has seen this video. If so, is it worthwhile?

Tom
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen it. I liked it. If your new or just had minimal exposure to ARs or want to know about some basic CQB drills, etc. it's worth a look. I also liked Lenny McGuills "Mastering the AR15". That video covers the basics, plus some CQB stuff. I recommend it to people new to the AR15. I got both, personally if I had to choose between the 2, I'd go with Lenny Mcguills video. His stuff can be a little cheesy at times, but has good info.It usually sells/retails a bit cheaper to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to read this [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=191167]discussion[/url] before buying any video.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If they are for newbies some can be a good primer. Basic skills\drills etc. Most as stated are 20-60% advertisement for their products or services. You can find some good infobits mixed in here and there.

There was one video I would strongly suggest avoiding the Clark Custom videos(10\22 in specific). This was a 95% ad. with a nice tour of their shop.

There is one video in paticular that was very good. Unfortunately I can't remember which one. It was an Urban tactics\swat\CQB type video. They used sims and paintball guns and demonstrated the importance of movement under fire\stress. Room\house clearing. Good video.

The gunsite videos are decent. Not anything fabulous but probably better than most.

The Maj. Plaster "ultimate sniper" video isn't worth getting. The book on the other hand is excellent.

I would love to find some videos that actually gave actual instruction. Like an actual training session even in real time, minus the student practice but with the instuctor demonstrating. Even if one session lasted 3-4 videos I feel this would be more worth it. Insrtuctors probably won't allow this due to proffit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
[b] I have it and watched it a few times and both times was disappointed with it . I don't think you get enough information about different types of tactics .  The Lenny Magill Video  Mastering the AR-15 is a whole lot better. Also his tape called  AR-15 CQC tactical Shooting is real good.  I read that review in the Blue Press and after reading that and than watching the video you won't be happy. At least I wasn't.  If you still want that video  email me  I'll make you a deal . [/b]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I'm going to pass on the Gunsite video and look into finding some of these other titles you mentioned.

It is a shame good training isn't more widely available at a rate that someone without a medical degree could afford. I think $1200-$1500 for some of these courses that you take with 11 other people and it doesn't even cover ammo or lodging is over the top. I don't doubt the value of the training, I just don't understand why these guys think they need to make $18,000 a class. Wouldn't it be great if a highly qualified trainer provided training like a Thunder Ranch or a Gunsite for $500, or if your $1500 got you lodging and ammo for the week in addition to the training. People would line up to participate. I'm sorry but I just don't think a training week for one person should cost more than an all inclusive Mexican Beach vacation for two.

Tom  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The Kelly McCann videos are very good IMHO. You will actually learn stuff by watching them. He has numerous ones out, including sets that deal with everything from pistols, carbines, hand to hand, batons, pepper-spray, knives and even protecting yourself from terrorism. Out of all the videos I have seen, these are tops. But they are expensive. I can't wait until I can get some extra funds to order more. Kelly McCann, aka Jim Grover is a very intelligent guy who has a good military background (I think he was in Marine Corp Spec Ops) and has knowledge dealing with counter-terrorism and other things. He trains lots of police, military and federal agencies and is also a security/terrorism expert for CNN.

The Louis Awerbuck videos are also pretty good, especially "Only Hits Count". He also has a tactical shotgun video and some other stuff.

Both the McCann and Awerbuck videos are available at [url]www.paladinpress.com[/url].

While no video is the equal to an actual class, they are good for review and obviously, better than no training at all. But being in the presence of the instructor, so he/she can correct your form is what's most lacking. None the less, if you give good attention to detail, you can pick up lots of info from videos. Good luck in your search.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top