Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2003 10:31:18 PM EDT
Ok i've been thinking about getting a some type of launcher for my AR-15. Mainly because I think they will make my baby look sooooo badass! (pics of yours anyone?)
So what are some options? the only one i found was the one on the busmaster site. What is the difference between 37mm and 40mm? Can a civilian aquire 40mm launchers? or perhaps 37mm that are rated for police gas canisters?
Please send post any websites you know of which one can order them from.
Thanks

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/701-20lsk.asp
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:47:51 PM EDT
40mm = grenade launcher = illegal for civilians. 37mm = flare launcher = legal for civilians Go with a 37mm and have fun with flares and birdbombs and whatnot.. if you really REALLY want to get those police canisters (and somehow have a source for them) then have someone machine you a chamber to handle the extra pressure. You wont be able to tell the difference (visually) between a LE 37mm and a civilian 37mm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:52:45 PM EDT
40mm is a Destructive Device - Yes you can get them subject to state and local law. The launcher will cost about 12x (thats twelve times) more expensive than a 37mm. Ammo for 40 is also out there - again check ALL local laws, there maybe special storage regs besides the rules of possession. - You will not get any Explosive rounds unless you want to bay a $200 tax per round - and can convince your local LEO to sign for them - AND find a source in your state since shipping DD inter state is also a major hemroid. 37mm - Don't possess a shotshell adaptor unless you have registered as SBS/SBR (depending on config) Also a 40mm can only be mounted on a pre-ban - while a 37mm isn't a true grenade launcher it would be prudent to also only mount those to a pre-ban rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 1:32:35 AM EDT by Va_Dinger]
What does the preban/postban status of the host weapon have to do with mounting a M203? I have been kicking around the idea of buying one of Randy Shivak's(mr40mm.com) Mil-Spec M203's for awhile. I know the 40mm version must be registered as a form 1. He also sells a 37mm sleeved M203 that is classified as a flare launcher. I have never read anything that talks about restrictions on postban rifle mounting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:19:12 AM EDT
You may not have more than one of the following on a semi auto magazine fed rifle. Flash hider (Including silencer) Threads for a flash hider Folding or collapsing stock Grenade Launcher (including muzzle devises that can take rifle grenades) Pistol grip Bayonette lug Posession of more than one of these features is a violation of the 94 Assault Weapons Ban.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:18:09 AM EDT
So does anyone know where to get some 37mm launchers online? And most importantly any fun ammo (such as practice rounds or shotshell adapters)? Or are flares the only thing you can fire out of them. Because i doubt the local ranger would be too fond of flares being fired in a wooded area.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:57:37 AM EDT
[url]37mm.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:08:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL: You may not have more than one of the following on a semi auto magazine fed rifle. Flash hider (Including silencer) Threads for a flash hider Folding or collapsing stock Grenade Launcher (including muzzle devises that can take rifle grenades) Pistol grip Bayonette lug Posession of more than one of these features is a violation of the 94 Assault Weapons Ban.
View Quote
This means that you can't have an M203 on a post-ban, but you can have a flare launcher...right? I'm sorta confused, but I think Bushmaster would put a ristricted warning on the site if it weren't legal for Post-bans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:21:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15zams: This means that you can't have an M203 on a post-ban, but you can have a flare launcher...right?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:31:45 PM EDT
Check this badboy out. I got this off of 37mm.com. It's an FN F2000 with M203. Looks alot like an OICW. [img]http://37mm.com/lotw/images/f2000_grenade.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:40:31 PM EDT
37mm is great. I'm reallying wanting one for my preban AR as well. They're also great for fireworks/celebrations on the fourth I have heard.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:04:47 PM EDT
Thanks for all the help. So can one legally fire bean bags and other types of less-leathal-ammunition through a 37mm launcher? Or only flares? How do you know if a 37mm launcher is rated for less-leathal-ammo? or are they all? thanks alot again!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:07:23 AM EDT
Sorry but a bean bag round is classified as a DD(destructive device) and therefore illegal. I don't know why this is but the ATF's position is that you cannot shoot anti-personnel ammunition(bean bag, flechette, grenade, etc.) unless its a registered DD. The ammo I've seen for the 37mm are flares, bird bombs, and smoke canisters. Anyone know if you can modify the 37mm to attach to the SIR?, that would be intimidating AR if you could do it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:45:56 AM EDT
You can also check www.firequest.com for ammo and launchers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:17:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lockedon: Thanks for all the help. So can one legally fire bean bags and other types of less-leathal-ammunition through a 37mm launcher?
View Quote
No - see the above reference to 'Destructive Devices'
Or only flares?
View Quote
Flares, Star Bursts (a signalling round that looks like you fired several small flares at once), smoke, bird bombs (small explosives meant to frighten birds from the crops - though I understand these are not sold/made anymore). I also have heard of people making their own 'practice rounds' using 35mm film canisters filled with powder or colored sand (they would act like the 'pumpkin' practice rounds we used in the M203. However, I think these are questionable legally.
How do you know if a 37mm launcher is rated for less-leathal-ammo? or are they all? thanks alot again!
View Quote
Some will shoot the LTL round others will not. The guys on 37mm.com generally have the answers to this kind of question. However its really a moot point as you can't legally shoot a LTL round throught your 37mm w/o registering as a destructive device and pay the $200 tax.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 8:14:46 AM EDT by Slumlord]
Originally Posted By JzeMarksman: Sorry but a bean bag round is classified as a DD(destructive device) and therefore illegal. I don't know why this is but the ATF's position is that you cannot shoot anti-personnel ammunition(bean bag, flechette, grenade, etc.) unless its a registered DD.
View Quote
You can get all those types of rounds for 12 gauge shotguns. I could be wrong but I don't think those are DD's. [url=http://www.fire-balls.com/catalog.asp?display=1]link for example[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:45:15 AM EDT
The 12 gauge specialty ammunition are legal because the nature of that firearm is inherently lethal, I don't why specifically that these types of ammunition is illegal to shoot out of the 37mm. I believe it would have to do with the 37mm not being classified as a firearm but as a flare launcher. I guess a comparison would be if someone was using 12 gauge slugs in a Orion flare launcher, though you would have to be one amazing moron to attempt that kind of feat. Here some links that may answer some of the legal Q's: [url]http://37mm.com/legal/federal1.asp[/url] [url]http://37mm.com/legal/federal.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:54:06 AM EDT
Can anyone give me a good argument for investing in a flare launcher such as this other than LCF (Look Cool Factor) and fun on the 4th of July? I love how they look, but have a personal philosophy against gun additions that are not of practical value.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:34:17 AM EDT
just like Bushmaster says: "This is the ultimate signaling device for hunters, campers, boaters, forest rangers, police, etc." YEAH RIGHT!! I agree that its main purpose is the LCF, but I think that it is enough of an LCF to get me to buy it, although, I will try to find it used. Or, one could actually make a fake one, its just a pipe with some trinkits on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:47:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006: Or, one could actually make a fake one, its just a pipe with some trinkits on it.
View Quote
There's also the receiver, which contains the trigger group, and the mounts (which have to be good and stable)... Slightly more complicated than a pipe with some trinkts on it..
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:43:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006: Or, one could actually make a fake one, its just a pipe with some trinkits on it.
View Quote
Check into Airsoft accessories.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:10:03 PM EDT
Dear Lockedon, If you have a nice rifle and you start putting junk on it you have a junky weapon system. The 203 copy setup will denegrate all of the handling qualities of your base rifle. The balance will be all forward, the accuracy is degraded by the weight of the launcher on the barrel. And what will you do with the 37mm flares, light up the sky for an illuminated attack? This is your point where you decide if you want to use your rifle for rifle craft (as per Jeff Cooper or Clint Smith) or turn it into a boondoggle so you think you can impress the folks at the range just like the amateur shooters who fire at the cyclic rate on semi-auto to see how fast they can burn ammo. Take care killer!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:15:01 PM EDT
check into airsoft accessories
View Quote
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:06:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 800Mtrs: You can also check www.firequest.com for ammo and launchers.
View Quote
Thank you for that website.....DAMN....HOTT (with a double T) But back to ARs now, thanks for the help so far...i see everyones point about how unpractical it is...perhaps i will invest in optics....Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:25:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cube01: There's also the receiver, which contains the trigger group, and the mounts (which have to be good and stable)... Slightly more complicated than a pipe with some trinkts on it..
View Quote
Not like the trigger group has to work. Its fake. Does not even really need a trigger. doesent matter, I will never do it anyway. still waiting to get my first AR from RRA. I can't wait to get my black rifle
Top Top